Re: [SCA-Archery] Evidence to support sniping in battle

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2012
      How is that evidence of snipping?

      "snipingpresent participle of snipe (Verb)

      Verb:
      1. Shoot at someone from a hiding place, esp. at long range."
      That does not show that he was shot from a concealed location and it says it was done at short range.

      I believe that it is a good example of selective targeting which was commonly done, but not of snipping.

      I think the term "snipping" is often misused when "selective targeting" aiming at a particular person is meant. And it is sometime used to disparage archers that are accurate enough to select a distant target and hit it, even from done in the open on the SCA battlefield.

      Jon

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2012
        I'm referring to the arguement that archers only shot in long distance volleys.
        Someone was keeping track of examples to the contrary.
        ~Hobbe

      • bluecat@neo.rr.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 2012
          I agree with Jon.

          What has been described as 'sniping' by most SCA folks is really target selection. In melee and war combat
          your battlefield awareness has to account for any attack, even one at range by a siege weapon or arrow. That
          was normal in the middle ages- just as it was normal to target specific weapon threats, commanders and nobility.

          I know of someone so skilled with a ballista he can place a bolt on a given person at will if they do not move
          once the shot is fired. If you aren't paying attention it will get you, and they are getting you from a range
          the combat arrows can't easily get.

          Dirk Edward of Frisia