Re: Period vs. modern

  • James W. Pratt Jr.
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 30, 1999
      Where are you, so we can get you with a bowyer to get you started.

      James Cunningham

      But with just the book this wood will sit and continue to
      >dry until I can find someone that can work with me. End result I want to
      >shoot period and I can't. So for now I will shoot my 62" 55# recurve and
      >enjoy.
      >
      >Ian Griffen

    • John Rockwell
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 30, 1999
        Ian Here Again this eve

        I live in the big city of Kingdom of Atenveldt, Barony of Atenveldt
        (Phoenix)

        Ian Griffen

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 31, 1999
          >From: "John Rockwell" <phxrock@...>
          I live in Ohio so I cannot help unless I get to Astrella War. What you can
          do is go to a lumber yard and get a pine board and practice. The real key I
          think is seeing the wood move as a whole. It is not easy to decribe but
          once you see it you will know what to look for. The one thing I know for
          sure is; that without starting you will never get your bow. Try on a cheap
          knot free peice the worse thing that will happen is you will learn
          something. I hope someone on the new list is close enough to help you.

          James Cunningham

        • aleksei1@xxxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 31, 1999
            M'lord,
            If you can order or borrow a copy of the video "Making a Wood Bow"
            by Mark Keller, I think you'll find it's some of the best money you've
            spent on archery. Very visual and he believes in the KISS principle.
            Best of luck,
            Aleksei Zateev
            AnTir

          • BlkKnightI@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 31, 1999
              I have just recieved an Email disagreeing with a statement I made having no
              bearing on archery. I applaude this as personal disagreements should not be
              posted to the list.
              I think if there are any further disagreements or attacks on Tracy or myself,
              in the interest of the list, they should be sent directly to our email
              addresses so the rest of the subscribers will not be subjected to it.
              THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS MADE IN JEST-All compliments should be made in
              public! ---:) JOKE! Ha-HA?

              Now that I think the battle is done, here is some information period type
              archers may be interested in.
              I have been in contact with the curator of the Mary Rose Museum on many
              matters -but specific to arrow artifacts- the is a comprehensive study in
              progress on such and a book on the subject is in the works. Unfortunately, it
              is seen as being published three years from now. In the meantime the one
              chapter dealing with the Mary Rose finds in Hardys "Longbow" is all he can
              suggest.

              Hoping this doesnt start another war.
              Richard
            • Robert L Brunnemer
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 31, 1999
                What is the KISS principal? The only one I can think of is the band
                (Knights in Satans Sanctuary)

                Have a nice day!!!
                Robert
                Hugewheels@...
                Tha mi a'fluich mi kilt!!!

              • Bob Dewart
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 31, 1999
                  Greetings and Hi There,

                  There are a few variations; but, basically it means Keep It Simple Stupid.

                  Gilli

                  Robert L Brunnemer asks:

                • K9exlupmax@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 31, 1999
                    KISS= Keep It Stupid Simple...or something to that effect...

                    Ross
                  • AMENSEYA@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 31, 1999
                      Keep It Simple Stupid= KISS principle

                      May your arrows fly swiftly and may they hit their target firmly...
                      YIS
                      Regards,
                      Lady Ayesha of the Flowing Sands
                    • Ken Cooke
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 31, 1999
                        Hi everyone,

                        I am one of those that lurks, most of the time. I have been watching
                        several interesting threads go by and I thought that I would make some
                        comments.

                        I am new to the SCA and have only been on the list for a short time. I am
                        sorry to see tempers flare so much and I hope it all settles down for the
                        better.

                        First I would like to comment on documentation. Archery was not only a
                        sport of interest, it was mandated by law, for several hundred years.
                        Every man over age 12 was to own a bow and at least two arrows and they
                        were to shoot on every holy day. This was everyday life. Over the all
                        these years, I can imagine that arrows were kept and carried by just about
                        any practical method that we can think of. Would this be documented?
                        Probably not any more than how to cut and store firewood, although, I
                        would like to see as much documentation as can be found. The only things
                        that would be documented would be the important things, like battles,
                        showing the Kings archers (the paid guys), not the militia gathered on the
                        way to war, they were just peasants after all. They would not have worn
                        uniforms and would have used their everyday tackle.

                        Someone asked about documentation on cresting. Again, this would have been
                        common practice and no-one would pay much attention to documenting it. Did
                        they crest their arrows? Lets think, one, maybe two fletchers in a town,
                        all their work looking similar. Then give those to 15-20 guys and let them
                        shoot them at the butts. Now for a little human nature "that's mine!!"
                        and we have arrows that are marked in some way. Competitive guys, "mine
                        are better than yours" and we have rather fancy cresting. I personally
                        can not believe that they did not crest arrows. Besides, everything that I
                        have read about competitions etc., there was never any question as to arrow
                        ownership.

                        After about three hundred years of this kind of activity, I would think
                        that none of us are coming up with anything new, documented or not.

                        I am new to the game, but I am not new to archery. I come from a long line
                        of archers and I am fairly proficient at the craft. I like the idea of
                        encouraging period or as near period as possible equipment. I do feel,
                        however, that the society is lacking in that little extra effort to
                        encourage it. In fact, I think that the way things are now, they are
                        discouraging it. I was recently at an event and listened to several
                        archers discussing the fact that they were not giving up their recurves as
                        long as there was no advantage in the competition. In other words, as long
                        as it is allowed, they are going to use it because it is easier to shoot
                        and therefore easier to win. They are not stretching for the next level
                        because there is no incentive offered to do so. I shoot a long bow, well,
                        a modern wood and glass flat bow that is real close to a long bow (I am
                        still learning the art of bow making and can not afford to buy one already
                        made). I am looking for that next level, then I see some of the prizes
                        that can be won and I wonder if I should use one of my recurves in the
                        competition. I am at a disadvantage shooting against those easier to shoot
                        bows, and they are easier to shoot. I would like to see more people
                        shooting more period equipment.

                        I also feel that this can be taken too far. Self nocked arrows are not as
                        safe as glue on nocks and much more costly to replace when you hit them. I
                        once saw pictures of horn nocks that looked a lot like some of the plastic
                        ones you can buy today. I think they were Mongolian. Arrows were all made
                        about a cloth yard long, not custom fit to the individual. I am not making
                        strings out of linen, hemp or silk. The modern materials are much better
                        and I don't want to lose my bow to a broken string. So, how realistic do we
                        get?

                        I would enjoy comments on this. E-mail me privately if you like, I always
                        enjoy talking archery. Thank you for letting me ramble on. I apologize
                        for any inaccuracies, as I am not a scholar, just a hobbyist.

                        Karrick
                      • James W. Pratt Jr.
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 31, 1999
                          It was coined by the Air Force first. It means Keep It Simple... Stupid.

                          Retired before I got too old.

                          James

                          >From: Robert L Brunnemer <hugewheels@...>
                          >
                          >What is the KISS principal? The only one I can think of is the band
                          >(Knights in Satans Sanctuary)
                          >
                          >Have a nice day!!!
                          >Robert
                          >Hugewheels@...
                          >Tha mi a'fluich mi kilt!!!

                          >ONElist members are using Shared Files in great ways!
                          >http://www.onelist.com
                          >Are you? If not, see our homepage for details.

                        • John Edgerton
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 31, 1999
                            Those of you that do make period style gear have a chance to display it
                            to other archers and interested people at this Pennsic. You can enter
                            period style archery gear that you have made and get to help judge the
                            work of others and to hear their opinions and comments on your work. It
                            is a chance to learn and share information. The Archery Masterwork Judging
                            will held on Wed in the marshals tent on the archery range from 4:00 to
                            5:00 pm. If you are interested check the pre Pennsic flyer for
                            information.

                            How many of you that do make you own gear were planing on entering the
                            competition? How many of you had heard about it? It is just one way that
                            we can help to encourage the use and construction of period archery gear.
                            Even if you do not make your own gear, yet. You sould consider going just
                            to see what is being made and to talk to and learn from those that are
                            doing so allready.

                            The next AMJ will be in Nov at Great Western War in Caid. You can either
                            bring your own entry, have someone else bring it for you or contact the
                            person running it to see about the possibility of mailing your entry in.

                            The next after that is in Feb at Estrella War in Atenvelt.

                            Then I hope that it will be run at Gulf wars and Lillies. But for the
                            last two years, I have been unable to find anyone to run it there. Are
                            there any volunters?

                            If we want to see more period gear in the SCA, then those that know how
                            to make it should teach more archers how to to it. And those that learn
                            from them need to then teach others. If you do not have a sca bowyer in
                            your area you might consider asking one from another area to come for a
                            week end and teach a basic class. Pay their way and expenses, etc. Or if
                            you can not find a sca bowyer, locate a mundane one and pay them.

                            When I joined the SCA in ASII, there were only about two people that made
                            some armor. But, consider the quanity and quality of the armorers we have
                            now. If we work at it then we could do the same for bowyers, fletchers, etc.

                            Jon
                          • j'lynn yeates
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 31, 1999
                              On 31 Jul 99, at 18:43, Ken Cooke wrote:

                              > First I would like to comment on documentation. Archery was not only a
                              > sport of interest, it was mandated by law, for several hundred years.
                              > Every man over age 12 was to own a bow and at least two arrows and they
                              > were to shoot on every holy day. This was everyday life.

                              not necessarily so ... in what particular culture, what time period, whose law
                              code .. ???

                              alway remember the SCA covers a wide scope of cultures and time periods (i do
                              so miss my pscho-aztec friend of years past .... g). in many of these
                              cultures/times the bow is iirrelevent, in many it is predominant. as a general
                              rule, in the SCA, a blanket statement is always a dangerous thing .. as it
                              tends to catch fire so easily (g).

                              for many of us, in our primary cultural affiliations, archery is a novelty or
                              an irrelevance (keltoi for one .. spear was much more a primary) ... in my
                              case, luckily i have a additional eastern bent that brings it back into the
                              primary fold (things scyhtian, mongol, ...) ... by my nature, i do so love
                              hybridization in all things.

                              anyone got any plans / designs for eastern bow / arrow cases ... got some ideas
                              for a belt rig that moves to the harley's saddle bag mounts for secure
                              transport and open for refinements ... i ask you what could be more "mongol"
                              than that idea (g)

                              'wolf
                              .. who chooses to live in the *current* middle ages

                              ... truth is the sword of us all (lords of the new church)
                            • Ken Cooke
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 31, 1999
                                Wolf,

                                Sorry that I was not more specific. I meant in England. I am sorry that
                                my memory fails me on who it was that first made it law. I used to keep a
                                notebook of these interesting facts but I have moved twice since I last saw
                                it. I think (I may be wrong here) that it was Henry III, around 1230?,
                                that made it a law and it was a law for right around 300 years. I need to

                                Karrick
                              • Chris Nogy
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 1, 1999
                                  Sir Jon

                                  I will run the thing at Lilies. All you had to do was ask...

                                  Kaz

                                  > From: John Edgerton <sirjon@...>, on 8/1/99 11:14 AM:
                                  > From: John Edgerton <sirjon@...>
                                  >
                                  > Those of you that do make period style gear have a chance to display it
                                  > to other archers and interested people at this Pennsic. You can enter
                                  > period style archery gear that you have made and get to help judge the
                                  > work of others and to hear their opinions and comments on your work. It
                                  > is a chance to learn and share information. The Archery Masterwork Judging
                                  > will held on Wed in the marshals tent on the archery range from 4:00 to
                                  > 5:00 pm. If you are interested check the pre Pennsic flyer for
                                  > information.
                                  >
                                  > How many of you that do make you own gear were planing on entering the
                                  > competition? How many of you had heard about it? It is just one way that
                                  > we can help to encourage the use and construction of period archery gear.
                                  > Even if you do not make your own gear, yet. You sould consider going just
                                  > to see what is being made and to talk to and learn from those that are
                                  > doing so allready.
                                  >
                                  > The next AMJ will be in Nov at Great Western War in Caid. You can either
                                  > bring your own entry, have someone else bring it for you or contact the
                                  > person running it to see about the possibility of mailing your entry in.
                                  >
                                  > The next after that is in Feb at Estrella War in Atenvelt.
                                  >
                                  > Then I hope that it will be run at Gulf wars and Lillies. But for the
                                  > last two years, I have been unable to find anyone to run it there. Are
                                  > there any volunters?
                                  >
                                  > If we want to see more period gear in the SCA, then those that know how
                                  > to make it should teach more archers how to to it. And those that learn
                                  > from them need to then teach others. If you do not have a sca bowyer in
                                  > your area you might consider asking one from another area to come for a
                                  > week end and teach a basic class. Pay their way and expenses, etc. Or if
                                  > you can not find a sca bowyer, locate a mundane one and pay them.
                                  >
                                  > When I joined the SCA in ASII, there were only about two people that made
                                  > some armor. But, consider the quanity and quality of the armorers we have
                                  > now. If we work at it then we could do the same for bowyers, fletchers, etc.
                                  >
                                  > Jon

                                  > ONElist announces "FRIENDS & FAMILY!"
                                  > For details, including our weekly drawing, go to
                                  > http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

                                • Alberic
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 1, 1999
                                    > On 31 Jul 99, at 18:43, Ken Cooke wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > First I would like to comment on documentation. Archery was not only a
                                    > > sport of interest, it was mandated by law, for several hundred years.
                                    > > Every man over age 12 was to own a bow and at least two arrows and they
                                    > > were to shoot on every holy day. This was everyday life.
                                    >
                                    > not necessarily so ... in what particular culture, what time period, whose law
                                    > code .. ???
                                    >
                                    > alway remember the SCA covers a wide scope of cultures and time periods (i do
                                    > so miss my pscho-aztec friend of years past .... g). in many of these
                                    > cultures/times the bow is iirrelevent, in many it is predominant. as a general
                                    > rule, in the SCA, a blanket statement is always a dangerous thing .. as it
                                    > tends to catch fire so easily (g).

                                    Ken:

                                    If you mean Esh, he's now *sir* Esh, the society's one functioning
                                    Jaguar Knight.
                                    (X-squire brother of mine, and a very cool life unit.) Haven't seen him
                                    lately, but I'm in Caid these days.

                                    As far as legally required archery, as best my memory serves before
                                    caffine, the only area where this was a legal requirement was Tudor
                                    England. Exact dates unknown without massive infusion of caffine, but I
                                    get the sense that it was roughly 1200-1415 or so, or at least in that
                                    ballpark. The idea behind the law was to maintain a certain skill among
                                    the populace so that the king could "recruit" archers wherever he went,
                                    and have enough bodies and bolts to stop or blunt a charge.

                                    FWIW,
                                    Alberic
                                  • John Edgerton
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 1, 1999
                                      On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Chris Nogy wrote:

                                      > From: Chris Nogy <cnogy@...>
                                      >
                                      > Sir Jon
                                      >
                                      > I will run the thing at Lilies. All you had to do was ask...
                                      >
                                      > Kaz

                                      Great. Now do we have any volunters for Gulf? :-)

                                      Jon

                                      > > From: John Edgerton <sirjon@...>, on 8/1/99 11:14 AM:
                                      > > From: John Edgerton <sirjon@...>
                                      > >
                                      > > Those of you that do make period style gear have a chance to display it
                                      > > to other archers and interested people at this Pennsic. You can enter
                                      > > period style archery gear that you have made and get to help judge the
                                      > > work of others and to hear their opinions and comments on your work. It
                                      > > is a chance to learn and share information. The Archery Masterwork Judging
                                      > > will held on Wed in the marshals tent on the archery range from 4:00 to
                                      > > 5:00 pm. If you are interested check the pre Pennsic flyer for
                                      > > information.
                                      > >
                                      > > How many of you that do make you own gear were planing on entering the
                                      > > competition? How many of you had heard about it? It is just one way that
                                      > > we can help to encourage the use and construction of period archery gear.
                                      > > Even if you do not make your own gear, yet. You sould consider going just
                                      > > to see what is being made and to talk to and learn from those that are
                                      > > doing so allready.
                                      > >
                                      > > The next AMJ will be in Nov at Great Western War in Caid. You can either
                                      > > bring your own entry, have someone else bring it for you or contact the
                                      > > person running it to see about the possibility of mailing your entry in.
                                      > >
                                      > > The next after that is in Feb at Estrella War in Atenvelt.
                                      > >
                                      > > Then I hope that it will be run at Gulf wars and Lillies. But for the
                                      > > last two years, I have been unable to find anyone to run it there. Are
                                      > > there any volunters?
                                      > >
                                      > > If we want to see more period gear in the SCA, then those that know how
                                      > > to make it should teach more archers how to to it. And those that learn
                                      > > from them need to then teach others. If you do not have a sca bowyer in
                                      > > your area you might consider asking one from another area to come for a
                                      > > week end and teach a basic class. Pay their way and expenses, etc. Or if
                                      > > you can not find a sca bowyer, locate a mundane one and pay them.
                                      > >
                                      > > When I joined the SCA in ASII, there were only about two people that made
                                      > > some armor. But, consider the quanity and quality of the armorers we have
                                      > > now. If we work at it then we could do the same for bowyers, fletchers, etc.
                                      > >
                                      > > Jon

                                      > > ONElist announces "FRIENDS & FAMILY!"
                                      > > For details, including our weekly drawing, go to
                                      > > http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

                                      > > of Barony Beyond the Mountain, East Kingdom

                                      > You can WIN $100 to Amazon.com by starting a new list at ONElist.
                                      > Drawing is held each week through August 20. For details, go to
                                      > http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

                                    • D Humberson
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 2, 1999
                                        Ian,

                                        Try starting with a straight-grained hickory or ash plank for your first
                                        couple - the kids appreciste 'em, and they're way cheaper.

                                        Ragnar K