Ten Commandments du Chevalier

  • jaquelinelefleur
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7, 2012
      While researching the beginning of Tir Beursault, I came across a presentation given at the International Academic Seminar of the World Traditional Archery Festival Presentationson September 30, 2008, in Busan, Korea. The presentation topic was titled:

      The Beursault shooting a French Tradition by Raphael Rambur

      One of the slides had a beautifully scribed and I think illuminated charter, in French, which translates as:

      The ten commandments of Chevalier
      * Your company thou shalt love and support at any time.
      * Through the noble game of Bow shalt though find the best relaxation.
      * Your shooting thou shalt improve by continual training.
      * String, bow, arrows shalt thou take care of, to use them in good purpose.
      * In the meetings shalt thou be courteous, fair and accommodating.
      * Saint Sebastian shalt thou honor, and celebrate each year.
      * Never shalt thou fail to honor, and in a noble way you will act.
      * In pain, shalt thou tirelessly support your brothers.
      * Good knight thou shalt remain, by following these commandments.

      Does anyone recognize the wording? It speaks well to some of the purposes discussed in considering a Kingdom-wide order or charter for archery. And if I may say, I think it could form the basis for a peerage.

      in service,

      Jaqueline Lefleur
    • jaquelinelefleur
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 7, 2012
        So, a little more researching and I came up with the answer. The Knight is an earned and recognized position within the companies of archers in France keeping the Beursault tradition. It is a lifetime honour. When a Knight of Archery passes on, a special ceremony is held to free the archer of the commitment.

        in service,

        Jaqueline Lefleur
      • Taslen
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 8, 2012
          Jaqueline,

          Do you have any more reference material? This would be very interesting.

          Gaelen

          So, a little more researching and I came up with the answer. The Knight is an earned and recognized position within the companies of archers in France keeping the Beursault tradition. It is a lifetime honour. When a Knight of Archery passes on, a special ceremony is held to free the archer of the commitment.

          in service,

          Jaqueline Lefleur

        • John Edgerton
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 9, 2012
            When was the information on this scroll first written?

            Jon

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 9, 2012

              At an extended nice weather practice this past Saturday, we experimented with some different shoots, including a few belonging to the 5 pillars of archery.

              The archers really enjoyed the replicating of the Parthian Shot. It added a tremendous amount of fun after a day of shooting stupid wands. (who's idea was that anyways  :-)  )

              Initially, for safety, we had the archers nock their arrows only AFTER turning towards their targets. This lost something in the feel of it so we tried something different. Trying to maintain a safe atmosphere, we then had each archer nock an arrow facing only directly towards the ground. On command they turned, drew, and fired. This was a tremendous improvement and we found, despite not having the best accuracy at first, the archers were keen to repeat the procedure over and over.

              I am now wondering if this might be a fun shoot as a "timed" shoot.

              Just Baron James

            • Guy Taylor
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 9, 2012
                A lot of the traditional mundane shoots I attend have this shot.
                The more dialed in clubs will have something like a plastic 55 gallon drum staked to the ground with a horse saddle strapped to it. The "horse" will be facing directly away from the target and twisting around for the shot will really wake up the old bones and tendons.

                Guy

                The new Greenman Archery website

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 11, 2012
                  Bon jour, Gaelen,

                  Here is the link to the full presentation:

                  http://www.turkisharchery.info/?p=!wtafpresentations&slide=France

                  There are other presentations on archery given at the conference, all in slide show format with notes describing the image. Unfortunately, there is no date given for the illumination image on slide 13.

                  in service,

                  Jaqueline Lefleur

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Taslen <taslen2000@...> wrote:

                  > Jaqueline,
                  >
                  > Do you have any more reference material? This would be very interesting.
                  >
                  > Gaelen
                • Taslen
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 11, 2012
                    Bon jour Jaqueline

                    Thanks so much for the follow up information

                    Gaelen O'Gradaigh
                    Marche of Three Towers
                    Barony of Brendoken
                    archery marshal of the field for the midrealm

                    Here is the link to the full presentation:

                    http://www.turkisharchery.info/?p=!wtafpresentations&slide=France

                    There are other presentations on archery given at the conference, all in slide show format with notes describing the image. Unfortunately, there is no date given for the illumination image on slide 13.

                    in service,

                    Jaqueline Lefleur

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Taslen <taslen2000@...> wrote:

                    > Jaqueline,
                    >
                    > Do you have any more reference material? This would be very interesting.
                    >
                    > Gaelen

                  • J. Hughes
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 12, 2012
                      Jaqueline,

                      Thank you very much for the link. I am puting together a class on Islamic archery and found the Turkish slides filled in nicely what I was trying to say about that tradition.

                      Charles O'Connor