  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5 8:32 AM
      The announcement from the board seems to give some reasons  concerning "culture" for their consideration of creating a rapier/cut and thrust peerage.  It seems to me, at least, that these reasons also apply to the other NRMA as well.

      Jon
      ****************

      Potential New Peerage Exploratory Committee

      Misc deleted

      "The exploration into a new stand-alone Peerage for Rapier / Cut and Thrust is driven not only by what the Board of Directors perceives
      to be a very high level of support across the organization, but also because it expresses a defined and specific culture that is unique and
      separate from chivalric armoured combat, other martial arts, and the unique and separate cultures of the Arts and Sciences and Service
      communities."
    • kburgess1@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5 1:10 PM
        hack-hackbolwjobhack-hack  ... now that I have cleared my throat,   interesting....

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5 1:33 PM
          I came close to falling off my chair LOL

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6 8:18 AM
            While this is good news and serves as an indication that the board is waking up to NRMA activities I pose a simple question related to the two new Atlantian pelicans (KNOW that I in no way mean to belittle their accomplishments as their elevations are more than worthy and Baron Jonathas brought the question up himself on the Atlantian Archer's list). Is the service to the archery community and expertise in archery, as evidenced by these two worthy gentles, service or a form of martial arts. If service, then becoming a Pelican is appropriate. If a form of martial arts then becoming a service peer, i.e. Pelican, seems the wrong award. That would be akin to a heavy fighter being made a laurel because he won crown lyst.

            Just something to think about in our quest for a peerage for the missile arts of the SCA. I would further suggest we, as the archery community, in our quest for an archery peerage not get too lost in minor details, historically correct names, etc. as has been discussed ad nauseum on this list that take us off the main focus, peerage level recognition for archery and the missile arts. (Strong opinion, I admit.)

            cog

            > The announcement from the board seems to give some reasons concerning "culture"
            > for their consideration of creating a rapier/cut and thrust peerage. It seems
            > to me, at least, that these reasons also apply to the other NRMA as well.
            >

            > Jon
            > ****************
            >

            > Potential New Peerage Exploratory Committee
            >
            > Misc deleted
            >
            > "The exploration into a new stand-alone Peerage for Rapier / Cut and Thrust is
            > driven not only by what the Board of Directors perceives
            > to be a very high level of support across the organization, but also because it
            > expresses a defined and specific culture that is unique and
            > separate from chivalric armoured combat, other martial arts, and the unique and
            > separate cultures of the Arts and Sciences and Service
            > communities."

          • J. Hughes
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6 8:47 AM
              I am somewhat invested in this. Siegfried deserved a Pelican, for a long time. If I were king in Atlantia, he would also be a Laurel. Service is service, and art is art. I was also assured this weekend by someone in the know that even the chivalry is not so unmoving as they once were. That peerage however will take time...

              Charles O'Connor

              While this is good news and serves as an indication that the board is waking up to NRMA activities I pose a simple question related to the two new Atlantian pelicans (KNOW that I in no way mean to belittle their accomplishments as their elevations are more than worthy and Baron Jonathas brought the question up himself on the Atlantian Archer's list). Is the service to the archery community and expertise in archery, as evidenced by these two worthy gentles, service or a form of martial arts. If service, then becoming a Pelican is appropriate. If a form of martial arts then becoming a service peer, i.e. Pelican, seems the wrong award. That would be akin to a heavy fighter being made a laurel because he won crown lyst.

              Just something to think about in our quest for a peerage for the missile arts of the SCA. I would further suggest we, as the archery community, in our quest for an archery peerage not get too lost in minor details, historically correct names, etc. as has been discussed ad nauseum on this list that take us off the main focus, peerage level recognition for archery and the missile arts. (Strong opinion, I admit.)

              cog

              > The announcement from the board seems to give some reasons concerning "culture"
              > for their consideration of creating a rapier/cut and thrust peerage. It seems
              > to me, at least, that these reasons also apply to the other NRMA as well.
              >

              > Jon
              > ****************
              >

              > Potential New Peerage Exploratory Committee
              >
              > Misc deleted
              >
              > "The exploration into a new stand-alone Peerage for Rapier / Cut and Thrust is
              > driven not only by what the Board of Directors perceives
              > to be a very high level of support across the organization, but also because it
              > expresses a defined and specific culture that is unique and
              > separate from chivalric armoured combat, other martial arts, and the unique and
              > separate cultures of the Arts and Sciences and Service
              > communities."

            • The Greys
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 7 8:20 AM
                Charles,
                I totally agree with your comments. I assumed the position of Atlantian DEM for target archery from Siegfried and he served as a role model for me in that position. He now serves as a landed baron, something my lady and I have avoided, mostly her. As for Jonathas' service his scores database stands as but one example of his service not only to his kingdom but to the entire SCA. As DEM I asked him if another kingdom could use his scores database and he was more that gracious in assisting and making it happen.

                So the question of Pelican for service, absolutely no doubt for either of these gentles. I'm not sure making a crossbow out of a log from your wood pile qualifies one for a laurel...... :-) . I simply do not know enough about either's A&S contributions but if they are anything like their service, then a laurel would also fit.

                But the question still stands and has been discussed on this list extensively, a peerage for archery or the missile arts. To hear that the chivalry is "considering" it is GREAT news for let us be honest here, if one is not a heavy fighter one will NEVER be a king or queen (some queens have sat the throne by their own hand). And it is ultimately the kings and queens who make stuff happen in this club.

                I remain ever hopeful,
                cog