Re: Ten Commandments du Chevalier

  • jaquelinelefleur
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7 3:45 PM
      So, a little more researching and I came up with the answer. The Knight is an earned and recognized position within the companies of archers in France keeping the Beursault tradition. It is a lifetime honour. When a Knight of Archery passes on, a special ceremony is held to free the archer of the commitment.

      in service,

      Jaqueline Lefleur
    • Taslen
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 8 8:09 AM
        Jaqueline,

        Do you have any more reference material? This would be very interesting.

        Gaelen

        So, a little more researching and I came up with the answer. The Knight is an earned and recognized position within the companies of archers in France keeping the Beursault tradition. It is a lifetime honour. When a Knight of Archery passes on, a special ceremony is held to free the archer of the commitment.

        in service,

        Jaqueline Lefleur

      • John Edgerton
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 9 9:04 AM
          When was the information on this scroll first written?

          Jon

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 9 9:58 AM

            At an extended nice weather practice this past Saturday, we experimented with some different shoots, including a few belonging to the 5 pillars of archery.

            The archers really enjoyed the replicating of the Parthian Shot. It added a tremendous amount of fun after a day of shooting stupid wands. (who's idea was that anyways  :-)  )

            Initially, for safety, we had the archers nock their arrows only AFTER turning towards their targets. This lost something in the feel of it so we tried something different. Trying to maintain a safe atmosphere, we then had each archer nock an arrow facing only directly towards the ground. On command they turned, drew, and fired. This was a tremendous improvement and we found, despite not having the best accuracy at first, the archers were keen to repeat the procedure over and over.

            I am now wondering if this might be a fun shoot as a "timed" shoot.

            Just Baron James

          • Guy Taylor
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 9 10:09 AM
              A lot of the traditional mundane shoots I attend have this shot.
              The more dialed in clubs will have something like a plastic 55 gallon drum staked to the ground with a horse saddle strapped to it. The "horse" will be facing directly away from the target and twisting around for the shot will really wake up the old bones and tendons.

              Guy

              The new Greenman Archery website

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 11 8:49 PM
                Bon jour, Gaelen,

                Here is the link to the full presentation:

                http://www.turkisharchery.info/?p=!wtafpresentations&slide=France

                There are other presentations on archery given at the conference, all in slide show format with notes describing the image. Unfortunately, there is no date given for the illumination image on slide 13.

                in service,

                Jaqueline Lefleur

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Taslen <taslen2000@...> wrote:

                > Jaqueline,
                >
                > Do you have any more reference material? This would be very interesting.
                >
                > Gaelen
              • Taslen
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 11 10:08 PM
                  Bon jour Jaqueline

                  Thanks so much for the follow up information

                  Gaelen O'Gradaigh
                  Marche of Three Towers
                  Barony of Brendoken
                  archery marshal of the field for the midrealm

                  Here is the link to the full presentation:

                  http://www.turkisharchery.info/?p=!wtafpresentations&slide=France

                  There are other presentations on archery given at the conference, all in slide show format with notes describing the image. Unfortunately, there is no date given for the illumination image on slide 13.

                  in service,

                  Jaqueline Lefleur

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Taslen <taslen2000@...> wrote:

                  > Jaqueline,
                  >
                  > Do you have any more reference material? This would be very interesting.
                  >
                  > Gaelen

                • J. Hughes
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 12 6:41 AM
                    Jaqueline,

                    Thank you very much for the link. I am puting together a class on Islamic archery and found the Turkish slides filled in nicely what I was trying to say about that tradition.

                    Charles O'Connor