Re: Simple but fun shoots

  • logantheboweyder
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 6 7:03 AM
      6"X6"X6" foam block (wrapped in brown paper, if you wish, for appearance's sake) stuck on a stick in the ground, so it is a few feet up off the ground, but sufficiently in front of a backstop.

      Elimination tournament. 2 archers, "ready, set, draw", and first one to hit the target continues on in the tournament.

      It probably is wise to have several blocks made, in case the first one gets too badly damaged during the tournament.

      You can even have 3 targets, and the first archer to hit 2 continues on in the tournament.

      Logan

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "mike" <mike_94088@...> wrote:

      > I need to come up with some shoots this year and while I have done this in the past I am looking for some other ideas for possible period simple but creative and fun shoots.
      > If you have any please let me know and I will try to incorporate them later in the year when I organize the shoots.
      >
      > Master Michael of Worcester, Baronial Champion, Archery Champion of Sundragon.

    • The Greys
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 7 6:06 AM
        Here's a variation on Logan's suggestion. Same set up but the objective is to "nick" the target. That is a hit or total miss does not count. All that counts is moving the target without actually sticking it. This is actually much harder than it sounds.

        A slight variation on that variation is to make cubes. I use foam shipping boxes that are about 10 inches square stuffed with plastic bags then taped shut. Toss them out at say 15 yards. The object is to put a shaft in each side of the target/cube. Multiple hits on one side do not count. Maximum score would be 6. You could limit the archers to 8 shafts. Obviously the cubes will move after each hit, but that's the challenge/fun!

        cog

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "logantheboweyder" <logantheboweyder@...> wrote:

        > 6"X6"X6" foam block (wrapped in brown paper, if you wish, for appearance's sake) stuck on a stick in the ground, so it is a few feet up off the ground, but sufficiently in front of a backstop.
        >
        > Elimination tournament. 2 archers, "ready, set, draw", and first one to hit the target continues on in the tournament.
        >
        > It probably is wise to have several blocks made, in case the first one gets too badly damaged during the tournament.
        >
        > You can even have 3 targets, and the first archer to hit 2 continues on in the tournament.
        >
        > Logan
        >
        > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "mike" <mike_94088@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I need to come up with some shoots this year and while I have done this in the past I am looking for some other ideas for possible period simple but creative and fun shoots.
        > > If you have any please let me know and I will try to incorporate them later in the year when I organize the shoots.
        > >
        > > Master Michael of Worcester, Baronial Champion, Archery Champion of Sundragon.

      • J C Ronsen
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 7 6:15 AM
          I ran a Kingdom Champions shoot a number of years ago using a block of broadhead-target foam hanging from a rope. I used a square-ish block with a hole drilled through it with a rope running through it with a loop at one end. The block was hung from a horizontal rope infront of an archery net. 1 point for the hitting the front or back of the block (the largest sides), 2 points for the sides and 3 for the top and bottom sides. It was a 45 second times shoot with two archers going head to head. The first shot was easy, but once the target was hit, it swung and spun everywhere.

          I actually made two of these targets so that a clean one could be hung while the archers pulled their arrows and bolts out of the other one.

          Caleb Reynolds
          Scarlet Guard of AEthelmearc
        • ronan morton
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 8 7:00 AM
            I set up a shoot once to determine the Kingdom champion where I tried to simulate battlefield conditions.  I placed a target on the archery field at a random distance.  Practice, warm ups, and checking the distance was not allowed.  The archers had to carry their arrows on their person, and the shoot was whatever you could get off in a 1 minute speed round.  As an extra, the crowd could yell, heckle the archer, bang pans, or have heavy fighters practice behind them while shooting to simulate the sounds of war.  It was a great bit of fun and Her Majesty had the best time taunting the archers.

            THL Ronan MacMorton, DEMLW Meridies

            An archer is never outnumbered, he just has a lot of targets.