Re: [SCA-Archery] Fwd: Draw weight

  • Cleve Johnson
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2012
      Most bows I have seen measure the draw weight at 28 inches, but the usual method is to take the bow at 28 inches and subtract 2 to 3 pounds per inch less than 28 inches to show what she is actually pulling.  My guess is that she start with a 25 to 30 pound bow (at 28 inches).

      Eadric

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2012
        Greetings--

        I shoot a 28# recurve (a 15-year-old X100) that is rated for a 28" draw.  When I started out, I was drawing at 25" (I'm now up to 28").  No problems at all shooting any standard SCA distance with this bow (including clout, which obviously I shoot at a significant angle).

        We have a 24# recurve in our loaner gear that also does just fine.

        Remember that draw length can be affected by both the poundage and design of the bow.  I draw close to 30" on my horsebow, which is rated around the same poundage as my recurve.

        Nicolaa
        Ealdormere

      • kburgess1@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2012
          any archery shops around ? take your wife shopping, most shops will let you try before u buy.

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2012
            Meryk,
            You've already received good advice here about what draw weight. I would add that whatever weight you decide upon remember that at wars if you want to shoot the clout, which is often part of the war point, you will be shooting 100 yards. Also, to shoot the maximum distance a bow can fling an arrow the bow is held at a 45 degree angle. More or less degrees/angle shortens the distance.

            I used to shoot with a 30 pound bow and was not happy with it's performance at 100 yards so I bought a 49 pound bow. NOW, I realize that a 30 pound bow set up properly can easily shoot 100 yards, actually farther than that. So whatever weight you get, be sure to take the time to set the bow up properly for best results.

            cog