Archery Bocce

  • Bernal Schooley
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2012
      A bocce tournament was held Saturday at the Stone Dog Inn event in Chicago. While playing, I suggested that we adapt the scoring rules to archery and try it at our next practice. Well, last night we got a chance to play a few rounds and it was a lot more fun than we expected.

      For the jack (target ball) we used was a foam ball about the size of a golf ball connected to a golf tee by a stiff weed wacker wire (the archery range we shoot at sells these). This gave us a ball that could be moved (ever so slightly) and typically would only settle and touch one arrow at most even if hit by more. Each player or team shoots four arrows taking turns with your opponent(s). The winner of each set starts the next.

      Scoring is simple once you understand it. A ball touching the jack (target ball) counts as two points and then the person with the closest arrow scores a point for every arrow they have that is closer than the closest arrow of an opponent. So, for each set, only one person receives points. We played to 9 points.

      I was surprised to see that the game was not a runaway for someone with more skill than their opponent. This was because you only need one good shot out of four to keep your opponent from running up the score quickly in one set. So while they may not win, they have a decent chance to put up some points no matter who they play against.

      We played matches with two and three people playing against each other and both worked well. You could easily adjust the number of arrows per set and the number of points required to win.

      Give it a try, I think you'll be surprised like we were at how much fun it is.

      --Richard de Scolay
      Ayreton