Fwd: Draw weight

  • Bill Abney
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2012

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Bill Abney <blackwolf66@...>
      Date: Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 6:51 PM
      Subject: Draw weight
      To: Calontam@yahoogroups.com

      Greetings all

        I am trying to find a recurve bow for my wife to shoot and was wondering what everyones thoughts were on minimum draw weights, for target shooting, she draws about 26 inches so any thing we find is probably going to be  a bit lower than what it says.

      thanks for all feed back.

      Meryk ap Cadell
      Shire of Oakheart

    • Michael Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2012
        Honestly, there really isn't a minimum draw weight for an adult target archer as you can get it done on the SCA target field with almost any weight bow.  What's going to matter more is what works well to her.  I would suggest trying to get a hold of a nearby group with a solid range of recurve weights and just having her try them all, both drawing and shooting, and see which feels the most intuitive.

        -Eógan
        Archery Captain, Shire of Mynydd Seren
        http://www.wix.com/rangersofmynyddseren/archery

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2012
          Most bows I have seen measure the draw weight at 28 inches, but the usual method is to take the bow at 28 inches and subtract 2 to 3 pounds per inch less than 28 inches to show what she is actually pulling.  My guess is that she start with a 25 to 30 pound bow (at 28 inches).

          Eadric

          --
          Lord Eadric of Grenfeld
          Barony of Sternfeld Archery Captain

        • Susan Carroll-Clark
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2012
            Greetings--

            I shoot a 28# recurve (a 15-year-old X100) that is rated for a 28" draw.  When I started out, I was drawing at 25" (I'm now up to 28").  No problems at all shooting any standard SCA distance with this bow (including clout, which obviously I shoot at a significant angle).

            We have a 24# recurve in our loaner gear that also does just fine.

            Remember that draw length can be affected by both the poundage and design of the bow.  I draw close to 30" on my horsebow, which is rated around the same poundage as my recurve.

            Nicolaa
            Ealdormere

          • kburgess1@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2012
              any archery shops around ? take your wife shopping, most shops will let you try before u buy.

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2012
                Meryk,
                You've already received good advice here about what draw weight. I would add that whatever weight you decide upon remember that at wars if you want to shoot the clout, which is often part of the war point, you will be shooting 100 yards. Also, to shoot the maximum distance a bow can fling an arrow the bow is held at a 45 degree angle. More or less degrees/angle shortens the distance.

                I used to shoot with a 30 pound bow and was not happy with it's performance at 100 yards so I bought a 49 pound bow. NOW, I realize that a 30 pound bow set up properly can easily shoot 100 yards, actually farther than that. So whatever weight you get, be sure to take the time to set the bow up properly for best results.

                cog