English longbow

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 12, 2012
    • Bernal Schooley
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 12, 2012
        Awesome read, thanks for posting the list.

        On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:05 AM, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

        An interesting article on the English longbow by Rogers, Clifford J.

        http://www.medievalists.net/2012/03/11/the-ef%EF%AC%81cacy-of-the-english-longbow-a-reply-to-kelly-devries-2/

        Jon

      • John Edgerton
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 12, 2012
          You are most welcome.  I thought that other archers would be interested in reading it as well.

          Jon

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 12, 2012
            Very interesting read! The issue of earnie 'truth' has been on my mind lately. I recently read Juliet Barker's Agincourt: the Battle that made England where she argues that a lot of the numbers were inflated for English propaganda. She believes that the standard model of 4:1 odds was in fact something more like 4:3.

            What is really like to do is perform some penetration tests at a long distance. Dougale Macalyster has done some at 20 yards with successful penetration using a 110lb bow...but I am really curious as to what results such a now might get at 70, or 100, and 150-200.

            When it gets warmer is definitely something I want to play around with!

            Aengus O'Nolan

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 12, 2012

              greetings

              please keep everyone updated , that sounds intriguing, and fun ; )
              Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
              Arthur

              Awesome read, thanks for posting the list.

              On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:05 AM, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

              No virus found in this message.
              Internal Virus Database is out of date.

            • David A. Nolan
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 12, 2012
                And my phone fails again. Please substitute 'warbow' for 'earnie.' sigh. Thanks :-)

                Aengus O'Nolan

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Mar 12, 2012, at 1:23 PM, "Ld.blackmoon" <ld.blackmoon@...> wrote:

                greetings

                please keep everyone updated , that sounds intriguing, and fun ; )
                Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .

                The issue of earnie 'truth' has been on my mind lately.

              • Mark Cipra
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 12, 2012

                  Ok, I get that it didn't recognize "warbow" ... but it substituted "earnie"? That's one for the books. Or was this a touch-typing issue?

                  Llywelyn Glyndyverdwy (Mark Cipra)

                  __