Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Use of optical aids on the archery range

  • J C Ronsen
    Message 1 of 43 , Jun 1, 2012
      On Thu, 31 May 2012 15:01:07 -0400, Karl W. Evoy wrote:
      > IIRC, the original question was the use of optical aids during
      > official shoots. The discussion then veered towards the periodiness
      > of some of types of telescopes. If you are presenting at the
      > serious re-enactment level, anything you have visable should be
      > period. The SCA has a more voluntary standard. My understanding of
      > the rules, at say Pennsic, which are "The use of spotters is
      > forbidden", then an optical aid should be cleared by the MIC; that
      > said, I would have no problem allowing a simple scope if the archer
      > was unable to see where the shafts are landing. Any type of
      > rangefinder, however, would be forbidden. If you are attempting to
      > shoot in a period manner, then "Eyeball Mk.I" is your choice;
      > that's what they had avalable.
      > Karl

      My general rule of thumb is this:

      For practice: if an archer wants to use a spotter's scope,
      rangefinders, extra eyes, spyglasses, etc. to help them adjust their
      sight marks at a practice; I have no problem with that.

      For a tournament: no for 99% of shooters. I have met (and shot with)
      two archers, over the years, who were functionally blind (everything
      is one big blur beyond five feet) and used spotter's scopes to help
      them identify the targets, but did not use them as sights for their
      bows. Both of them asked a marshal to stand next to the target they
      needed to shot at and used the scopes to identify which blob they were
      supposed to shoot at. I do not have an issue with the small percentage
      of archers who need this kind of assistance in order to find the
      target, but when I marshal a tourney, I do not allow such tools for
      archers with good eyes and or glasses. Particularly not range finders:
      most of my ranges are at unknown distances.

      I have used a small spotter's scope, as a marshal, (it was a nice one
      that I used for almost 30 years, but it died last year) for a handful
      of shoots. All of the shoots were variations of the same theme: shoot
      one arrow or bolt; hit a target at a long range and advance to the
      next round; miss and you are out. One such shoot involved a full sized
      knight on horseback, made out of corplast, at the bottom of a hill, at
      around 130 yards. You had to keep shooting until you either hit the
      horse or you hit the knight in an un-armored spot. I find that a good
      spotter's scope can save extra trips 100+ yards downrange and back if
      all I am interested in is if the archer hit a target. A spyglass would
      look less modern, but my scope was small enough that I could keep it
      hidden away in my quiver.

      ska: Baron Caleb Reynolds
      mka: Caleb Ronsen
      aka: Bubba th' Barbarian
      Baron of the Court of AEthelmearc
      Because you can't spell "Old Blarney Sec" without Caleb Reynolds.

      There's no substitute for reading. Well, not MY stuff, but generally.
    • Chris Ivins
      Message 43 of 43 , Jun 1, 2012
        M'Lords and Ladies,

        I am relatively new (within the last year) to archery, so forgive any ignorance or naivety on my part, but occasionally I will use a set of binoculars during our practices to help call where an arrow hits at the longer distances so that a fellow archer can refine their aim point, but I do not ever intend to use them for that purpose at an event.
        Also, I am sure some of the Kingdoms will have different guidelines on marks on the bow limbs, but in the An Tir Book of Target, it states,
        "i. Sighting and/or range marks on the limbs or riser are allowed, except in Divisions or competitions that exclude their use."
        In my own practice, I have considered adding tape with simple "hash marks" to figure out the best aim points for the different distances on Royal Rounds, but by using tape, I intend to remove them for ANY event /competition I enter, the marks will be used only for practice, and only to get used to aiming with the loaner bow I am using.

        -Respectfully, and In Service,
                                                          Lord Iurii Levchenich
                                                          Junior Target Archery Marshal-In-Training