Archery Trivia

  • James of Odo
    Message 1 of 8 , May 19, 2012
      Archery Trivia:

      1992-The Olympic torch, in Barcelona, Spain is ignited using a flaming arrow shot by Antonio Rebollo of the Spanish Olympic Team.

      [I'd like to this at one of our events!]

      JoO

      p.s. The beautious Gena Davis was an Olympic Archer a few years back.
    • James Koch
      Message 2 of 8 , May 19, 2012
        JoO,

        Interesting.  Merlin is actually planning to do a flaming arrow demo at Pennsic.  If we had an evening party at the range we could use flaming arrows to light the bonfire.

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

        >At 10:52 AM 5/19/2012, you wrote:

        Archery Trivia:

        1992-The Olympic torch, in Barcelona, Spain is ignited using a flaming arrow shot by Antonio Rebollo of the Spanish Olympic Team.

        [I'd like to this at one of our events!]

        JoO

        p.s. The beautious Gena Davis was an Olympic Archer a few years back.

      • Jim Pickette
        Message 3 of 8 , May 19, 2012
          Should be pretty impressive. Better yet, invite Gena Davis!

          JoO

          Message 4 of 8 , May 19, 2012
            Davis has stated that she was not an athlete growing up, and that her introduction to archery was in 1997, two years prior to her tryouts.

            In July 1999, Davis was one of 300 women who vied for a semifinals berth in the US Olympic archery team to participate in the Sydney 2000 Summer Olympics.[6] She placed 24th of 300 and did not qualify for the team, but participated as a wild-card entry in the Sydney International Golden Arrow competition.

            A fine shooter and looks better in tights than most of us.

            JoO
          • Susan Carroll-Clark
            Message 5 of 8 , May 19, 2012
              Greetings!

              Here in Canada, Olympic-themed merchandise is a big deal and is
              available at the Bay (Hudson's Bay Company) stores. Thursday while at
              the store in Ottawa, I actually spotted a shirt for "Canada Archery"
              with a lovely recurve and arrow--I'd never seen one of these before.
              But it was a kids' size 10-12. Almost bought it anyway.

              Nicolaa
            • Chris Ivins
              Message 6 of 8 , May 19, 2012
                Geena Davis would be fine, just don't invite Mel Brooks, or the roofs of the merchant structures won't be safe!! - Iurii

                ---- James Koch <alchem@...> wrote:
                > JoO,
                >  >
                > Interesting.  Merlin is actually planning to do a
                > flaming arrow demo at Pennsic.  If we had an
                > evening party at the range we could use flaming arrows to light the bonfire.
                >  >
                > Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
                >  >
                >  >At 10:52 AM 5/19/2012, you wrote:
                > >

                > >Archery Trivia:
                > >
                > >1992-The Olympic torch, in Barcelona, Spain is
                > >ignited using a flaming arrow shot by Antonio
                > >Rebollo of the Spanish Olympic Team.
                > >
                > >[I'd like to this at one of our events!]
                > >
                > >JoO
                > >
                > >p.s. The beautious Gena Davis was an Olympic Archer a few years back.

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Gary Hecathorn
                Message 7 of 8 , May 20, 2012
                  I hope that Merlin has contacted the Coopers and received an Ok on this demo. The last time Owen did a torch light shoot security and the Coopers came out to the range to shut him down because they knew nothing about the shoot. That was part of the reason it was the last time he put it on. It may sound harmless, but the Coopers are kind of funny about fire flying in the air at night.

                  Gareth Thorne

                  On Sat, 19 May 2012 11:45:38 -0400 James Koch <alchem@...> writes:

                  JoO,

                  Interesting.  Merlin is actually planning to do a flaming arrow demo at Pennsic.  If we had an evening party at the range we could use flaming arrows to light the bonfire.

                  Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                  >At 10:52 AM 5/19/2012, you wrote:

                  Archery Trivia:

                  1992-The Olympic torch, in Barcelona, Spain is ignited using a flaming arrow shot by Antonio Rebollo of the Spanish Olympic Team.

                  [I'd like to this at one of our events!]

                  JoO

                  p.s. The beautious Gena Davis was an Olympic Archer a few years back.

                • scadougal
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 21, 2012
                    This is a Very Good Point, Gareth.

                    Dave is pretty particular about fire.