Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: The Fourth Peerage?

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 224 , Mar 2, 2012
      Jon,

      I actually have photos of an air gun from a museum in Europe accurately dated to 1550.  They had X-ray photos and I obtained one.  The gun contains a steel coil spring driven piston in the shoulder stock.  A Quackenbush mechanism supposedly invented in the 19th century!  I have been planning to build a working copy, but just don't have the time.

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      >At 11:38 AM 3/2/2012, you wrote:

      Actually trigger releases are quite SCA period, pre 1600. They came into use at the very start of the 1500's.

      Jon

      On Mar 2, 2012, at 6:27 AM, David A. Nolan wrote:

      > "I'd love to see more recognition of 'period' equipment and gear regardless of bow type...but that's me."
      >
      > I couldn't agree more. People who shoot period bows (and crossbows) definitely get more respect from me. They're succeeding with a more difficult weapons platform. Seeing some archers out there with a modern fitted crossbow stock and trigger doesn't seem nearly as level to me as a lever action. I wonder how the score percentages between now and crossbow look if you run only period equipment numbers? Could we see that?
      >
      > Misc deleted
      >
      > Aengus O'Nolan
    • Mark Cipra
      Message 224 of 224 , Mar 9, 2012

        Well, let us agree to disagree on this issue.

        Llywelyn Glyndyverdwy (Mark Cipra)

        __