Re: Merry Men

  • Dan Stratton
    Message 1 of 54 , May 16, 2012
      ">My original idea was to take on three
      Merry Men. Basically three guys who showed enough interest to obtain
      a bow, good arrows, and all the other equipment necessary to
      participate in SCA archery. Thus far I have found only two. Merlin
      went out and recruited a half dozen Merry Men with no trouble at
      all. Other members of the Greenwood company are forming similar
      "bands". The idea is that these squads work as a unit to promote
      archery. The Merry Men get training, and the members of the
      Greenwood Company have extra hands available to set up shoots and
      haul saunders matts. My only problem to date is coming up with SCA
      period appropriate terms for the relationships involved. Everyone
      has heard of Robin Hood and his Band Of Merry Men. But what is Robin
      Hood's relationship to his Band? Is he the Captain? Our kingdom
      already has an Archer General. What alternative terms are there for
      "Band". Band to my modern ears sounds like a music group. Company
      in my opinion refers to a larger group and is already being
      used. Any suggestions?

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"  "
      ..
      One could always go to Chaucer - The Canterbury Tales.
      I believe he used the term: Yeoman
      A band of Yeomen?
      Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
      Midrealm Forester - OP
      "- bows of carved wood strong for use, with well-seasoned strings of hemp, and arrows sharp-pointed whizzing in flight."
    • James Koch
      Message 54 of 54 , May 21, 2012
        Nicolaa,

        You have again hit the nail squarely on the head. At this point we
        need to come up with the tournaments and a place to post the
        scores. A name for the victors would be nice. As you mentioned, the
        rapier community uses, Don (appropriated from the Spanish), White
        Scarf (made up and alluding to SCA jargon "white belt"), or here in
        the Middle Kingdom Bronze Ring (beats me where they got that). Since
        we are not discussing any sort of peerage we don't really need to
        concern ourselves with the M word. We just need a designation like
        schutzenkonig to indicate the current holder of the popinjay (parrot)
        trophy. Eventually we'll have individuals who have won two or even
        three Grand Archery Tournaments. Sort of a triple crown. There are
        Dukes who have won three Crown Tournaments, so it is possible once we
        have the tournaments in place.