An Introduction

  • Catherine Townson
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 24 8:04 AM
      I just thought I'd pass along a little note of hello.

      My name is Catherine Townson, originally of An Tir, now residing in
      Ealdormere. I'm a long-term SCA member, but a new archer. I'm
      currently taking a mundane archery class, and am looking at putting
      together my own kit.

      Nice to meet you all,
      -Cate.
    • Ld.blackmoon
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 24 11:54 AM
        greetings

         welcome to the world of archery ; )

        Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
        Arthur
        I just thought I'd pass along a little note of hello.

        My name is Catherine Townson, originally of An Tir, now residing in
        Ealdormere. I'm a long-term SCA member, but a new archer. I'm
        currently taking a mundane archery class, and am looking at putting
        together my own kit.

        Nice to meet you all,
        -Cate.

        No virus found in this message.

      • Taslen
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 24 12:07 PM
          Cate,

          Welcome to the group is there SCA archery available in your group?

          Gaelen O'Gradaigh
          Midrealm archery marshal of the field

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 24 2:29 PM
            She's an An Tirian spy. Watch out!

            just Baron James

            On 7/24/12, Catherine Townson <cate.townson@...> wrote:
            > I just thought I'd pass along a little note of hello.
            >
            > My name is Catherine Townson, originally of An Tir, now residing in
            > Ealdormere. I'm a long-term SCA member, but a new archer. I'm
            > currently taking a mundane archery class, and am looking at putting
            > together my own kit.
            >
            > Nice to meet you all,
            > -Cate.

          • Catherine Townson
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 25 7:15 AM
              Thank you all foe the warm welcome.

              Gaelen, there is a sporadic practice that happens some Sundays in the
              summer about an hour from me. There are also a number of mundane
              indoor and outdoor ranges within a 1 hr drive.

              -Cate.

              PS - Hello, James.

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 25 7:23 AM
                Cate,

                Are there any upcomming events in your area that will offer archery? If there is a marshal free there I'm sure you could get some one on one time with one of the marshals

                Gaelen

                Gaelen, there is a sporadic practice that happens some Sundays in the
                summer about an hour from me. There are also a number of mundane
                indoor and outdoor ranges within a 1 hr drive.

                -Cate.

                PS - Hello, James.

                On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Taslen <taslen2000@...> wrote:

                > Cate,
                >
                > Welcome to the group is there SCA archery available in your group?
                >
                > Gaelen O'Gradaigh
                > Midrealm archery marshal of the field

              • Susan Carroll-Clark
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 25 8:00 AM
                  Greetings!

                  Cate, where are you in Ealdormere?

                  As far as upcoming events, we're currently in Pennsic mode. Next event
                  that may possibly have archery is Baron's Howe over Labour Day
                  weekend. Day of Piracy the third weekend of September will definitely
                  have archery.

                  Nicolaa
                  Ealdormere Kingdom Archery Marshal

                  --
                  Sent from my mobile device
                • Catherine Townson
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 25 8:42 AM
                    Hello Nicolaa,

                    I'm in Caldrithig.

                    Thank you for the event info. I will see what I can attend.

                    -Cate.

                    On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Susan Carroll-Clark
                    <nicolaa.de.bracton@...> wrote:
                    > Greetings!
                    >
                    > Cate, where are you in Ealdormere?
                    >
                    > As far as upcoming events, we're currently in Pennsic mode. Next event
                    > that may possibly have archery is Baron's Howe over Labour Day
                    > weekend. Day of Piracy the third weekend of September will definitely
                    > have archery.
                    >
                    > Nicolaa
                    > Ealdormere Kingdom Archery Marshal
                  • Daibheid an Senchaid
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 31 11:57 AM
                      Greetings Archers,

                      I am Ruaidri ua hAirt, a moderately long-time SCA participant but an absolute newcomer to archery - period or otherwise. My local group does not have an Archery Marshall, nor any active archers (that I've been able to discover), so I'm really at a loss as to how to begin participating or even locating the proper equipment, for that matter. Any and all guidance will be gratefully received.

                      YIS,
                      Ruaidri ua hAirt
                      Shire of Dragonsmark
                    • Ld.blackmoon
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 31 12:43 PM
                        greetings

                         and welcome to the missile community  ; )

                        I looked up your shire but it didn't give any info as to which barony it was attached , they may have a missile marshal listed .

                        I believe this is your kingdoms regional missile marshal directory ,   http://www.midrealm.org/marshal/archery.php     that would probably be a good place to start for kingdom specific information ..

                        this is the link for the sca target archery and thrown weapons rules ; )    http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/t_archery/

                        hope that helps

                        Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                        Arthur

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 31 1:49 PM
                          Arthur,

                          Thank you for the welcome. I did approach the shire first through the Yahoo group, but couldn't find much information regarding getting started in archery. I believe they used to have a marshal at one time, but the position is currently vacant. I will definitely browse the marshal directory. Thank you for the link!

                          Ruaidri

                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Ld.blackmoon" <ld.blackmoon@...> wrote:

                          > greetings
                          >
                          > and welcome to the missile community ; )
                          >
                          > I looked up your shire but it didn't give any info as to which barony it was attached , they may have a missile marshal listed .
                          > your local group elist may also put you in touch with other local area archers ; )
                          >
                          > I believe this is your kingdoms regional missile marshal directory , http://www.midrealm.org/marshal/archery.php that would probably be a good place to start for kingdom specific information ..
                          >
                          > this is the link for the sca target archery and thrown weapons rules ; ) http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/t_archery/
                          >
                          > hope that helps
                          >
                          > Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                          > Arthur

                        • lekervere
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 31 1:49 PM
                            Rauidri,

                            Don't be too worried about the proper equipment yet. Get something that works and go out and shoot. If you can't find an SCA venue, find a local bow club, maybe through NFAA. My own reentry into archery started as I was making a chair and the lumber was a particularly straight piece of ash. I just had to make a bow, and then I had to find a place to shoot it. The other motivation was a need to get some exercise. Any archery, alone or with friends, is better than a day indoors.

                            That first bow wasn't all that good, but it was fun to shoot and it got me back into the sport.

                            If there is no archery marshal in your area, consider becoming that marshal. In effect, you have to be able to run a safe range. Contact your Kingdom archery officer and ask about it. Then put out the word to your local group that you're going to practice, and invite them to show up. This doesn't have to be a regular practice yet. At worst, you get a day outdoors shooting things. At best, you get some company.

                            As you discover the shortcomings of your equipment, this list is a good resource for what might be out there, either traditional or modern.

                            This is the SCA. You do the best you can, and if you're having fun, the sport is serving its purpose.

                            Edward le Kervere

                            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Daibheid an Senchaid" <daibheid_an_senchaid@...> wrote:

                            > Greetings Archers,
                            >
                            > I am Ruaidri ua hAirt, a moderately long-time SCA participant but an absolute newcomer to archery - period or otherwise. My local group does not have an Archery Marshall, nor any active archers (that I've been able to discover), so I'm really at a loss as to how to begin participating or even locating the proper equipment, for that matter. Any and all guidance will be gratefully received.
                            >
                            > YIS,
                            > Ruaidri ua hAirt
                            > Shire of Dragonsmark

                          • Daibheid an Senchaid
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 31 5:52 PM
                              Edward,

                              Thank you for the great advice. I want the bow that I invest in to not only be adequate for practice and informal shooting, but to be of the proper type/style to allow me to shoot competitively at events (a long way off, of course, but it's a goal!). I've done enough research to know that I want to begin with a recurve, but I don't know enough about the manufacturers or models to know which bows are "SCA appropriate" and which are not. I'm not worried about strict period adherence at this point, though.

                              I am fortunate enough to live on a farm with several acres so practice space isn't an issue for myself or others, should there be a need.

                              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "lekervere" <edwoodguy@...> wrote:

                              > Rauidri,
                              >
                              > Don't be too worried about the proper equipment yet. Get something that works and go out and shoot. If you can't find an SCA venue, find a local bow club, maybe through NFAA. My own reentry into archery started as I was making a chair and the lumber was a particularly straight piece of ash. I just had to make a bow, and then I had to find a place to shoot it. The other motivation was a need to get some exercise. Any archery, alone or with friends, is better than a day indoors.
                              >
                              > That first bow wasn't all that good, but it was fun to shoot and it got me back into the sport.
                              >
                              > If there is no archery marshal in your area, consider becoming that marshal. In effect, you have to be able to run a safe range. Contact your Kingdom archery officer and ask about it. Then put out the word to your local group that you're going to practice, and invite them to show up. This doesn't have to be a regular practice yet. At worst, you get a day outdoors shooting things. At best, you get some company.
                              >
                              > As you discover the shortcomings of your equipment, this list is a good resource for what might be out there, either traditional or modern.
                              >
                              > This is the SCA. You do the best you can, and if you're having fun, the sport is serving its purpose.
                              >
                              > Edward le Kervere

                            • Oblio of Abertwidr
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 31 7:35 PM
                                On 01/08/2012, Daibheid an Senchaid <daibheid_an_senchaid@...> wrote:
                                > Greetings Archers,
                                >
                                > I am Ruaidri ua hAirt, a moderately long-time SCA participant but an
                                > absolute newcomer to archery - period or otherwise. My local group does not
                                > have an Archery Marshall, nor any active archers (that I've been able to
                                > discover), so I'm really at a loss as to how to begin participating or even
                                > locating the proper equipment, for that matter. Any and all guidance will
                                > be gratefully received.
                                >
                                > YIS,
                                > Ruaidri ua hAirt
                                > Shire of Dragonsmark

                                Hello.

                                I suggest that the first thing that you do, is to try to find a local
                                Target Archery, archery club, that is affiliated to FITA, and, if you
                                can find such a local archery club that is sufficiently close to you,
                                undertake a formal beginners course, so that you can hopefully be
                                taught to shoot properly and safely, and so that you are properly
                                advised as to an appropriate bow to buy.

                                Far too many people, especially in the SCA, in the absence of proper
                                training for archery beginners, are not taught how to shoot properly
                                and safely, or, how to choose an appropriate bow, and pose risks to
                                themselves and others.

                                As an archer for several years, outside the SCA, before joining the
                                SCA, I have seen too many archers, both within and without the SCA,
                                who are overbowed - have bows with unjustifiably excessive draw
                                weights, which pose the risk of permanent damage to the archer.

                                This is just one particular point that has been raised repeatedly, in
                                this state's Target Archery governing body, and, at a national
                                (Australia) level, by state and national coaches of the body
                                officially recognised as governing Target Archery.

                                Once an archer gets a shoulder injury from drawing a bow that has too
                                greater a draw weight, depending on for how long the archer has been
                                ignoring the pain (pain should not be ignored, in archery, but, some
                                archers think that they know better than their bodies, and, suffer for
                                it, for the rest of their lives), the damage can be permanent.

                                I believe that a bow with a draw weight higher than the Combat Archery
                                limit of 30lb, is unjustifiable in the SCA, where the maximum target
                                distance shot in the IKAC, is 40 yards, or, about 35m.

                                I have shot 70m; 77 yards, with a 35lb American Flatbow (one of my
                                bows), and, with my wife's 30lb American Flatbow. So, a 30lb bow is
                                adequate for Target Archery, up to 70m. Shooting 90m (100 yards), I
                                had to use a higher draw weight, but, up to 70m, a 30lb bow is quite
                                adequate

                                A bow for an adult beginner, is usually best not exceeding 20lb in
                                draw weight, until the archer has settled into archery and has
                                sufficient experience to have established a reasonably stable draw
                                length. The draw length affects the draw weight of a bow, and, may
                                cause the draw weight made by the archer, to be different to the draw
                                weight specified by the bow manufacturer; the draw weight usually
                                being specified for a standard draw length of 28". These are just some
                                of the aspects involved in a formal and accredited Target Archery
                                Instructors training course, which I have undertaken.

                                If you buy a takedown recurve bow, you can start with light limbs,
                                and, replace the limbs as you need, without having to replace the
                                whole of the bow, or any other part apart from the limbs.

                                Depending on where you want to go, in archery in the SCA, apart from
                                you wanting to (at this time, as it can change) limit yourself to
                                shooting a recurve bow, if you do not need an arrow shelf or arrow
                                rest, and, are wiling to shoot off the hand, once you get a bit of
                                experience, and are ready for a 30lb bow, I suggest considering the
                                Samick SLB 50 horsebow, with a 30lb draw weight.They are relatively
                                inexpensive, and are reasonably popular, and, apart for being a good
                                bow for Combat Archery (so I am told), qualify as a Period Bow, in the
                                IKAC.

                                I am a person whose preference is the English Longbow style bow, but
                                not many people shoot a pure English Longbow style bow, here, in the
                                SCA. I have not yet shot with anyone else with the same type of bow,
                                in the SCA, in this state.

                                So, I strongly recommend that you seek out a local Target Archery club
                                that is affiliated to FITA, and undertake a formal archery beginners
                                course, before shooting in the SCA, for your own safety, in addition
                                to protecting the safety of others.

                                --
                                Oblio the Unregistered,
                                Heretic of Abertwidr

                                Per fructu, non folii

                                "Obsequium parit amicos; veritas parit odium"
                                - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106BCE -43BCE)

                                "There is no religion higher than truth"
                                - Helena Petrovna Blavatsky (1831CE - 1891CE)
                              • Oblio of Abertwidr
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 31 7:39 PM
                                  On 01/08/2012, Ld.blackmoon <ld.blackmoon@...> wrote:
                                  > greetings
                                  >
                                  > and welcome to the missile community ; )
                                  >
                                  > I looked up your shire but it didn't give any info as to which barony it was
                                  > attached , they may have a missile marshal listed .
                                  > your local group elist may also put you in touch with other local area
                                  > archers ; )

                                  My understanding is that a Shire is independent (unless it is an
                                  Incipient Shire) of any Barony; that a Shire stands on its own, as a
                                  local group that reports directly to a Principality or Kingdom.

                                  --
                                  Oblio the Unregistered,
                                  Heretic of Abertwidr
                                  of the Western Shores
                                  In the Kingdom of Lochac

                                  Per fructu, non folii

                                  "Obsequium parit amicos; veritas parit odium"
                                  - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106BCE -43BCE)

                                  "There is no religion higher than truth"
                                  - Helena Petrovna Blavatsky (1831CE - 1891CE)
                                • JDS
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 31 7:56 PM
                                    Hello All

                                    Draw weight I tend to agree that nothing
                                    over (I will say) 50# is needed in the SCA
                                    You can, as said before shoot a York round
                                    100 Yards with a 24# bow
                                    (admittedly tunes and matched arrows)
                                    MOST of us I would say shoot in the 25-40 # range.
                                    No need to hurt your self
                                    And "Macho" scores no extra points.

                                    & if i recall the rules for bows are (from memory)
                                    no sights ,balance weights,and cover up
                                    any skeleton's /blatant modernity.

                                    It is an excellent idea to go try bows
                                    if it does not feel an look Good to you
                                    you will not want to shoot it as much.

                                    is
                                    Johann
                                    An Tir

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 31 8:30 PM
                                      greetings

                                       no problem , good luck and enjoy yourself ; )

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 31 9:17 PM

                                        greetings

                                         true, but many shires start off as cantons, attached to baronies until they can gather enough people / experience to move up to shire status ; )
                                        it would have been easy for me to direct him to the nearest barony, if i knew which one that was : )

                                        Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                                        Arthur

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 31 9:54 PM

                                          greetings

                                          just so you know ,  fita isn't your only option, another very good book for learning proper technique is the boy scout archery booklet.
                                          there are several groups out there that  teach or instruct proper form. ( you might even find some good sources online )
                                           find the one your most comfortable with, and practice till it becomes " natural " ; )

                                          as to limiting an adult male to a 20 # bow , it's up to you, but I would only recommend that if the person was recovering from an injury, or was very slight of build ,  as it is very , very easy to overdraw a 20 # bow , and a new archer really doesn't want to experience an arrow shattering next to their faces , from pegging the bow : (
                                          30 #  is plenty low enough for most guys and many gals . ( and has the bonus in many kingdoms of being legal for combat archery ,  ( check your kingdom rules ; )
                                          so it doesn't have to sit in a closet when you move to a heavier bow later on )
                                          and just from the expense involved , having to buy a 20 # , a 30 # , a 35 # , and then the # you actually want to shoot , can get outrageous, especially with all the new and replacement arrows...
                                           while it is good to practice form with a light weight bow , some people like a flatter trajectory , and if your planning on some day hunting , you will need to check your state for poundage requirements
                                          ( okla. requires a 40# bow minimum to hunt )
                                          the one thing I will add is that it is better to get the information 1st, then shoot , once you develop bad habits , it's hard to change them : /

                                          oh and be aware , the horse bow may not qualify for " period " in your kingdoms royal round , you will need to check with your kingdoms rules . ( although they are fun to shoot ; )

                                          I make self bows, and wood laminate bows ( no fiberglass, just woods and glue ) as well as shooting an old Ben Pearson recurve .
                                          best I can suggest is , shoot what you can afford, what's comfortable for you, and then work towards finding what type of period equipment you might like to build or buy in the future ; )

                                          oh and just because i haven't seen anyone else post this for you, check your kingdom rules, and state laws , but many people find that a period style crossbow is another way to participate in the archery community.
                                          and there are several places that will sell you parts, or even completed crossbows at decent prices .
                                          so you might want to see how your kingdom feels about crossbows as well ; )

                                          again good luck and favorable winds

                                          Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                                          Arthur

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 1, 2012
                                            Thank you all for your excellent advice. I definitely want to minimize my investment by making sure I purchase the most versatile bow for my needs. Seeking out formal archery training was something that I hadn't thought about, but I'll certainly be pursuing. Again, I appreciate all the help that you've provided.

                                          • JonThomme De Claydon
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Aug 1, 2012
                                              I will reinforce what Rudaidri has said,
                                              30-35 pound draw is all you need but should be worked up to from a lower poundage.
                                              I love the Samick SLB 50 horsebow, with a 30lb draw weight. A shooter in my barony has this and it's my favorite bow to shoot. It just works well. It will be the first brand new bow  I will ever buy. It is ambidextrous so your left-handedness will not matter.
                                              I bought the first LH bow I found on Craigs list and lucked on to a good shooting and collectable bow for $55.
                                              Haunt CL and you can find LH bows there.

                                              In service to the dream

                                              Baron Jon Thomme

                                              Gold is for the mistress
                                              Silver for the maid