New target stand

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 13, 2012
      I hope the attached photo shows up for everyone.  If not, go to

      http://www.forthoodsentinel.com/story.php?id=3283

      You can tell by his expression that the shot had good penetration.

      Jon

      Download Hi-Res Image

    • George Bottorf
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 13, 2012
        Jon. If I may ask, what possesed you to put a photo like that up, and call it a target stand? That has got to be a very irresponsible act. I know what they did, and the target should have been put on a tripod, not held in hand! I shudder to think of some child trying that stunt. Or someone else. The world is filled with goofy people as it is, we don't need to give them more ideas. Damn, this is scary! Done for now. Abner.
      • John Edgerton
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 13, 2012
          The photo actually shows the gentleman in costume displaying a Robin Hooded arrow that was shot at the show.  The article that goes with it explains that.

          Sorry for upsetting you.  Just my poor sense of humor, I suppose.

          Jon

          Jon. If I may ask, what possesed you to put a photo like that up, and call it a target stand? That has got to be a very irresponsible act. I know what they did, and the target should have been put on a tripod, not held in hand! I shudder to think of some child trying that stunt. Or someone else. The world is filled with goofy people as it is, we don't need to give them more ideas. Damn, this is scary! Done for now. Abner.
        • Ld.blackmoon
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 13, 2012
            greetings

             just goes to show myth busters can be busted too ; )

            Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
            Arthur
            I hope the attached photo shows up for everyone.  If not, go to

            http://www.forthoodsentinel.com/story.php?id=3283

            You can tell by his expression that the shot had good penetration.

            Jon

            Download Hi-Res Image

            No virus found in this message.
            Internal Virus Database is out of date.

          • John Edgerton
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 13, 2012
              However, as an olde theater tech. I would say that since the splitting was supposed to have been done by Robin Hood in one of the shows, that Robin's arrow was shot off stage and then this target with the pre-split arrow was brought on. Even with a highly skilled archer that would be too much to expect to do on cue each performance.

              "One of the Sheriff of Nottingham’s deputies holds the target featuring an arrow split in twain. Robin Hood, disguised as an old man, split Maid Marion’s bulls-eye piercing arrow in two to win the archery tournament. Joy Pariante, Sentinel Leisure Editor"

              Jon

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 13, 2012
                Some people don't need a stand.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EaYIrWvSig
                ~Hobbe

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, George Bottorf <PLUNKETTARCHER@...> wrote:

                > Jon. If I may ask, what possesed you to put a photo like that up,
                > and call it a target stand? That has got to be a very irresponsible
                > act. I know what they did, and the target should have been put on a
                > tripod, not held in hand! I shudder to think of some child trying
                > that stunt. Or someone else. The world is filled with goofy people as
                > it is, we don't need to give them more ideas. Damn, this is scary!
                > Done for now. Abner.

              • Terrance
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 14, 2012
                  M'lord Abner,

                  It doesn't say that the man HELD the target DURING the shooting, just that he was holding it, to display i would think for people to see better.

                  YIS

                  Terrance
                  Atenveldt

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 14, 2012
                    it IS a Ren Faire, not the SCA, so quite likely, or rigged some other way.

                    Terrance
                    Atenveldt

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 14, 2012
                      greetings

                      myth busters tried using modern p.0. cedar shafts ( that tend to be cut off grain )  with target tips ) and then said splitting a shaft  full length couldn't be done.... i was like  uumm guys do your research 1st ; )

                      Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                      Arthur
                      it IS a Ren Faire, not the SCA, so quite likely, or rigged some other way.

                      Terrance
                      Atenveldt

                      > However, as an olde theater tech. I would say that since the splitting was
                      > supposed to have been done by Robin Hood in one of the shows, that Robin's arrow
                      > was shot off stage and then this target with the pre-split arrow was brought on.
                      > Even with a highly skilled archer that would be too much to expect to do on cue
                      > each performance.
                      >

                      > "One of the Sheriff of Nottingham’s deputies holds the target featuring an
                      > arrow split in twain. Robin Hood, disguised as an old man, split Maid Marion’s
                      > bulls-eye piercing arrow in two to win the archery tournament. Joy Pariante,
                      > Sentinel Leisure Editor"
                      >
                      > Jon
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Sher M
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 20, 2012
                        http://www.uwgb.edu/aldreteg/Linothorax.html  Then there are those done in the name of research...

                        Runa
                        > Jon. If I may ask, what possesed you to put a photo like that up,
                        > and call it a target stand? That has got to be a very irresponsible
                        > act. I know what they did, and the target should have been put on a
                        > tripod, not held in hand! I shudder to think of some child trying
                        > that stunt. Or someone else. The world is filled with goofy people as
                        > it is, we don't need to give them more ideas. Damn, this is scary!
                        > Done for now. Abner.

                      • John Edgerton
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 20, 2012
                          To really get the "point" (Pun intended) of this post, you need to look at the 8 minute video (about a third of the way in on the video) at the site.  The site has interesting information on the Greek Linothorax body armor and modern reconstruction and testing of it with sword, axe, spear and arrows.

                          And I do not care if he was my professor, I still would not stand still for that. ;-)

                          Jon

                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                              NO THANK YOU!! lol.

                              but it does bring up some interesting questions on their methods.

                              1. what kind of glue did he use? was he using something period?
                              2. what poundage bows were those? older warbows are usually(not sure on greek era) heavier than most bows mundanes use today.
                              3. How many layers total did they use, and what made them pick that amount?

                              enquiring minds want to know!!!!

                              Terrance
                              Atenveldt

                              > To really get the "point" (Pun intended) of this post, you need to look at the 8
                              > minute video (about a third of the way in on the video) at the site. The site
                              > has interesting information on the Greek Linothorax body armor and modern
                              > reconstruction and testing of it with sword, axe, spear and arrows.
                              >

                              > And I do not care if he was my professor, I still would not stand still for
                              > that. ;-)
                              >
                              > Jon
                              >

                              > ________________________________

                            • Harry Billings
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                                They tell you in the poster pdf methods.

                                plachoya
                                Ansteorra

                                  NO THANK YOU!! lol.

                                but it does bring up some interesting questions on their methods.

                                1. what kind of glue did he use? was he using something period?
                                2. what poundage bows were those? older warbows are usually(not sure on greek era) heavier than most bows mundanes use today.
                                3. How many layers total did they use, and what made them pick that amount?

                                enquiring minds want to know!!!!

                                Terrance
                                Atenveldt

                                ExternalClassecxygrp-mkpd8d8d8;font-family:Arial;padding:010pxExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpecxads10pxExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClass10px10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassff7900ExternalClassecxunderlineExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassecxdiv#ygrp-mlmsgecxygrp-msg10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClasssize:77ExternalClasssize:77ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClasstextareafont:99ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassheight:1.22emExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClassecxygrp-msgExternalClassecxygrp-msgExternalClassff7900ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClasssize:77ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass
                              • Sher M
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                                  Perhaps as a project I may try it.  It is a very interesting concept.  Would I be willing to let someone shoot me with a live arrow... uh NO.  I'm thinking hide glue although I believe I've heard of one with cheese? that is durable.

                                  Runa
                                  Apprentice to Mistress Shanahan