Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Grand Archery Tournaments

  • Jim Pickette
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
      OK.
      GET this: What is it, where is it, who sponsors it, etcetera [pardon my latin].

      JoO

    • Christopher LoPresto
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
        The GET (Grand Exhibition Tourney) was created for Gulf Wars, about 5-6 years ago.

        The original (stated) purpose was two-fold:

        1)  Get archery in front of people!  The archery range at GW is almost as far away from things as possible.  It was hoped that by holding a "Grand" tournament, at the Fort, where hundreds of people are (or at least recently were) gathered would be a good way to generate interest in archery.  It was intended to Wow the audience.  Banners are set up to add color and attract attention.  There was a "Heralds" competition, as each archer would bring their favorite herald to announce them to the crowd.  Some very cool and entertaining heraldic introductions were heard!  And the various competitions are meant to challenge the archers and impress the crowd.  The intent was to get the best archers out there for that reason.

        2)  The second purpose was to help increase IKAC participation.  The archers selected for the GET were to be those with the highest IKAC average, as shot during the preceding season.  By popular demand, we allowed IKACs shot at the war to count.

        The IKAC component proved a bit difficult to manage (some scores were lost or not reported for various reasons), so it was dropped in the following years, although I wouldn't mind seeing it re-introduced.

        The idea of having winners from the daily shoots get a place in the GET was a way to try to find the best archers attending the war and get them to the GET.  It was suggested to us to allow each Kingdom to nominate an archer for the GET as well.  This sounded like a good idea and seemed to work pretty well.

        The wildcard entrants were added at some point, I forget the reason.  But, I think it's not a bad idea.  If the purpose is to generate interest in archery, it doesn't hurt to show that you don't have to be crack shot to get out there and have fun.  Which brings us to the 3rd (unstated, but obvious) purpose of the GET:  "To Have Fun".  I hope we have achieved this for the participating archers and I hope we can continue to challenge them with new and interesting shoots and succeed in drawing new people into the activity!

        I hope this helps.  I will continue to follow the conversation with interest!

        Cheers,
        THL Aleyn Kynyd ap Rhys
        Barony of Seleone
        Gleann Abhann