Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: The Perfect Archery Event

  • Hugh Wayne Morris
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 18, 2000
      Greetings,
      We just held a tourney with a William Tell shoot where you started with 6 arrows. You were given five points for hitting the apple and a point for every arrow still in your quiver. The maximum score could be a ten and there were a few of those. The apple was held on the styrofoam head with a large nail, some of the shots were so dead center that they actually hit the nail as the arrow passed through the apple. It makes a really distinct sound as it clipped the nail.
      Lord Loric MacLoughlain CMB

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 18, 2000
        > Greetings,
        > We just held a tourney with a William Tell shoot where you started with 6
        arrows. You were given five points for hitting the apple and a point for
        every arrow still in your quiver. The maximum score could be a ten and there
        were a few of those. The apple was held on the styrofoam head with a large
        nail, some of the shots were so dead center that they actually hit the nail
        as the arrow passed through the apple. It makes a really distinct sound as
        it clipped the nail.
        > Lord Loric MacLoughlain CMB

        Hit the ol' nail on the head, eh?

        <runs and hides>
        Simon Hondy
        just couldn't help my self
      • Michael vanBergen
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 18, 2000
          How about a heraldic shoot in either of 2 forms?

          1, have shields drawn of proper or improper heraldry ( the enemy). These
          are attached to swing gates made of pvc and pulled around into view by
          ropes along the ground. Uopu have just a fewe seconds to evaluate the
          shiled and shoot or not to shoot.

          2. have shields hidden in the brush or enough hidden behind a tree. You
          only see part of just some color. Now, do you shoot? Some are good and
          some are not.

          Michael

          On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 09:11:29 -0700 "Hugh Wayne Morris"
          <gunrunner@...> writes:
          > Greetings,
          > We just held a tourney with a William Tell shoot where you started
          > with 6 arrows. You were given five points for hitting the apple and
          > a point for every arrow still in your quiver. The maximum score
          > could be a ten and there were a few of those. The apple was held on
          > the styrofoam head with a large nail, some of the shots were so dead
          > center that they actually hit the nail as the arrow passed through
          > the apple. It makes a really distinct sound as it clipped the nail.
          > Lord Loric MacLoughlain CMB

          Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
        • Jon Larsen
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 19, 2000
            This coming Labor day weekend the Shire of Schattentor (Rapid City, SD) is hosting "Revel in the Vale", an annual event. This years autocrat is also the head of our archery house. Before anyone can feast, fence or fight at this years event they first have to "authorize" with the bow by firing at least 6 arrows with the loaner gear. People that have never held a bow get to see what it is like, folks that haven't shot in years get to renew their acquaintance with the bow. It should be fun.

            Fiskr

          • Brad Boda d'Aylward
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2000
              A neat twist to this shoot is to use ballons below the apple. The cord the
              target is hung from in front of the 20yrd target is run up through the apple
              with a 'slip knot' tied around the balloon. There is more of a visceral
              reaction from the line when someone hits the 'head'.

              Brad

              He who learns must suffer, and even in our deep pain that cannot forget
              falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will,
              comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God"
              Escalus
              Agamemnon