Re: Grand Archery Tournaments

  • Egil
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
      I did not set up the original GET. However I have been a partisipant.
      By adding the Kingdom Reps, we added the top archers from each Kingdom, so I am not sure why you think "some good ones", as for those who made it into the lotty (which I will take the credit for doing) ended up with some very good archers in it. In fact during the team part of the GET, the team with was made up by two archers from the lottery, won the challenge. So I am not sure why you would say "Lucky Ones". They also greaty added score to the Blue vs Yellow Challenge. and as for the Individual challenge they were both in the hunt well into the shoot. So just because you have a 300 IKAC score, someone who has a 180-200 score may take you out. I think there are many on here who think tooo much of themselves. I have seen "Uber" archers taken out of the daily challenges by a lesser archer.

      I thought we were in this to promote archery, what better way to promote it then to allow "Lesser" archers on the field and give them a taste of the big Tournys?

      I see many on here speak of big tournies with 60-80 archers, you can only have those numbers if you allow more than the top 10 archers on the field. So pease explain how are we to have larger numbers of archers, if we do not let the "Lucky" on the field, "Sadly".

      Egil

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Bill Tait <arwemakere@...> wrote:

      > The first GET was the top 10 archers (who were there) based on IKAC scores.
      > I don't know when the "Kingdom Representative" was added, I think the
      > second year. It was the second year where you had to win a spot in the GET
      > based on the daily shoots.
      >
      > The last one I was in, I seem to recall there being a lottery to add
      > people. So sadly, the GET went from being "The Best" archers, to some great
      > ones, some good ones, and a few lucky ones..
      >
      > William
      >
      > On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 12:47 PM, James Koch <alchem@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Egil,
      > > >
      > > Why so few archers at an event the size of Gulf Wars? We get more than
      > > twice that many trying out for the Midrealm champion's team at Pennsic. My
      > > guess is you are somehow limiting who can compete.
      > > >
      > > As to the time limitation, that is not a problem at all. Simply allocate
      > > more time, or design shoots so that more people can complete the
      > > competition in the available time.
      > > >
      > > Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
      > > >

      > > >At 11:22 AM 5/31/2012, you wrote:
      > >

      > > At Gulf Wars, our Grand Tournament in its current setup is between 15-and
      > > 25 archers. So I have a small issue with the minimal number that was
      > > proposed before. I don't think we have ever had 50 -70 Archers at any given
      > > time, ever. However it is still the top archers. Also time allotments would
      > > not allow that many archers, normally we have about a 2 hr window in which
      > > to get the GET completed.
      > >
      > > Egil
      > >
      > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Siegfried <siegfried@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Atlantia: Open, but you have to send in your letter of intent.
      > > >
      > > > Fields have ranged from 20's, to 80's
      > > >
      > > > Usually in the 30-40 range I'd say, but it's been growing lately with
      > > > more of a push for 'it's fun go do it'
      > > >
      > > > Goes pretty quick, with 4 lists running at a time, double-elim, best 2
      > > > of 3. Only goes down to 1 fight at a time in the semi-finals and finals.
      > > >
      > > > Siegfried

      > > > --
      > > > Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust - Barony of Highland Foorde - Atlantia
      > > > http://hf.atlantia.sca.org/ - http://crossbows.biz/ - http://eliw.com/

    • Egil
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
        Adding more time is not an option, the GET is shot after the field battle on Friday, we used to shoot it on Thursday but we had many letters complaining that people did not have enough time to get to war and make it into the GET. So we changed the day to Friday in order to give people the entire week to shoot and win a spot. We could just open up the GET to anyone who wants to shoot, this would increase the numbers but would upset many "uber" archers.

        Besides, as I recall, the idea behind the GET was to get as many of the best archers as possible onthe field.

        We are still working on it and hope to increase the numbers.

        Egil

        > Egil,
        > >
        > Why so few archers at an event the size of Gulf
        > Wars? We get more than twice that many trying
        > out for the Midrealm champion's team at
        > Pennsic. My guess is you are somehow limiting who can compete.
        > >
        > As to the time limitation, that is not a problem
        > at all. Simply allocate more time, or design
        > shoots so that more people can complete the
        > competition in the available time.
        > >
        > Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
        > >

        > >At 11:22 AM 5/31/2012, you wrote:
        > >

        > >At Gulf Wars, our Grand Tournament in its
        > >current setup is between 15-and 25 archers. So I
        > >have a small issue with the minimal number that
        > >was proposed before. I don't think we have ever
        > >had 50 -70 Archers at any given time, ever.
        > >However it is still the top archers. Also time
        > >allotments would not allow that many archers,
        > >normally we have about a 2 hr window in which to get the GET completed.
        > >
        > >Egil
        > >
        > >--- In
        > ><mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com,
        > >Siegfried <siegfried@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Atlantia: Open, but you have to send in your letter of intent.
        > > >
        > > > Fields have ranged from 20's, to 80's
        > > >
        > > > Usually in the 30-40 range I'd say, but it's been growing lately with
        > > > more of a push for 'it's fun go do it'
        > > >
        > > > Goes pretty quick, with 4 lists running at a time, double-elim, best 2
        > > > of 3. Only goes down to 1 fight at a time in the semi-finals and finals.
        > > >
        > > > Siegfried

        > > > --
        > > > Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust - Barony of Highland Foorde - Atlantia
        > > >
        > > <http://hf.atlantia.sca.org/>http://hf.atlantia.sca.org/
        > > - http://crossbows.biz/ - <http://eliw.com/>http://eliw.com/

      • Jim Pickette
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
          I probably lost track of parts of the conversation.

          Which contest are we taliking about? Where, sponsor, rules, dates?

          Clarity has value.

          JoO, Fidelibus
          of Calontir

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
            What the heck is a G.E. T. ? I have been trying to solve it on my own through context, but I am still ignorant. I used to be good at solving codes.

            Begging,

            JoO

          • Bill Tait
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
              Grand Exhibition Tourney

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
                Bill ,

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
                  OK.
                  GET this: What is it, where is it, who sponsors it, etcetera [pardon my latin].

                  JoO

                • Christopher LoPresto
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 1, 2012
                    The GET (Grand Exhibition Tourney) was created for Gulf Wars, about 5-6 years ago.

                    The original (stated) purpose was two-fold:

                    1)  Get archery in front of people!  The archery range at GW is almost as far away from things as possible.  It was hoped that by holding a "Grand" tournament, at the Fort, where hundreds of people are (or at least recently were) gathered would be a good way to generate interest in archery.  It was intended to Wow the audience.  Banners are set up to add color and attract attention.  There was a "Heralds" competition, as each archer would bring their favorite herald to announce them to the crowd.  Some very cool and entertaining heraldic introductions were heard!  And the various competitions are meant to challenge the archers and impress the crowd.  The intent was to get the best archers out there for that reason.

                    2)  The second purpose was to help increase IKAC participation.  The archers selected for the GET were to be those with the highest IKAC average, as shot during the preceding season.  By popular demand, we allowed IKACs shot at the war to count.

                    The IKAC component proved a bit difficult to manage (some scores were lost or not reported for various reasons), so it was dropped in the following years, although I wouldn't mind seeing it re-introduced.

                    The idea of having winners from the daily shoots get a place in the GET was a way to try to find the best archers attending the war and get them to the GET.  It was suggested to us to allow each Kingdom to nominate an archer for the GET as well.  This sounded like a good idea and seemed to work pretty well.

                    The wildcard entrants were added at some point, I forget the reason.  But, I think it's not a bad idea.  If the purpose is to generate interest in archery, it doesn't hurt to show that you don't have to be crack shot to get out there and have fun.  Which brings us to the 3rd (unstated, but obvious) purpose of the GET:  "To Have Fun".  I hope we have achieved this for the participating archers and I hope we can continue to challenge them with new and interesting shoots and succeed in drawing new people into the activity!

                    I hope this helps.  I will continue to follow the conversation with interest!

                    Cheers,
                    THL Aleyn Kynyd ap Rhys
                    Barony of Seleone
                    Gleann Abhann