searching for great butts!!

  • Ld.blackmoon
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 9, 2012
      greetings

      I am trying to find great butts , to use at our local practices and events.
      ( most of the butts I had previously located are no longer available  )
      so far I have found what look to be great butts, but no replacement cores for same, and the people weren't sure if they would hold up to crossbow usage.
      I have found good butts, and replaceable cores at a decent price, but again no one seems sure if they will hold up to crossbow usage.

      ( most places seem to worry about the higher poundage of the crossbow blowing right on through the target in a short amount of usage time. )

      the biggest requirements are :
      stand up to northkeeps all day almost every weekend practices without becoming " blow through center " targets.
      or banning that having replaceable center sections to repair the blow through centers we create.

      ( if replacable center targets seller should also sell replacment centers, to make repairs easy ; )

      be able to grab and hold arrows and bolts without destroying the targets or the shafts. usually described as being " self healing " .
      be insect and weather resistant preferably if weather / insect proof isn't available.
      be worth the investment.
      ( our Saunders rolled grass mats lasted for over a year, our current foam only lasts months, would really prefer to find something that will last at least 3 years outside, with a replaceable core, since that's the part most commonly blown through )

      so , I figured with all of the accumulated experience on these lists , this would be a good place to ask for input  or leads on where to find some great butts = )

      thanx in advance

      Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
      Arthur

    • kburgess1@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 9, 2012
        you cannot lie ,   do big butts catch your eye ?

        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 9, 2012
          they do they do!!

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 9, 2012
            Can't forget the fat bottom girls

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Taslen <taslen2000@...> wrote:

            > they do they do!!
            >

            > ________________________________

          • George Bottorf
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 9, 2012
              Greetings. I just went looking for replacable center foam targets, and found several between 3' and 4' dia. both w/wo replaceable centers. Guess what folks, they are very $$! $200-$350, or so. For general shooting, why not just use haybales? They can be strapped up to tighten them. Ratchet straps work well. And they are cheap! If you are worrying about crossbows "blowing thru", use a piece  of ethene foam. It's generaly available in 2#-6# density! It is very good at stopping crossbow bolts. I carried a2'X 2 1/2' X 2" sheet just for my x-bow, if the provided butts weren't suitable. Fortunatly I am able to shoot my bows into a Saunders mat with no problem. They should be able to stop a 150' bow if they aren't shot out in the center too badly. Mount the piece of foam on butt and go for it! Ethene foam is fairly cheap. Heavy poundage x-bow shooters,(over 150'), should probably bring their own butt! A 6" thick piece of ethene foam will stop anything a shooter has. There is plenty of choices around. Have fun! YIS, Abner.
            • Taslen
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 9, 2012
                ah so that's what it takes to make you take notice Ian!

                Gaelen O'Gradaigh

                > you cannot lie ,   do big butts catch your eye ?
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Ld.blackmoon
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 9, 2012

                  greetings

                  lol, just the 36 inch ones ; )

                  Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                  Arthur
[...]

                  No virus found in this message.
                  Internal Virus Database is out of date.

                • kburgess1@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 9, 2012
                    a good source for the foam mentioned , http://www.closedcellfoams.com/polyethylene.html  , it's listed as the special.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 9, 2012

                      greetings

                      not sure what type of foam we are currently using, but were using 3  x 2 inch layers + duct tape, and it is needing reinforced, replaced due to blow through after a few months use.
                      which results in little pieces of foam blowing around the ranges, and lowered scores as people cant determine exact shot placement.

                      hay bales ( small rectangular ) are indeed cheap, but they also must be constantly cared for ( trimming new growth, removing bird and mouse / rat nests, ( not to mention removing snakes from time to time )
                      and replacing the rotted bales ) they also tend to eat crossbow bolts .( and you need to purchase new bales for every event, as well as practices ) not to mention most straps aren't uv resistant, and must be replaced regularly, even if not caught by arrows on the way by .

                      Saunders rolled grass mats look to be running in the $129.00 + s/h  range, and our experience has been that even when stored out of the weather , they last less than 2 years before developing soft spots.
                      so if a $200.00 - $400.00 foam mat will perform as new for 3 to 4 years it would actually be a good investment , as it would be cheaper in the long run. especially if you could replace the damaged part for less when it did wear out.

                      as far as the many types of rolled / layered / glued foam target butts available ,I was hoping to get some honest user response,
                      instead of the hype the sellers always use.
                      or jokes about girls , or being told to go back to hay bales ( which aren't always available ) , or being told that good targets are expensive, I already knew that part ....

                      and crossbow people have enough problems with other peoples attitudes ( no matter what their draw weight ) without being forced to bring their own targets because the hosting group has poor equipment : (
                      when prods used on combat bows are blowing through its not the bow that's the problem .

                      details , such as which works better the 2 # or the 6 #  x 6 " thick for stopping both arrows and bolts ?, which lasts longer ? did anyone have a dealer they had used with no problems in the past ? etc.
                      which works better and lasts longer , rolled ? glued ? layered ?
                      are there issues with shaft breakage in the foam targets ?
                      you know .... useful information ..... actual help .....

                      sorry if i'm too blunt or cranky, its been a long painful day  : (

                      Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                      Arthur

                        the link that i posted is the supplier that we use, also the "special" is their archery target and will stop a 150# bolt from 10 yards. the biggest issue with this foam is that it eats tips however this can be fixed by wiping the shafts with furniture polish wipes.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 9, 2012
                          Arthur
                          A non-foam butt.
                          Our household makes & uses butts made from 1' strips of
                          discard carpet, spirally rolled. Ends of strips duct
                          taped to next strip. Finished rolls can be steel
                          banded, roped or ratchet strapped. Straps can be
                          covered with duct tape to retard UV breakdown. Butts
                          best covered from rain as wet carpet is bothersome to
                          remove arrows from. Spray face of carpet butt liberally
                          with silicone drawer slide liquid.
                          Ranif

                          On 10/02/2012 1:23 PM, Ld.blackmoon wrote:
                          > as far as the many types of rolled / layered / glued
                          > foam target butts available ,I was hoping to get some
                          > honest user response,
                          > instead of the hype the sellers always use.
                          > or jokes about girls , or being told to go back to hay
                          > bales ( which aren't always available ) , or being told
                          > that good targets are expensive, I already knew that
                          > part ....

                          > are there issues with shaft breakage in the foam targets ?
                          > you know .... useful information ..... actual help .....
                          > sorry if i'm too blunt or cranky, its been a long
                          > painful day : (

                          -32.656072 149.840624
                        • cat4tuna@gmail.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 10, 2012
                            Pardon me, but what is ethene foam? I did google it and found ethylene, Eva, and a few other things.
                            If it works so well and is so cheap why doesn't everyone use it? Where do you get it? What's the difference between the 2# and 6# foam?
                            Do you have to combine it with something else in order to work so well?

                            Cat
                            Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Phone
                          • kburgess1@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 10, 2012
                              that is cool !!!  how tightly wound works best ?  shag, outdoor or indoor carpet ?

                              Our household makes & uses butts made from 1' strips of
                              discard carpet, spirally rolled. Ends of strips duct
                              taped to next strip. Finished rolls can be steel
                              banded, roped or ratchet strapped. Straps can be
                              covered with duct tape to retard UV breakdown. Butts
                              best covered from rain as wet carpet is bothersome to
                              remove arrows from. Spray face of carpet butt liberally
                              with silicone drawer slide liquid.
                              Ranif

                              On 10/02/2012 1:23 PM, Ld.blackmoon wrote:
                              > as far as the many types of rolled / layered / glued
                              > foam target butts available ,I was hoping to get some
                              > honest user response,
                              > instead of the hype the sellers always use.
                              > or jokes about girls , or being told to go back to hay
                              > bales ( which aren't always available ) , or being told
                              > that good targets are expensive, I already knew that
                              > part ....

                              > are there issues with shaft breakage in the foam targets ?
                              > you know .... useful information ..... actual help .....
                              > sorry if i'm too blunt or cranky, its been a long
                              > painful day : (

                              -32.656072 149.840624

                            • Des & Jan Howard
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 10, 2012
                                Hmmm...non-shag indoor carpet, 1/2"-3/4' pile, don't
                                use carpet with hard felt backing, tight roll without
                                busting a gut, very hard to get exact centre filled,
                                jam pack with something after roll is tightened.
                                Ranif

                                On 10/02/2012 10:11 PM, kburgess1@... wrote:
                                > that is cool !!! how tightly wound works best ? shag,
                                > outdoor or indoor carpet ?

                                > *From: *"Des & Jan Howard" <djhoward@...>
                                > Our household makes & uses butts made from 1' strips of
                                > discard carpet, spirally rolled.

                                -32.656072 149.840624
                              • chris and sher
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 10, 2012
                                  we have used 6# pe/ ethafoam  for our baronial targets  going on 5 years  3- 4 events a year , also on our practice range for 6 years, out all year  practice most weeknds.
                                  they hold up to bolts, but after a season or two ,i rotate the 20 yard foam to the 70, and so on , rotating the target backs extends the useage time dramaticaly, i can see another 5 + years ,.
                                  on the perment range they are mounted on treated 2x4s pounded into the ground 2’, with 4’ exposed tomount to., faom attached with 5 “ drywall scres and fender washers, / zip strips,
                                  the vent/ portable range id slightly diferent , furniture polish on arrows to ease removal from target , , cant fing pics and spec , will look later
                                  christopher,
                                  ps the portable range, out the door ,  2 – childrens, 2- 20, 2- 30,- 2- 40, 1- 50, 1- 60 ,1 -70  and a clout  $600.00

                                  Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2012 4:47 PM

[...]

                                  =======
                                  http://www.pctools.com
                                  =======

                                  =======
                                  http://www.pctools.com
                                  =======
                                • The Greys
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 10, 2012
                                    Arthur,
                                    Let's assume for a moment that you don't need the space on the butt for a RR target face. Burlap peanut bags, free, from you local steak house stuffed medium with plastic shopping bags, free, work very well and will stop crossbow bolts. This butt also lasts a couple of years and costs $0.

                                    I have also used the 2 inch foam insulation, pink or blue, but the issue here is the arrow is going in so fast that the foam actually melts onto the shafts and makes them increasingly more difficult to extract. However, the white styrene sheeting does not have this effect. The 2 inch stuff works but will not last that long as it gets shot out. HOWEVER, fear not, perhaps there is a solution (was for me). Your local Home Depot, Lowes Hardware or Tractor Supply that sells those trailers so popular with the lawn care guys also get styro foam blocks used to separate the trailers during shipment. If you get there when the delivery is happening the driver will often let you collect as many as you need, or will fit in your vehicle. At about 12 inches square and 2 1/2 feet tall they make a very suitable butt and will last a very long time.

                                    cog

                                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Ld.blackmoon" <ld.blackmoon@...> wrote:

                                    > greetings
                                    >
                                    > not sure what type of foam we are currently using, but were using 3 x 2 inch layers + duct tape, and it is needing reinforced, replaced due to blow through after a few months use.
                                    > which results in little pieces of foam blowing around the ranges, and lowered scores as people cant determine exact shot placement.
                                    >
                                    > hay bales ( small rectangular ) are indeed cheap, but they also must be constantly cared for ( trimming new growth, removing bird and mouse / rat nests, ( not to mention removing snakes from time to time )
                                    > and replacing the rotted bales ) they also tend to eat crossbow bolts .( and you need to purchase new bales for every event, as well as practices ) not to mention most straps aren't uv resistant, and must be replaced regularly, even if not caught by arrows on the way by .
                                    >
                                    > Saunders rolled grass mats look to be running in the $129.00 + s/h range, and our experience has been that even when stored out of the weather , they last less than 2 years before developing soft spots.
                                    > so if a $200.00 - $400.00 foam mat will perform as new for 3 to 4 years it would actually be a good investment , as it would be cheaper in the long run. especially if you could replace the damaged part for less when it did wear out.
                                    >
                                    > as far as the many types of rolled / layered / glued foam target butts available ,I was hoping to get some honest user response,
                                    > instead of the hype the sellers always use.
                                    > or jokes about girls , or being told to go back to hay bales ( which aren't always available ) , or being told that good targets are expensive, I already knew that part ....
                                    >
                                    > and crossbow people have enough problems with other peoples attitudes ( no matter what their draw weight ) without being forced to bring their own targets because the hosting group has poor equipment : (
                                    > when prods used on combat bows are blowing through its not the bow that's the problem .
                                    >
                                    > details , such as which works better the 2 # or the 6 # x 6 " thick for stopping both arrows and bolts ?, which lasts longer ? did anyone have a dealer they had used with no problems in the past ? etc.
                                    > which works better and lasts longer , rolled ? glued ? layered ?
                                    > are there issues with shaft breakage in the foam targets ?
                                    > you know .... useful information ..... actual help .....
                                    >
                                    > sorry if i'm too blunt or cranky, its been a long painful day : (
                                    >
                                    > Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                                    > Arthur

                                  • Dayrl Merrill
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 10, 2012
                                      I am setup to purchase wholesale from Saunders  I also am setup with http://www.archerytargets.com/  which has several options including replaceable core targets.
                                      As a member of the SCA I generally pass on my savings to groups and take less profit than suggested retail but enough to cover shipping costs.  I can have either drop ship to you and not have 2 shipping costs to cover.

                                      If interested contact me directly for for pricing.  It has been a while so I will need to double check current prices.

                                      Rask Ulfbjorn,
                                      Viking Archery Supply,

                                      Dayrl Merrill

> [...]

                                      > and crossbow people have enough problems with other peoples attitudes ( no matter what their draw weight ) without being forced to bring their own targets because the hosting group has poor equipment : (
                                      > when prods used on combat bows are blowing through its not the bow that's the problem .
                                      >
                                      > details , such as which works better the 2 # or the 6 # x 6 " thick for stopping both arrows and bolts ?, which lasts longer ? did anyone have a dealer they had used with no problems in the past ? etc.
                                      > which works better and lasts longer , rolled ? glued ? layered ?
                                      > are there issues with shaft breakage in the foam targets ?
                                      > you know .... useful information ..... actual help .....
                                      >
                                      > sorry if i'm too blunt or cranky, its been a long painful day : (

                                    • James Koch
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 10, 2012
                                        Ranif,

                                        Have you tried simply stacking strips of carpet and plastic banding the lot?  I have seen stacks of old newspapers used as a butt.  The top few layers will not stop an arrow, but the weight of the top layers is enough to compress the center and lower layers enough to stop an arrow.  This is for indoor use only.  My guess is carpet ought to work the same way.  With banding though the top layers ought to also stop arrows.

                                        Jim Koch "Gladius"

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 10, 2012

                                          greetings

                                           thank you .

                                          Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                                          Arthur

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 10, 2012

                                            greetings

                                            is there rubber backing on the carpet you use ?
                                            and does that transfer to the shafts ?

                                            thanks ; )

                                            Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                                            Arthur

                                            Our household makes & uses butts made from 1' strips of
                                            discard carpet, spirally rolled. Ends of strips duct
                                            taped to next strip. Finished rolls can be steel
                                            banded, roped or ratchet strapped. Straps can be
                                            covered with duct tape to retard UV breakdown. Butts
                                            best covered from rain as wet carpet is bothersome to
                                            remove arrows from. Spray face of carpet butt liberally
                                            with silicone drawer slide liquid.
                                            Ranif

                                            On 10/02/2012 1:23 PM, Ld.blackmoon wrote:
                                            > as far as the many types of rolled / layered / glued
                                            > foam target butts available ,I was hoping to get some
                                            > honest user response,
                                            > instead of the hype the sellers always use.
                                            > or jokes about girls , or being told to go back to hay
                                            > bales ( which aren't always available ) , or being told
                                            > that good targets are expensive, I already knew that
                                            > part ....

                                            > are there issues with shaft breakage in the foam targets ?
                                            > you know .... useful information ..... actual help .....
                                            > sorry if i'm too blunt or cranky, its been a long
                                            > painful day : (

                                            -32.656072 149.840624

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 10, 2012

                                              greetings

                                              thank you ,  that helps a lot !!

                                              Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                                              Arthur

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 10, 2012
                                                greetings

                                                thank you , unfortunately we do need the full rr / ikac targets to fit the new butts.
                                                ( as we try to turn in scores for all the competitions ( ikac,rr, ikcac ) even though we haven't gotten to try the winter shoots yet, it has been discussed. )
                                                we do already have a couple bag targets with pvc take down frames for specialty / children's shoots .
                                                and I would love to be able to cover the new butts in burlap, as it would help disguise the mundanity issues ; )
                                                yep, have used the pink / blue stuff with the same results. but I also got those results putting the rubber backed ( indoor outdoor ) carpet over the front of a shot out Saunders mat.
                                                the only problem I have run into using the Styrofoam as a butt is that any arrow part that comes out the back tends to blow Styrofoam bits out with it.
                                                ( which I then have to pick up and dispose of )

                                                but thank you for putting the info out for others to see, as I'm sure there others also in need of this info ; )

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 10, 2012
                                                  greetings

                                                  thank you = )

                                                  Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
                                                  Arthur

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 10, 2012
                                                    Arthur
                                                    I wouldn't use carpet with rubber or hard felt backing.
                                                    Not because of material transfer, but because shafts
                                                    are hard to remove.
                                                    Ranif

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Feb 10, 2012
                                                      Gladius
                                                      It would be worth a try. Maybe make a light wooden
                                                      frame to stack strips in, attach wheels & handles to
                                                      make a mobile butt.
                                                      In kiln building I've made a hefty wooden frame in
                                                      which to stack 3" sliced ceramic fibre strips,
                                                      installed a floor hydraulic trolley in the frame,
                                                      included strapping across face of strips, compressed
                                                      the strips, fastened the strapping, eased the
                                                      compression. Resulting in blocks made from strips
                                                      evenly compressed.
                                                      For archery purposes do same with 9"-1' carpet strip,
                                                      install in butt frame, cut strapping.
                                                      Ranif