Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Ten Commandments du Chevalier

  • Taslen
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 8, 2012
      Jaqueline,

      Do you have any more reference material? This would be very interesting.

      Gaelen

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 9, 2012
        When was the information on this scroll first written?

        Jon

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 9, 2012

          At an extended nice weather practice this past Saturday, we experimented with some different shoots, including a few belonging to the 5 pillars of archery.

          The archers really enjoyed the replicating of the Parthian Shot. It added a tremendous amount of fun after a day of shooting stupid wands. (who's idea was that anyways  :-)  )

          Initially, for safety, we had the archers nock their arrows only AFTER turning towards their targets. This lost something in the feel of it so we tried something different. Trying to maintain a safe atmosphere, we then had each archer nock an arrow facing only directly towards the ground. On command they turned, drew, and fired. This was a tremendous improvement and we found, despite not having the best accuracy at first, the archers were keen to repeat the procedure over and over.

          I am now wondering if this might be a fun shoot as a "timed" shoot.

          Just Baron James

        • Guy Taylor
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 9, 2012
            A lot of the traditional mundane shoots I attend have this shot.
            The more dialed in clubs will have something like a plastic 55 gallon drum staked to the ground with a horse saddle strapped to it. The "horse" will be facing directly away from the target and twisting around for the shot will really wake up the old bones and tendons.

            Guy

            The new Greenman Archery website

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 11, 2012
              Bon jour, Gaelen,

              Here is the link to the full presentation:

              http://www.turkisharchery.info/?p=!wtafpresentations&slide=France

              There are other presentations on archery given at the conference, all in slide show format with notes describing the image. Unfortunately, there is no date given for the illumination image on slide 13.

              in service,

              Jaqueline Lefleur

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Taslen <taslen2000@...> wrote:

              > Jaqueline,
              >
              > Do you have any more reference material? This would be very interesting.
              >
              > Gaelen
            • Taslen
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 11, 2012
                Bon jour Jaqueline

                Thanks so much for the follow up information

                Gaelen O'Gradaigh
                Marche of Three Towers
                Barony of Brendoken
                archery marshal of the field for the midrealm

                Here is the link to the full presentation:

                http://www.turkisharchery.info/?p=!wtafpresentations&slide=France

                There are other presentations on archery given at the conference, all in slide show format with notes describing the image. Unfortunately, there is no date given for the illumination image on slide 13.

                in service,

                Jaqueline Lefleur

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Taslen <taslen2000@...> wrote:

                > Jaqueline,
                >
                > Do you have any more reference material? This would be very interesting.
                >
                > Gaelen

              • J. Hughes
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 12, 2012
                  Jaqueline,

                  Thank you very much for the link. I am puting together a class on Islamic archery and found the Turkish slides filled in nicely what I was trying to say about that tradition.

                  Charles O'Connor