A wand shoot photograph

  • Oblio of Abertwidr
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4 4:28 AM
      Hello.

      A photograph of a wand shoot result performed at the Abertridwr Target
      Archery practice session of Sunday 04 March 2012, by an archer named
      Ken, is at http://lochac.sca.org/abertridwr/AbertridwrPics/WandShoot_20120304_KS_IMAG2588.jpg
      .

      The wand was a 3/4" garden stake, shot at 30 yards.

      The photograph was taken and supplied by Alianore de Essewell.

      The first three arrows of the end shot by Ken, hit the wand, and
      deflected, the fourth arrow penetrated and stayed in the wand, as
      shown.

      --
      Oblio the Unregistered,
      Heretic of Abertwidr

      Target Archery Marshal

      Per fructu, non folii
    • John Edgerton

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4 9:19 AM
            On 05/03/2012, Marie Alessi <madmender@...> wrote:
            > I believe he said 30 yards.
            >
            > Thyri
            >
            > On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:15 AM, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> What was the distance?
            >>
            >> Jon
            >>
            >> On Mar 4, 2012, at 4:28 AM, Oblio of Abertwidr wrote:

            Aye, I did.

            Interestingly, if the reply had included the whole of my original
            message, that would have been shown...

            :)

            And, the wand is/was 3/4" square (cross-section), so, it was pretty
            good shooting (or, I think so, anyway).

            --
            Oblio the Unregistered,
            Heretic of Abertwidr

            Per fructu, non folii
          • John Edgerton
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 4 9:28 AM
              He did, somehow I missed it.  My apologies.

              Jon

              On Mar 4, 2012, at 9:19 AM, Oblio of Abertwidr wrote:

              On 05/03/2012, Marie Alessi <madmender@...> wrote:
              > I believe he said 30 yards.
              >
              > Thyri
              >
              > On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:15 AM, John Edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> What was the distance?
              >>
              >> Jon
              >>
              >> On Mar 4, 2012, at 4:28 AM, Oblio of Abertwidr wrote:

              Aye, I did.

              Interestingly, if the reply had included the whole of my original
              message, that would have been shown...

              :)

              And, the wand is/was 3/4" square (cross-section), so, it was pretty
              good shooting (or, I think so, anyway).

              --
              Oblio the Unregistered,
              Heretic of Abertwidr
              of the Western Shores
              In the Kingdom of Lochac

              Per fructu, non folii

            • The Greys
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 5 5:41 AM
                I did a shoot once, inspired, I believe, by discussions here about period shoots, wherein I placed a pole at about 50 - 60 yards. Archers shot 3 shafts. The scoring was 3 , 2, 1 as measured by how far your shaft was from the pole using your own bow. i.e. 1 bow length, 3 points, 2 bow lengths, 2 points, etc. Of course the crossbowmen had conniption fits over the measuring but the longbowmen loved it!

                cog
              • Oblio of Abertwidr
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 5 11:25 AM
                  On 05/03/2012, The Greys <cogworks@...> wrote:
                  > I did a shoot once, inspired, I believe, by discussions here about period
                  > shoots, wherein I placed a pole at about 50 - 60 yards. Archers shot 3
                  > shafts. The scoring was 3 , 2, 1 as measured by how far your shaft was from
                  > the pole using your own bow. i.e. 1 bow length, 3 points, 2 bow lengths, 2
                  > points, etc. Of course the crossbowmen had conniption fits over the
                  > measuring but the longbowmen loved it!
                  >
                  > cog

                  I have read of that kind of scoring system having been used for a type
                  of shoot; scoring according to the number of bow lengths from the
                  target, but I do not remember whether it was for clout shooting, or
                  for shooting at roving marks, or another type of shoot.

                  --
                  Oblio the Unregistered,
                  Heretic of Abertwidr

                  Per fructu, non folii
                • The Greys
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 6 5:35 AM
                    Folks,
                    If I may make a suggestion. When responding to a post on this list could you PLEASE trim off all that was there previously. If you are going to respond point by point leave that on but as we read comments in a thread we know what was said before and don't need all of it posted again in each response. It simply takes way too long and is difficult to follow the comments.

                    Thanks for the consideration,
                    cog
                  • scadougal
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 7 6:40 AM
                      COG,

                      This is why I don't post on these lists.
                      I find there is just too much "noise" in the signal.

                      See ya next week?

                      -Dougale