Fundraising?

  • JonThomme De Claydon
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 8 9:45 AM
      Greetings unto the known world of the SCA,

      Here in Caid we don't put a lot of focus on raising funds for archery, therefor we have (In my barony) second hand arrows and equipment thanks to donations from archers. If we want something for archery we have to pay for it from event budget if it is for a specific event otherwise we are without funds to improve our lot.
      We have had lots of new archers come and play, about 13 shooters every week all told. The equipment is taking a beating and I frequently loan my own equipment so others can shoot.

      My old captain of archers moved to Outlands and he says archers pay donations (a couple bucks) to shoot at practice and this provides funds for special supplies and expenditures.

      So my question is:
      How do you support the Archery in your SCA world? What do you do for funds and or equipment?

      --
      In service to the dream

      Baron Jon Thomme

      Gold is for the mistress
      Silver for the maid
      R. Kipling
    • Cleve Johnson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 8 10:01 AM
        On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 12:45 PM, JonThomme De Claydon <JonThomme@...> wrote:

[...]

        In my barony, the achery captain is one of the baronial officers.  I have a budget of $150 per year to use at my discretion.  For higher amounts, I have to request funds from the barony, which goes through two pollings at business meetings.  We also accept donations of used, but still usable, arrows, prizes for events, etc.
        --
        Lord Eadric of Grenfeld
        Barony of Sternfeld Archery Captain

      • jamesllewellyn@shaw.ca
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 8 11:00 AM
          Our Barony does a combination of things for funding.

          During the summer we shoot in an outdoor farmers field. The site is free but each archer pays $3 per practice. The main reason is our winter site is $90/hr. While the Barony subsidizes it, we have to try to raise the lion’s share through attendance. Having a cash buffer eases the winter costs for the archers. The good part is the 40 yd indoor range has boosted our archery scores by not having the traditional winter layover seen in northern areas.

          For equipment, when archer’s get new gear they usually donate arrows to the communal arrow bucket. For some reason we make new arrows faster than the newbies can break the loaners. Our typical practice is 20 people.

          We also have a Baronial archer who, as an officer, has a budget for admin costs. This includes archery consumables like target faces.

          And finally, if we really have a need we can approach the Baronial curia for a one-off capital expense. (butts, loaner bows etc)

          Master James Llewellyn ap Gruffydd, OP
          Barony of Seagirt (Victoria, BC)
          OGGS

        • Ld.blackmoon
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 8 11:43 AM
            greetings

            I think it is different just about everywhere you go .

            I think most long term archers have at least one bow specifically for loaning out ; ) I did that in a competition one year,( his bow delaminated ) got beat with my own bow : (
            if you live in a pay to play kingdom , the making a " donation " at every practice , may work fine, but in a lot of places people are already hurting for money , and a lot of people may not come to many or even more than one if they find they have to come up with even more money to learn or practice : /  , personally I would rather see them saving that money to purchase their own equipment , but that's just my opinion : )

            in northkeep, ( ansteorra ) I started out building or buying all of the missile supplies ( 2003 ) when I started re-building the missile community here.
            but as the community grew and got more active, it became much easier to get funds for the missile activities .
            now the current missile marshal ( being a baronial officer ) fills out a financial request form and submits it to the financial committee for approval for most things.
            although some archers that are more financially stable ( not broke ) continue to buy some things and donate them ( paper target faces, new children's bows, etc )
            but we also have done things like hold prize shoots at events for some things ( raising funds to give as donations , etc. ) with the prize being a donation of some sort, usually hand made .
            and when we needed new butts, the entire barony donated items for a raffle at one event , so that we were able to raise enough money to purchase a good target butte, and a replaceable core to go with it : )

            although I am currently unemployed due to back problems , it has always been my thought that every archer should be doing their best ( financially , physically , publicly and privately ) to promote archery , buy what you can afford, learn to make your supplies ,
            ( if there is no one knowledgeable in your group, look outside the box  ,
            I know of at least two states that have primitive archery / primitive living skills  groups, who will teach you how to make  selfbows , and wood only laminates  . )
            teach , ( freely and often ; ) learn to marshal ( and do it ), donate what you can, enter arts and sciences items, become officers, work at events that don't have archery, work gate, set up, tear down ,etc.

            but now that there are a lot more grant level archers , and in a few kingdoms even archery peers , I have to wonder why I don't see more things sponsored by them ??
            where are the novice shoots ? where are the top flight prize competitions to show off the level of skill in their area ??  ( and yes " prize " for a top flight competition could be " bragging rights " for besting other top flight archers  )
            where are the practice ranges specifically open , so that people can learn to shoot ? or improve their skills ?? get a little one on one teaching from those top flight archers ??

            are all those things already being sponsored behind the scenes ? bring them out in the open , so that everyone knows about them.
            are they happening , and I just don't hear about them here in my little corner of one kingdom ? post the info far and wide , many marshals and officers may be willing to try shoots, and tourneys others have had success with , or even just because they sound fun .
            or will the populace one day be saying that those top archery award holders " spend a lot of time resting on their _____ "  ??? and try to use that as just one more " reason " people who participate in missile activities don't deserve a peerage ........

            sorry just my opinion,
            ( I'll climb down off my soap box now : /   )

            Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
            Arthur

[...]

            No virus found in this message.
            Internal Virus Database is out of date.

          • Mark Cipra
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 8 1:13 PM

              In the Barony of the Cleftlands, Middle Kingdom ... it depends.

              The Barony itself has provided funds for projects, loaner equipment, etc., based on a case-by-case vote of the officers (the same is true for all martial arts - indeed for all activities of any kind - not just archery).

              But sometimes the folks who run the range (which is free to participants*) will put out a call: "If we can get X people to put up $Y each, we can rebuild the clout", which usually works.

              I've also seen bow raffles, auctions, etc.

              It's really the job of your Barony (Shire, etc.) to support archery, though. You ought to make the case to your officers, in my opinion.

              _____

              * When the free range is unavailable due to weather or other circumstances, we also use a private range, with each person paying the gate fee.

              Mark Cipra

              __

              I looked ahead on my Mayan wall calendar. On December 1st it says "Time to reorder!".

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 8 2:55 PM
                The short answer to fundraising is, its mostly out of my pocket, but I'm really good at scrounging the things I need. I've been running a youth prize shoot, twice a year for the last three years. Most of the shooters don't have bows. Some are complete novices. I bring everything I have that shoots. This includes the bows that belong to my two sons, plus one that was bought at a yard sale, some light wooden bows I've made (read: took off too much wood to make an adult bow)and a couple of middle weight bows for the teenagers. When I made the rules for the shoot I set the number of arrows per end at 4, in hopes of getting sets donated that were no longer useable for SCA competition. I was given a whole box of found arrows from my archery club (Take these, please!)in which I found several sets of reasonably matched arrows. Some had lost tips and had to be trimmed shorter. That's OK, this is for a youth shoot. Most needed a paint job and new fletchings. That's just time and the cost of feathers. Prizes for the shoots are either made by me, leather bracers, tabs, belts, or donated by others, cakes, cookies etc.
                At events, the autocrat can be asked to provide some straw bales to the archery range from the principality budget. Frequently they are borrowed from a nearby member. The principality archer keeps a box of supplies to set up the range, as well as two or three bows and two sets of arrows. At one point they charged $5 for breaking a loaner arrow, which is the cost of replacing it.

                Edward le Kervere

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, JonThomme De Claydon <JonThomme@...> wrote:

                > Greetings unto the known world of the SCA,
                >
                > Here in Caid we don't put a lot of focus on raising funds for archery,
                > therefor we have (In my barony) second hand arrows and equipment thanks to
                > donations from archers. If we want something for archery we have to pay for
                > it from event budget if it is for a specific event otherwise we are without
                > funds to improve our lot.
                > We have had lots of new archers come and play, about 13 shooters every week
                > all told. The equipment is taking a beating and I frequently loan my own
                > equipment so others can shoot.
                >
                > My old captain of archers moved to Outlands and he says archers pay
                > donations (a couple bucks) to shoot at practice and this provides funds for
                > special supplies and expenditures.
                >
                > So my question is:
                > How do you support the Archery in your SCA world? What do you do for funds
                > and or equipment?
                >
                > --
                > In service to the dream
                >
                > Baron Jon Thomme
                >
                > Gold is for the mistress
                > Silver for the maid
                > Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade.
                > "Good" said the Baron sitting in his hall,
                > But iron, cold iron is master of them all.
                > R. Kipling

              • stus_mobile
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 8 3:14 PM
                  Here in a sleep corner of Aethelmearc we don't have archery funds per se. We have the groups general account that we can make official requests for funding from.

                  Over the years the archers have been running on bare minimums, basically strings and faces. When I was appointed to Captain of archers I made requests for new loaner bows. The Barony were not only happy to fund but actually encouraged us to "spend" on what we needed.

                  Over the last two years we have added four new loaner recurves, all the same model but in different weights and hands. They're take downs so if a bow breaks we can use the parts or get new limbs as required. They all have the same string length so makes for a standard string size instead of multiple length strings. We also refurbished all of our loaner arrows. At the start of the season we had 9 matched sets and again this winter the Barony will buy supplies for repairs and refletching and I will supply the labor. Total Barony spend over 2 years was approx $600. Our big expenses are pretty much done with at this point, now it'll be a smaller amount for regular items such as targets, fletchings, strings etc.

                  I try to walk a fine line between good loaner gear to interest and encourage our archers but not good enough to never invest in their own gear after some time (that time period does vary, one of our archers just got her own bow after two years, circumstances are like that sometimes).

                  Some of our archers toss a dollar or three at me when they can afford it, it's not asked for but it does go towards minor things that get forgotten, think nocking point's, maybe a few different target faces for fun shooting. There are times when I have just bought things and donated rather than go through the Barony, having that ability while nice is in no way expected.

                  Other things we have done or are planning on doing, raffle for custom arrows. Ask for donations from any archers who may have old gear laying around. Ask for any old archers with equipment for sale to post to our lists. Get the threadworkers guild to sew up bow bags, ask for material donations so I can make bags.

                  We have gone from 4 archers shooting on Sundays to approx 20 of us shooting, in theory if everyone showed we could field 30+ archers this season.. Our practices have increased in time from 2 hours to 3 on Sundays. We're introducing a summer evening session this week. We use social media to cross post archery specific info, practice times, upcoming events etc.

                  Hope that helps and sparks some ideas,
                  Edmund of Worcester

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, JonThomme De Claydon <JonThomme@...> wrote:

                  > Greetings unto the known world of the SCA,
                  >
                  > Here in Caid we don't put a lot of focus on raising funds for archery,
                  > therefor we have (In my barony) second hand arrows and equipment thanks to
                  > donations from archers. If we want something for archery we have to pay for
                  > it from event budget if it is for a specific event otherwise we are without
                  > funds to improve our lot.
                  > We have had lots of new archers come and play, about 13 shooters every week
                  > all told. The equipment is taking a beating and I frequently loan my own
                  > equipment so others can shoot.
                  >
                  > My old captain of archers moved to Outlands and he says archers pay
                  > donations (a couple bucks) to shoot at practice and this provides funds for
                  > special supplies and expenditures.
                  >
                  > So my question is:
                  > How do you support the Archery in your SCA world? What do you do for funds
                  > and or equipment?
                  >
                  > --
                  > In service to the dream
                  >
                  > Baron Jon Thomme
                  >
                  > Gold is for the mistress
                  > Silver for the maid
                  > Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade.
                  > "Good" said the Baron sitting in his hall,
                  > But iron, cold iron is master of them all.
                  > R. Kipling

                • Damales
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 9 7:22 AM
                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, JonThomme De Claydon <JonThomme@...> wrote:

                    > Greetings unto the known world of the SCA,
                    >
                    > Here in Caid we don't put a lot of focus on raising funds for archery,
                    > therefor we have (In my barony) second hand arrows and equipment thanks to
                    > donations from archers. If we want something for archery we have to pay for
                    > it from event budget if it is for a specific event otherwise we are without
                    > funds to improve our lot.
                    > We have had lots of new archers come and play, about 13 shooters every week
                    > all told. The equipment is taking a beating and I frequently loan my own
                    > equipment so others can shoot.
                    >
                    > My old captain of archers moved to Outlands and he says archers pay
                    > donations (a couple bucks) to shoot at practice and this provides funds for
                    > special supplies and expenditures.
                    >
                    > So my question is:
                    > How do you support the Archery in your SCA world? What do you do for funds
                    > and or equipment?
                    >
                    > --
                    > In service to the dream
                    >
                    > Baron Jon Thomme

                    Jon Thomme , IMO the point of loaner equipment it to get new archers a start not a long term use. Our barony pays for the butts and some of the local range upkeep but loaner equipment is on a donation base .work to get the new archer to get their own equipment. First arrows, and arm guards . caid got great artist making both .. not too expensive . then hunt for bows.
                    Master Damales O.L. (OAA)
                    ^
                  • Taslen
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 9 8:22 AM
                      Edmund,

                      Mind if I borrow a few of your ideas???

                      Gaelen O'Gradaigh
                      Barony Of Brendoken
                      Midrealm archery marshal of the field

> [...]

                      > funds to improve our lot.
                      > We have had lots of new archers come and play, about 13 shooters every week
                      > all told. The equipment is taking a beating and I frequently loan my own
                      > equipment so others can shoot.
                      >
                      > My old captain of archers moved to Outlands and he says archers pay
                      > donations (a couple bucks) to shoot at practice and this provides funds for
                      > special supplies and expenditures.
                      >
                      > So my question is:
                      > How do you support the Archery in your SCA world? What do you do for funds
                      > and or equipment?
                      >
                      > --
                      > In service to the dream
                      >
                      > Baron Jon Thomme
                      >
                      > Gold is for the mistress
                      > Silver for the maid
                      > Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade.
                      > "Good" said the Baron sitting in his hall,
                      > But iron, cold iron is master of them all.

                    • stus_mobile
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 9 3:58 PM
                        Gaelen,

                        By all means, I hope you get good mileage out of them.

                        Edmund of Worcester

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Taslen <taslen2000@...> wrote:

                        > Edmund,
                        >
                        > Mind if I borrow a few of your ideas???
                        >
                        > Gaelen O'Gradaigh
                        > Barony Of Brendoken
                        > Midrealm archery marshal of the field
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • jaquelinelefleur
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 11 9:14 PM
                          Speaking of the last few years, in the Barony of Lions Gate there are potential funds available to the Baronial Archer office. It requires an application to the finance committee, and the funds being available. We have a selection of bows, bracers and tabs. Maintenance (refinishing, new strings, etc.) if often done by the current baronial officer, but it is not required of that office.

                          Many years the regulars on the practice range have donated targets. Any of my previously made arrows and all of my personal equipment (bows, quivers, tabs, youth gear) are made available for new comers.

                          We're in the process of replacing our wearing out Saunder's matts with new modern materials sourced by careful scrounging. I've been collecting old slat bookcases for archery matt frames. We'll be holding a glove-making course later in the summer, where I hope to challenge the participants to make one glove for themselves, and another for the barony. I have sourced a decent stock of leather over the years, so that will be at no cost to the barony other than buckles.

                          The outdoor practice range fee is $60 per year, and the winter indoor range was $5 per practice last year, thus we don't ask the archers for more donations. Some cannot afford them as they are priced now.

                          We hold a few blanket prize tournaments each year: every archer who wishes to compete brings some kind of prize, which is laid on the blanket. The prizes are distributed as the tournament organizer decides. Archers have also stepped forward and donated prizes for specific events.

                          in service to the flighty cause,

                          Jaqueline Lefleur
                          arcuarius to Baron James Wolfden
                          Baronial Archer of Lions Gate