Society Seasonal Archery Challenge

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 13, 2012
      The idea of having a series of competitions that would test various archery skills was discussed a bit ago on the list and I posted my general idea to the list. I then decided to put such a SCA wide competition together and Baron Jonathas offer to set it up on the SCA scores site.

      Jon
      ********************

      The Society Seasonal Archery Challenge (SSAC), inspired by the Seasonal Challenge in Atlantia, is to provide more variety in SCA wide archery competitions. The competition is sponsored by the incipient SCA archery guild.

      The purpose of the SSAC is to provide a series of interesting archery competitions that test different shooting skills. The current scores of the competitors will be posted on the SCA Scores Site, so that all archers will be able to compare their scores against other archers, society wide, in a variety of archery skills. At the end of each year, archers will be able to see the overall standings of all archers in each competition as well as their overall standings in all four of the year`s competitions.

      Creating a Seasonal Competition

      There have been many good competitions mentioned over the years in posts to the SCA-Archery. The goal is to pick some of those that are suitable for a SSAC and set up a schedule so that all may shoot them for some friendly competition. Each shoot needs to be easy to reproduce, set up, run, and score. Different shoots should test a different aspect of archery skill such as; accuracy, speed, distance, moving targets, different shooting positions, etc. Shoots should not require too much time to shoot, so that they will fit into most event schedules and also be possible to shoot more than once in the same day if the marshal in charge wishes.

      Thought should be given as to different divisions, e.g. Open and Period and different categories, e.g. hand-bow, crossbow, period, youth, etc. In addition, some small prizes such as scrolls or tokens may be given to the top scoring archers in each division. The type of scroll or token and the number awarded is up to the originator of the competition. In order not to lose time for the Spring competition, I have already set up a competition.

      The SSAC`s will test a variety of skills and archers should be encouraged, but not required, to shoot in as many divisions of each competition as they can, either with their own different bows e.g. modern recurve, period longbow, crossbow, etc, or with borrowed equipment if it is available.

      The scores will indicate those archers that excel in more than one weapons form. The competitions could be shot more than once per day, if time allows, allowing archers to shoot more than one score per day and to shoot using more than one weapons form if they wish. An archer may shoot a period hand-bow or crossbow in the Open Divisions. However, they may not shoot a non-period bow in the period divisions.

      If you have a competition that you would like to have used for the SSAC, please post it to the SCA-Archery group or to Sir Jon. There anyone with comments or suggestions for improving it may post their comments and the originator of the competition many make any changes that they feel would improve the shoot. Once a shoot is reviewed by the group will add it to the shooting schedule where it seems appropriate to either the weather or the theme of the shoot. Baron Jonathas will act as the Scorekeeper to manage the shoots and individual scores.

      Each new competition would be announced two weeks in advance of starting. Each competition will last for three months. They would be: Spring, April 1 to June 30. Summer, July 1 to September 30. Fall, October 1 to December 31. Winter, January 1 to March 31. Any competition for the winter months should be able to be shot indoors, with a twenty-yard maximum range. Word of the competition would be forwarded to all the other archery lists and to the kingdom archery officers. Those who have a competition should be encouraged to join this group and post it here.

      General Rules

      These General Rules apply to all SSAC component shoots. The various component shoots will have their own rules and target definitions within this framework.

      There are two categories: Open and Period. Each category has two divisions: Handbow and crossbow. There will be a Youth competition as well. The ranges, targets, etc. would be adjusted accordingly for the youth competition within each shoot. The definition of "Youth" will follow those of the Youth Division of the IKAC, however due to the timeframe of each shoot there will only be a single overall youth division.

      The equipment rules for the Open and Period divisions would follow those of the IKAC for handbows and crossbows.

      Questions regarding the competition should be addressed to the originator of the competition, whose contact information will be included in the rules, and to  Sir Jon to be ensure the clarifications are published to the SCA-Archery group.The rules for each of the SSAC shall be determined by the originator of the competition, but should fall within the guildines of the General Rules and the guidance of the SCA-Archery group (This may become members of the SCA Archery Guild.)

      The rules for the Crossbow Divisions may vary from the rules for the Handbow divisions. However, the rules for the Open and Period Handbow divisions will remain the same, as will the rules for the Open and Period Crossbow divisions.

      Scores will be submitted to the SCA Scores Site for tabulation within two weeks of being shot. All information required by each competition must be included or the scores may be considered void, this includes; Event Name and Host, Event Date, Marshal, as well as the Archers Home Group, Mundane, and Scadian names.

      The winners of each division will be determined only by the highest score of each archer in the division. There will be no "three score average" for the SSAC. No winning kingdoms, only friendly competition among like minded archers. Though kingdoms are encouraged to recognize their archers approprately.

      What is the 'Easy to Remember' address for this site?

      http://scores-sca.org/ssac

      ************************

      SSAC General Rules

[...]

      ***********************

      The Scorekeeper last approved scores for this shoot on: unknown

      Shoot Begins: Sunday, April 1, 2012
      Shoot Ends: Saturday, June 30, 2012
      Scores must be Submitted by: Saturday, July 14, 2012 and within 14 days of being shot.

      Rules:
      To get the SSAC started, it will be lead off with a shoot detailed by Sir Jon in his article on medieval archery competitions.

      Please read the SSAC General Rules, as these apply to all SSAC shoots. Below are the additional rules for this specific shoot.

      Target
      The target is a set of metal rings in two-inch increments, 12 to 2 inches inside diameter. The metal macramé rings can be found at most craft stores. The marshal in charge of the shooting has the option of using an equivalent target if needed. Solid disks of cardboard cut to the correct size may also be used. No center aiming point may be added to the targets. They must be plain rings or disks with no additional markings that could be used to aid in aiming.

      Running the shoot
      Each target is shot from 25 yards. The targets are shot one at a time starting with the 12 inch and working down to the 2 inch. The archers shoot three arrows at each ring. To advance to the next smaller ring an archer must have at least one arrow within the current ring. This continues until the two inch ring is reached or no archers have hit within the current ring. To count, arrows must hit completely within the ring, touching the outside edge does not count.

      Scoring
      One point is given for each arrow that strikes completely within the ring and up to three points per target for three hits. Only one arrow within the ring is needed to continue on to the next smaller ring. There would be a maximum possible of 18 points for hits.

      In addition, there would be bonus points added for the smallest ring the archer completed. e.g. 12"=1 point. 10"=2 points. 8"= 3 points. 6"= 4 points. 4"= 5 points. 2"= 6 points.

      A perfect score would be: 24 points (18 points for hits, plus 6 points for shooting within the 2 inch ring =24)

      All ties will be decided in favor of the first archer to enter the score that tied.

      Youth
      For the Youth Division all the rules are the same, but at a distance of 15 yards. Given the short time frame of this shoot there is only one "Youth" division, be sure to enter youth ages.
    • Jonathas
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 19, 2012
        Sir Jon,

        Ok, I have the Finalist shoot setup the way you spec'ed out, and the results displayable in a better manner then my original.

        The text I have for the shoot is below, feel free to edit and send back to me.  Currently the shoot is set to use the Top 10 archers from each of the SSAC shoots per Weapons form.  So first place with a given weapon will be given 10 points, second 9 points, etc. At the end of the year those points will be added up to crown an overall winner, but in the meantime we can watch the scores jump up and down as archers submit their scores.

        I'll publish the shoot once you have OKed the text, then you can announce it as well.

        Jonathas

        Finalist Text:
        This shoot will display the standings of the 2012 SSAC Finalists.  Each archer will gain points for finishing in the Top 10 for each SSAC shoot, with each weapon.  The overall winner will be most well rounded archer, that is the archer who can perform reasonably well with the most weapons types.

      • David A. Nolan

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 19, 2012
              Then you do the best you can with whatever weapons you do have or can borrow.  An archer can still be top scorer in the four competitions each year in one weapon form or more and does not have to compete in all competitions or in all weapon forms.

              However, for those that can, the SSAC can give a good idea of who the top all around SCA archers are, that competed in the competition.

              Jon

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 19, 2012
                Is it important to have an overall winner?  I would have a winner in each division and then a special, separate award perhaps with a title like "The Generalist" or "All Around" that denotes the highest score over the most divisions.

                Sort of depends on what the "prizes" are.  If they are simple, like badges, fluff, certificates whatever then there is no reason to not give away lots of awards.  More awards = more fun.

                -Eógan
                Archery Captain, Shire of Mynydd Seren
                http://www.wix.com/rangersofmynyddseren/archery

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 19, 2012
                  Ah, I misunderstood the previous messages intent. I agree, keeping track of scores for each weapon type AND an 'all-weapons' category seems like fun!

                  Aengus O'Nolan

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 19, 2012
                    There are winners in open and period handbow and crossbow divisions. And then there is an overall winner as well. The overall winner is kind of an extra.

                    Jon

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 3, 2012
                      Just a reminder.  It is time to start considering the next season competition which will start July 1.

                      Does anyone have a competition they would like to submit?

                      Jon

                      ***************

                      SSAC Base Rules

                      These General Rules apply to all SSAC component shoots. The various component shoots will have their own rules and target definitions within this framework.

                      There are two categories: Open and Period. Each category has two divisions: Handbow and crossbow. There will be a Youth competition as well. The ranges, targets, etc. would be adjusted accordingly for the youth competition within each shoot. The definition of "Youth" will follow those of the Youth Division of the IKAC, however due to the timeframe of each shoot there will only be a single overall youth division.

                      The equipment rules for the Open and Period divisions would follow those of the IKAC for handbows and crossbows with the exception of the Period Crossbow Division which is defined as the following. To be classify as a Period Crossbow all the following conditions must be met: 1) The stock must be made of wood. 2) It may not have a rifle-style butt. 3) It may not have a modern style lock (period forms of self-resetting mechanisms are fine, however) or a modern style trigger. 4) It may not have modern style sights, but may have a period style rear sight only (no front sight allowed).

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 9, 2014
                          The Society Seasonal Archery Challenge
                          Hey all,

                          If you have an idea for a shoot that could be used for the SSAC now is the time to send it in!  The idea does not have to be fully formed and 100% useable, just something new and different.  The community at large will help to polish and complete the concept.  All new ideas are useful, some may sit in the proposed list for a bit, others may get picked immediately, but having enough new proposed shoots to work from is what will continue to make the SSAC a fun shoot.

                          So, please send in your shoot ideas either to the list or to Sir Jon and I!

                          Jonathas

                          The competitions for this Fall may be seen at:
                          Voting for the Fall competition will start later this week.

                          Society Seasonal Archery Challenge

                          The Society Seasonal Archery Challenge, SSAC for short, is to provide more unique and continuously changing shoots which are still standardized such at every archer SCA wide is shooting the same competitions, for one season at a time. This idea was inspired by Atlantia"s Seasonal Challenge. The competition is sponsored by the Quivers & Quarrels, the SCA Archery Community.
[...]

                          Each SSAC`s should test a variety of skills and archers should be encouraged, but not required, to shoot in as many divisions of each competition as they can, either with their own different bows e.g. modern recurve, period longbow, crossbow, etc, or with borrowed equipment if it is available.
                          The scores will indicate those archers that excel in more than one weapons form. The competitions could be shot more than once per day, if time allows, allowing archers to shoot more than one score per day and to shoot using more than one weapons form if they wish. An archer may shoot a period hand-bow or crossbow in the Open Divisions. However, they may not shoot a non-period bow in the period divisions.
                          If you have a competition that you would like to have used for the SSAC, please post it to the SCA-Archery group or to Sir Jon. There anyone with comments or suggestions for improving it may post their comments and the originator of the competition many make any changes that they feel would improve the shoot. Once a shoot is reviewed by the group, it will add it to the list of proposed shoots. Master Jonathas will act as the Scorekeeper to manage the shoots and individual scores once the community has chosen.
                          A month before the beginning of the each Season a vote will take place to select the next shoot from the list of Proposed shoots. Once selected each competition will last for one Season, three months. Any competition for the winter months should be able to be shot indoors, with a twenty-yard maximum range. Word of the competition would be forwarded to all the other archery lists and to the kingdom archery officers. Those who have a competition should be encouraged to join this group and post it here.
                          The 'Seasons' will be:
                          • Winter - January 1 to March 31
                          • Spring - April 1 to June 30
                          • Summer - July 1 to September 30
                          • Fall - October 1 to December 31

                          General Rules
                          These General Rules apply to all SSAC component shoots. The various component shoots will have their own rules and target definitions within this framework.
                          There are two categories: Open and Period. Each category has two divisions: Handbow and Crossbow. There will be a Youth division as well. The ranges, targets, etc. would be adjusted accordingly for the Youth Division within each shoot. The definition of `Youth` will follow those of the Youth Division of the IKAC, however due to the timeframe of each shoot there will only be a single overall Youth Division.
                          The equipment rules for the Open and Period divisions would follow those of the IKAC for Handbow and Crossbow with the exception of the Period Crossbow Division which is defined as the following. To be classify as a Period Crossbow all the following conditions must be met: 1) The stock must be made of wood. 2) It may not have a rifle-style butt. 3) It may not have a modern style lock (period forms of self-resetting mechanisms are fine, however) or a modern style trigger. 4) It may not have modern style sights, but may have a period style rear sight only (no front sight allowed).
                          Questions regarding the competition should be addressed to the originator of the competition, whose contact information will be included in the rules, and to Sir Jon to be ensure the clarifications are published to the SCA-Archery group.The rules for each of the SSAC shall be determined by the originator of the competition, but should fall within the guildlines of the General Rules and the guidance of the SCA-Archery group.
                          The rules for the Crossbow Divisions may vary from the rules for the Handbow divisions. However, the rules for the Open and Period categories will remain the same.
                          Scores will be submitted to the SCA Scores Site for tabulation within 30 days of being shot, and within 7 days of the end of the shoot so that the final standings may be included in the next release of the Q&Q Newsletter. All information required by each competition must be included or the scores may be considered void, this includes; Event Name and Host, Event Date, Marshal, as well as the Archers Home Group, Mundane, and Scadian names. For scores submitted to the Youth Division, it must include the age of the archer.