popinjay. was - Merry Men

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 54 , May 20, 2012
    I hope the attachments are readable.  They show some period examples of popinjay collars and chains.

    The winner of each competition could add a small medallion to the chain with their name and the competition they won engraved upon it.

    Jon

  • James Koch
    Message 54 of 54 , May 21, 2012
      Nicolaa,

      You have again hit the nail squarely on the head. At this point we
      need to come up with the tournaments and a place to post the
      scores. A name for the victors would be nice. As you mentioned, the
      rapier community uses, Don (appropriated from the Spanish), White
      Scarf (made up and alluding to SCA jargon "white belt"), or here in
      the Middle Kingdom Bronze Ring (beats me where they got that). Since
      we are not discussing any sort of peerage we don't really need to
      concern ourselves with the M word. We just need a designation like
      schutzenkonig to indicate the current holder of the popinjay (parrot)
      trophy. Eventually we'll have individuals who have won two or even
      three Grand Archery Tournaments. Sort of a triple crown. There are
      Dukes who have won three Crown Tournaments, so it is possible once we
      have the tournaments in place.

      > > "Maybe we should do likewise and pick a title equivalent to Lord
      > or Lady from a culture that is known for archery."
      > >
      > > i.e.: England, Mongol, Byzenitine, Turk, et. al.
      > >
      > > We have looked there and they don''t seem to suit our purpose.
      >
      >That's because we've been looking for something that says "archer" but
      >is a title used in period.
      >
      >Our rapier brethren didn't pick "Don" because it unambiguously meant
      >"someone who is expert with a rapier" in period. They certainly didn't
      >use "Don" in England--in fact, George Silver would have likely beat you
      >about the head if you tried.
      >
      >The fact is, our titles are mostly compromises--a way to add a period
      >flavour to our game. They mean what we've defined them to mean.
      >
      >To be honest, the more I think about it, I'm not completely sure a title
      >is needed. Something to call the victor of a large inter-kingdom
      >competition would be nice (and Schutzenkonig is perfect for that). But
      >I think what we really want to use is Master/Mistress when that day
      >comes we get a missile weapons peerage--and if we don't pick something
      >now, that will mean less of a dilemma when that day comes.
      >
      >Nicolaa

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"