Re: [SCA-Archery] Hunger games

  • Susan Carroll-Clark
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 22, 2012
      Gladius, I think the idea of allowing archers who don't make Champions
      to also shoot the Champions shoot is fabulous. Champions is almost
      always the best shoot at Pennsic with the most work involved in putting
      it together. Last year, I was an alternate. In some past years,
      they've put the alternates into a group that went through the shoots so
      that it would be easy to pull a score if one were needed, or just for
      fun. Last year that didn't happen, and and I got to shoot at exactly
      one station. For a decent archer (especially one like me who is
      considerably better at roving ranges and clouts), seeing an interesting
      or challenging range, spending your entire day there, and not being able
      to actually shoot it is really almost a form of torture :-) However,
      attending the practices last year beforehand was one of the best things
      I've ever done, and it helped me improve my shooting considerably.

      Nicolaa
      (Ealdormere DEM - Archery)
    • Taslen
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 22, 2012
        Jim,

        Lets see what we can do to develop this in our area what about trying to get all those folks that come to the practices to bring all those kids they have to have at home?

        Gaelen

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 22, 2012
          My clubs Thursday evening "come and try Archey" event went from 10 or 12 newbies to 35 or 40, and most of them mention this movie for the reason that they are there.

          Longbow John

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 22, 2012
            I held my first practice of the season, set up for Youth and Children's IKAC rounds, on Tuesday. One of my first students,
            now age 22 had two younger cousins that wanted to try archery. The day of the shoot, as I was setting up I found out that
            there were now three younger cousins (all girls, ages 12, 9, and 8) and the first words I heard from them was a discussion on
            the movie as they filed down to the range area with gloves and arm guards already on. (my student is efficient) All of the kids
            that shot that day had either seen the movie or the trailers. I think that "Brave" is going to fuel the interest even more!!

            Osmond de Berwic
            Archery Marshal
            Barony of Stonemarche
            East Kingdom

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 22, 2012
              John,

              That is awesome congrats what was the overall reaction?

              Gaelen O'Gradaigh

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 23, 2012
                Not very many new archers. 3 girls and a boy or two over the last couple of months.

                On the other hand, when people see my vehicle they giggle. Cat drives a Tribute and is a pretty good shot at 20 and 30 yds with a recurve.

                Cat
              • cat4tuna@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 23, 2012
                  You could have a mesh bag of apples. You could have a stuffed rabbit hanging from rubber bands, which is harder than it sounds. Or a stuffed apple. Or a bag of water balloons (who can pop the most or last). Or a dangling tennis ball. Which is fun, btw.  If recommend a light sealing coat of true oil to keep the shafts dry.
                  Shoot a silver wire woven ring. Makes a good souvenir. how about lifesize profiles of the sponsors eating and her getting their attention by shooting through them at the food.

                • John Warns
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 23, 2012
                    Were getting so many return people that we have to split it into two groups, with the movie "Brave" coming out in June this could go on for some time.

                    LBJ

                    That is awesome congrats what was the overall reaction?

                    Gaelen O'Gradaigh

                    My clubs Thursday evening "come and try Archey" event went from 10 or 12 newbies to 35 or 40, and most of them mention this movie for the reason that they are there.

                    Longbow John

                    I was just wondering if anyone has noticed an increase in the past few weeks on youth archery in their area since the movie hunger gamnes has come out. I know it deals with the main character being proficcient with the bow and is very popular with preteens and young teens.

                    Southtower Archery Marshall (Gleann abhann)
                    Kirby Cambel

                  • David A. Nolan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 23, 2012
                      Specifically to our SCA archery practice? We have a few new faces...mainly people who showed up, saw us, and got hooked, and they've been showing up again.  The Tribune published a story where they interviewed owners of ranges in the Chicago area (including where we shoot at and are very friendly with the owner, Terry). Apparently their clientele has exploded. Every time I head down to the range someone's getting lessons now, where before that wasn't always the case.

                      http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-03-29/news/ct-met-hunger-games-archery-20120329_1_hunger-games-bow-and-arrow-usa-archery

                      Aengus O'Nolan

                      Sent from my iPhone

                    • blooney@wi.rr.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 23, 2012
                        Both the archery Shops/ranges I frequent in the Milwaukee area tell me they've see a significant increase - more interest in classes, more equipment sales. ANd I've noted the ranges are more crowded. Our local ABC News even had a segment,
                        Hunger Games Boosts Archery Interest. Here's the link:

                        http://www.wisn.com/Hunger-Games-Boosts-Archery-Interest/-/9374034/10948236/-/1353vvhz/-/index.html

                        William of Mann
                        Barony of Caer Anterth Maer
                        Kingdom of Northshield