Re: was PVCV bows

  • frode_kettilsson
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1 9:58 AM
      No disagreement there, James!  I use linen primarily because it's fairly inexpensive, and easy to glue with wood glue (I prefer Titebond III).   And with board bows it's sometimes hard to know for sure what you're getting into, even when the grain looks good.  I've blown up a light linen backed bow (blown up!), but I've also had linen save me from serious injury on a much heavier bow.  A backing is primarily a peace of mind thing, especially while learning.  Linen also gives you a canvas to work on if you're into the decorative thing, and some folks are.  Not necessarily period, although some of the Turkish bows were quite elaborately decorated.
      But, agreed, an unbacked wood bow is the gold standard.
      Frode