RE: [SCA-Archery] bow cases

  • Lewis, Jason
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31 2:43 PM
      I have a soft Bowbag given to me by Michael Van Bergen and I think soft is
      better. As for where to get them. Cabela's sells them, and really any
      archery company I think

      Gwalchmai

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 31 2:48 PM
        For my ELB I have a period linnen bow bag from historic enterprises.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 31 2:49 PM
          > i am curious as to what everyone prefers a soft case or a hard case for
          > their bow??? and where do you get your cases or what do you make them out
          > of???????
          >
          > caitilin

          Being new to the whole archery thing, I made my own bow padded bow
          case. I used t- shot popplin and old thick towel for padding [didn't
          want to get banged to badly!]. Simple to make. The cloth is black
          with my badge painted on it. So far it's served me well.

          Conchobhar
        • INEZ ADAMS
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 31 3:35 PM
            Hi.

            In answer to your question re bow cases.

            I personally prefer hard cases for my period longbow.

            I have a canvas soft case that laps over the top of the bow approx.
            3 to 4 inches, Then a 3 in diameter pvc pipe with caps that the
            soft case goes in. and this protects it quite nicely.

            Also the pvc pipe can be painted or covered with either
            fabric or leather to disguise what it is, and to
            personalize it.

            Innes
          • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 31 3:47 PM
              In regards to bow cases, I think Innes said it best. I have soft linen
              or cloth bow bags for going up to the range from camp or dragon, but
              while traveling to an event or especially Pennsic I have a hard PVC
              fishing rod case that will allow me to carry three longbows(each in
              their own bags). I also carry my arrows in a separate hard case when
              travelling and then transfer the ones that I wish to my quiver. As
              careful as we all try to be when packing for travel,
              there is the inevitable accident of the cook stove or something heavy
              and hard rolling over onto your precious and fragile archery tackle.
              Many archers of cultures outside of western Europe had hard cases as a
              matter of course, but the traditional longbowmen of Britain mostly used
              linen bags(if this is a consideration). But then they normally carried
              their gear on their person, not in jam packed vans or station wagons
              with everything else.
              Geoffrei
            • MtLion
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 31 5:54 PM
                So a hollowed out 7' walking stick should do quite well? That's my personal
                preference once I get the string knocks set right for my long bow.

                Gottfried
                of the WEB
                > In answer to your question re bow cases.
                >
                > I personally prefer hard cases for my period longbow.
                >
                > I have a canvas soft case that laps over the top of the bow approx.
                > 3 to 4 inches, Then a 3 in diameter pvc pipe with caps that the
                > soft case goes in. and this protects it quite nicely.
                >
                > Also the pvc pipe can be painted or covered with either
                > fabric or leather to disguise what it is, and to
                > personalize it.
                >
                > Innes

              • Angus
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000

                  >i am curious as to what everyone prefers a soft case or a hard case for
                  >their bow??? and where do you get your cases or what do you make them out
                  >of???????
                  >
                  >caitilin

                  I'm guessing the kind of bow to be stored/carried is eiter a longbow/flatbow or one piece recurve.
                  Personally I prefer a soft "case" (cloth sleeve). They're easy to make yourself and I don't think I've ever seen a hard case for a longbow/flatbow.
                  /angus

                  ==
                  The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.
                  -- Voltaire

                  Get your own mando cool and totally free email@... address at http://freemail.iamawitch.com today!
                • Rhonda New
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000
                    Rupert Gaddy wrote:

                    > You can make your own hard case of PVC by getting a large diameter piece of
                    > pipe, and two screw on end caps and a little PVC glue.....I suggest some
                    > small vent holes as well so you don't get condensation problems.

                    You know those little packages of silicone beads that come in the
                    shoe box with a new pair of shoes? Well, these work well at keeping
                    out moisture when dropped into the bow case (or into a quiver). They
                    can also be purchased but, heh, free is free!

                    /Elizabeth Hawkwood
                  • Rupert Gaddy
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000
                      You can make your own hard case of PVC by getting a large diameter piece of
                      pipe, and two screw on end caps and a little PVC glue.....I suggest some
                      small vent holes as well so you don't get condensation problems.

                      Ld Rupert the Persistent

                      At 06:47 PM 7/31/00 -0400, you wrote:
                      >In regards to bow cases, I think Innes said it best. I have soft linen
                      >or cloth bow bags for going up to the range from camp or dragon, but
                      >while traveling to an event or especially Pennsic I have a hard PVC
                      >fishing rod case that will allow me to carry three longbows(each in
                      >their own bags). I also carry my arrows in a separate hard case when
                      >travelling and then transfer the ones that I wish to my quiver. As
                      >careful as we all try to be when packing for travel,
                      >there is the inevitable accident of the cook stove or something heavy
                      >and hard rolling over onto your precious and fragile archery tackle.
                      >Many archers of cultures outside of western Europe had hard cases as a
                      >matter of course, but the traditional longbowmen of Britain mostly used
                      >linen bags(if this is a consideration). But then they normally carried
                      >their gear on their person, not in jam packed vans or station wagons
                      >with everything else.
                      >Geoffrei
                      >

                      >Get paid to surf at http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=HOK790
                      >
                      >This list sponsored by House Wyvern Hall, BBM, East Kingdom, SCA
                      >[Email to SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@... to leave this list]

                    • Michael vanBergen
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000
                        Soft bags are easy. Find any durable fabric, say corduroy for an example.
                        Unstring the bow and measure its length plus a few inches. Width needed
                        is a few inches wider than twice the bows widest spot ( so the bag is not
                        too tight on the bow - else it will split. Sew the long side and one end
                        - now you have a tube sock for the bow. A good hard case is a pvc tube
                        with end caps - if it has enough diameter, arrows can also go into tube,
                        or 2 bows. . A strap around the tube is an easy carry handle. This then
                        can be placed under a carload of stuff and not hurt bows.

                        Michael

                        On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:05:56 CDT "Shelaine Dane" <dame_shel@...>
                        writes:
                        > i am curious as to what everyone prefers a soft case or a hard case
                        > for
                        > their bow??? and where do you get your cases or what do you make
                        > them out
                        > of???????
                        >
                        > caitilin

                        > http://www.hotmail.com

                        Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                      • Lord Conall
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 1, 2000
                          > i am curious as to what everyone prefers a soft case or a hard case for
                          > their bow??? and where do you get your cases or what do you make them out
                          > of???????
                          >
                          > caitilin

                          I personally use soft cases because they fit closer to the ends of my bows.
                          The hard cases seem to take up more room in my vehicle, which is important
                          to me because I have an 83 Honda Civic to pack most of my encampment in.
                          The bows go in absolutely last so that they rest on top of everything and I
                          can pack soft things like towels and such around them to cushion them.

                          Regards,
                          Conall Riabhach
                          Aquaterra, An Tir