Fwd: [Announcements] Potential New Peerage Exploratory Committee

  • bluecat@neo.rr.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2012
    -------- Original Message --------
    Subject: [Announcements] Potential New Peerage Exploratory Committee
    Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 11:09:15 -0500 (EST)
    From: ea@...
    To: announcements@...

    Potential New Peerage Exploratory Committee

    Based on input from the Census results, as well as an examination of the breadth and depth of participation
    across the Known World and the unique subculture, ethos, and goals it has developed within the Society, the
    Board of Directors intends to explore the possibility of creating a new peerage to recognize as peers those
    participants who meet the general requirements for a patent of arms and who demonstrate prowess in Rapier /
    Cut and Thrust Combat.As this would potentially be the first additional peerage for the SCA in many decades,
    input and feedback from the Known World throughout the exploratory process is essential.

    The SCA’s Board of Directors is seeking individuals interested in participating in an Exploratory Committee
    focused on developing a set of options for potential implementation of a new peerage for Rapier Combat and/or
    Cut and Thrust Combat.This committee would be responsible for developing sets of recommendations for heraldry,
    regalia, corpora changes and identifying and addressing associated issues around creating and implementing
    such a peerage, and would consist of representatives of the following categories:

    ·One recognized Rapier Fencer or Rapier Fencing Official

    ·One recognized C&T Fencer or C&T Fencing Official

    ·One Fencing Laurel (recognized for Fence)

    ·One Fencing Pelican (recognized for Fence)

    ·One Fencing Knight/Master at Arms

    ·Two Heralds

    ·One Non-Fencing Pelican

    ·One Non-Fencing Laurel

    ·One Non-Fencing Knight/Master at Arms

    ·One Lady of the Rose

    ·One expert in Corpora (e.g., Seneschal)

    ·One SCA Archivist or Historian

    Please submit Letters of Intent by July 1^st , 2012 and identify to which of the above categories you are
    specifically applying. Those individuals who have expressed interest already via the Comments email address or
    the Directors email address will be considered.

    Hard copies of resumes (both professional and SCA related, including officesheld and honors) must be sent to
    the attention of The Board ofDirectors, SCA, Inc., P.O. Box 360789, Milpitas, CA 95036-0789.Electronic
    courtesy copies should also be sent to peerageexploratorycommittee@...
    <mailto:peerageexploratorycommittee@...> and resumes@....

    The exploration into a new stand-alone Peerage for Rapier / Cut and Thrust is driven not only by what the
    Board of Directors perceives to be a very high level of support across the organization, but also because it
    expresses a defined and specific culture that is unique and separate from chivalric armoured combat, other
    martial arts, and the unique and separate cultures of the Arts and Sciences and Service communities.

    The results of this Exploratory Committee, along with comments from the populace about those results, will
    then be reviewed by a much larger and more representative Review Committee.The Review Committee will be
    established later by the Board of Directors and will be comprised of representatives selected by the relevant
    groups and organizations within and across the Society (e.g., the Kingdoms, Peerages, Heralds, Seneschals,
    Grand Council, Rapier Fencing Community, and C&T Fencing Community) as a final input into the process.The
    Board will be working with those organizations to request their nominees following the formation of the
    Exploratory Committee.The Board welcomes all commentary throughout this exploratory process from the populace
    at large.Please send commentary to Comments@... <mailto:Comments@...> and include Potential New
    Peerage in the subject line.
  • Oblio of Abertwidr
    Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5, 2012
      On 06/03/2012, bluecat@... <bluecat@...> wrote:

> [...]

      Hello.

      I have just read the announcement, a few minutes ago, and it appears
      from the announcement, to be clear that no prospect exists, of any
      activity other than fencing to be included in the "fourth peerage",
      and that no peerage is intended to exist for archers.

      It seems that archers are to be still regarded as not being equals of
      other members of the SCA.

      "All animals are equal, and some are more equal than others".

      --
      Oblio the Unregistered,
      Heretic of Abertwidr

      Per fructu, non folii
    • Gryfyn de Moyon
      Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2012

        Indeed, but we can hope that the structure of the peerage is such that other martial endeavours may be added at a later time.

        Gryfyn

        Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2012
          On 06/03/2012, Gryfyn de Moyon <barongryfyn@...> wrote:
          > Indeed, but we can hope that the structure of the peerage is such that
          > other martial endeavours may be added at a later time.
          >
          > Gryfyn
          > On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Oblio of Abertwidr <
          > oblio.of.abertwidr@...> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> On 06/03/2012, bluecat@... <bluecat@...> wrote:

          Or, as has been suggested, we can speak out now, and, if enough speak
          out now, perhaps, at the same time as a proposed "fourth peerage"
          would be created, a fifth peerage, providing for archers, could be
          created also.

          --
          Oblio the Unregistered,
          Heretic of Abertwidr

          Per fructu, non folii
        • John Edgerton
          Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5, 2012
            I think that you are correct in saying that there is no indication of any intent to include any other activities in the new rapier and C/T peerage.

            However, there is no mention in the announcement, one way or the other, about any other skills and them gaining or not gaining peerage recognition in the future. So, we need to continue to encourage archery activities and make it more visible to the general populace and to the Crowns as well.

            Jon

            > Potential New Peerage Exploratory Committee

            Misc deleted

            Hello.

            I have just read the announcement, a few minutes ago, and it appears
            from the announcement, to be clear that no prospect exists, of any
            activity other than fencing to be included in the "fourth peerage",
            and that no peerage is intended to exist for archers.

            It seems that archers are to be still regarded as not being equals of
            other members of the SCA.

            "All animals are equal, and some are more equal than others".

            --
            Oblio the Unregistered,
            Heretic of Abertwidr
            of the Western Shores
            In the Kingdom of Lochac

            Per fructu, non folii

          • eldwin_nightowl
            Message 6 of 6 , Mar 5, 2012

              This sure falls short of Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf's original proposal.  Frankly, I think this version is likely to either keep much of the same people out of the peerage that have been kept out before, or set a precedent for a bunch of peerages with narrow foci.  To me this doesn't look like a solution to a decades-old problem Sir Jon's excellent proposal was intended to solve.

              Eldwin Nightowl