RE: Sightlly OT - Re: [SCA-Archery] RE:

  • Joe Klovance
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2012
      Sorry but those rules have been found to create passwords that are merely impossible to remember. If you have a short password that follow those rules it is pretty easy to hack. It is actually better to have a number of real words strung together. It is easy to remember and the entropy is high. XKCD did a cartoon about it;  http://xkcd.com/936/  Easy to remember long passwords are better.

      Gryffyd

      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      From: sirjon1@...
      Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 13:25:22 -0700
      Subject: Re: Sightlly OT - Re: [SCA-Archery] RE:

      Very good advice.

      Thank you

      Jon

      From: John Edgerton <sirjon1@...>
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] RE:
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, June 3, 2012, 2:39 PM

      Sender's account has been placed on moderated status until this is cleared up.

      Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, group owner

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2012
        Trouble is, a lot of places limit how many characters you can have. I find it really frustrating when that limit is something as ridiculously short as 12 characters. I generally prefer 20-30 characters.

        I go with using Keepass to generate longish (20-characters) random passwords that meet the things Sheldon said, then Keepass stores them for me in a file that's encrypted using my master pass phrase that's long and memorable. I use Dropbox to sync the Keepass DB between my computers and phone.

        Mackenzie

        On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 11:36 PM, Joe Klovance <jklovanc@...> wrote:

        Sorry but those rules have been found to create passwords that are merely impossible to remember. If you have a short password that follow those rules it is pretty easy to hack. It is actually better to have a number of real words strung together. It is easy to remember and the entropy is high. XKCD did a cartoon about it;  http://xkcd.com/936/  Easy to remember long passwords are better.

        Gryffyd

      • Sher M
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2012
          Or you can "cheat" like I do, passwords are 1-2 words using numbers in certain places instead of the letter such as a S would be a 5.

          So far I've been lucky.  But then I also have a hidden list of my passwords because they are so weird that even I can't remember them.  Years ago when I had a Dell computer (many many years ago) the Tech told me I needed to 'name' my computer.  I was mad at it so its name was pissant.  Haven't named one since then but the Tech literally burst into laughter and said "I don't think anyone would be able to come up with that name to access your computer".

          Runa

          To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
          From: sirjon1@...
          Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 13:25:22 -0700

          Very good advice.

          Thank you

          Jon

          Sender's account has been placed on moderated status until this is cleared up.

          Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, group owner

            I 'cheat' in a different way, one of my 'other' hobbies/interests is railroads, and I use different locomotive/freight car identifiers/initials & numbers for my passwords. Unless the hacker personally knows my favorite railroads, there is NO WAY they will guess the password(s), especially since my railroad interests are not considered "mainstream" like Amtrak, Union Pacific, CSX, or any of the other well-known/'popular' railroads.

            - Iurii

            To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
            From: sirjon1@...
            Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 13:25:22 -0700

            Very good advice.

            Thank you

            Jon

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4, 2012

              I find it *relatively* easy to remember passwords by making acronyms out of long book (or cd, or ...) titles like "The Complete Novels of George Orwell, Part One", which becomes "Tcnogopt1". A friend does something similar with easy-to-remember phrases, like his first car: "A big reg 1975 plymouth sedan" = "abr1975Ps".

              I made up both of these - they're not our actual passwords :)

              Llywelyn Glyndyverdwy (Mark Cipra)

              __

              To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
              From: sirjon1@...