newbie

  • archer_faith@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 25, 2000
      I am very new to the SCA and am interested in target archery. I have
      a few questions:
      Is there an age restriction for participating in target archery?
      What type of bow is best for a beginner?
      Also, do you need any armor past the finger and arm guards?

      Thank you,
      Faith
    • Ian Gourdon
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6 7:32 AM
        > From: "Block, Alan W" <Alan.Block@...>
        > Subject: RE: newbie
        >
        > I may be in error but since an ELB 'stacks' (gets progressively
        > harder to
        > pull back) a 40 lb bow at 28 inches draw is about a 30 lb bow at 22
        > inches draw(or something like that)

        Well, that's pretty much the case. My Lady, Arwenna, draws
        22 - 23", and that makes her 45# recurve shoot around 33#. I
        know that my 26" draw lightens my actual draw nearly 10# on
        my 50# bow. I've lightened my arrows poundage and length
        accordingly, over a number of years of experimentation, but
        not everybody would necessarily want to show the marshals a
        50# bow and 40# arrows without being able to do the math,
        and demonstrate why the safety margin is still there.
        --
        Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe, OP
        Known as a forester of the Greenwood, Midrealm
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2001
          That's great.
          You'll find that some of our groups do archery shoots that
          haven't been done on "mundane" ranges since the decline
          of traditional archery. ie: aerial targets, bird on the wire,
          and "running" targets. It'll really widen your archery horizons.

          Steitan
        • Evian Blackthorn
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 13, 2002
            Caoilfhionn,

            Where do you live? Depending on that answer may affect
            some of the answers, such as merchants and such. And will
            definately affect putting you with a good experienced archer
            for one-on-one instruction, which is the best way to learn.

            Evian Blackthorn
            Stargate, Ansteorra