Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Simple but fun shoots

  • Dawn Ratz
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2012

      Maybe try an unmounted yabusame? Traditionally this is ran at a gallop on horseback~ (I am practing that this year) where spaced balsa wood targets are hit and shattered as you ride by, or are thrown up into the air to be hit and shattered by an foot assistant. Youtube has many videos on this form of archery.
      Maybe have the archers run on foot to introduce this style? ~ I would love to get a mounted team eventualy.

      Gio

      On Feb 1, 2012 8:32 AM, "The Greys" <cogworks@...> wrote:

      Here's two that most archers have a great time with.

      Water bag shoot - Make a T with a string that runs between the two arms of the T with some length hanging down. On the end of each attach a plastic bag (comments below about plastic). Each bag is filled with water. Archers shoot bags. First archer to empty their bag wins. The plastic bags could be called animal bladders or you could cover them with burlap.

      Frame drop - This shot requires two archers. The target is a cardboard frame about 1 inch thick with an interior space of about 12 inches. The frame hangs from a balloon by a string. The balloon is sitting on a wire loop with the string passing out the bottom. All this at the top of a back stop. The first archer must pop the balloon allowing the frame to drop. The second archer must then shoot an arrow into the frame, not hitting the frame itself, to prevent the frame from hitting the ground. It is best to have a line drawn on the backstop to indicate the frame must drop below that line before being arrested to indicate the frame was in actual free fall when hit. They used this idea at the Grand Exhibition Tournament at Gulf Wars a few years back and I understand (I was unable to attend that Gulf Wars) the archers had "comments" about it but it was only the Trimarian archers who were able to actually accomplish the task.

      cog

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "mike" <mike_94088@...> wrote:

      > I need to come up with some...

    • The Greys
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2012
        For targets that shatter one issue is the after shoot clean up. HOWEVER, if you use rice cakes, available in the grocery stores, or make some "cookies" out of flour and water you can leave them for the critters to eat.

        cog

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Dawn Ratz <dawn.ratz@...> wrote:

        > Maybe try an unmounted yabusame? Traditionally this is ran at a gallop on
        > horseback~ (I am practing that this year) where spaced balsa wood targets
        > are hit and shattered as you ride by, or are thrown up into the air to be
        > hit and shattered by an foot assistant. Youtube has many videos on this
        > form of archery.
        > Maybe have the archers run on foot to introduce this style? ~ I would love
        > to get a mounted team eventualy.
        >
        > Gio
        >
        > On Feb 1, 2012 8:32 AM, "The Greys" <cogworks@...> wrote:
        >
        > **
        >

        > Here's two that most archers have a great time with.
        >
        > Water bag shoot - Make a T with a string that runs between the two arms of
        > the T with some length hanging down. On the end of each attach a plastic
        > bag (comments below about plastic). Each bag is filled with water. Archers
        > shoot bags. First archer to empty their bag wins. The plastic bags could be
        > called animal bladders or you could cover them with burlap.
        >
        > Frame drop - This shot requires two archers. The target is a cardboard
        > frame about 1 inch thick with an interior space of about 12 inches. The
        > frame hangs from a balloon by a string. The balloon is sitting on a wire
        > loop with the string passing out the bottom. All this at the top of a back
        > stop. The first archer must pop the balloon allowing the frame to drop. The
        > second archer must then shoot an arrow into the frame, not hitting the
        > frame itself, to prevent the frame from hitting the ground. It is best to
        > have a line drawn on the backstop to indicate the frame must drop below
        > that line before being arrested to indicate the frame was in actual free
        > fall when hit. They used this idea at the Grand Exhibition Tournament at
        > Gulf Wars a few years back and I understand (I was unable to attend that
        > Gulf Wars) the archers had "comments" about it but it was only the
        > Trimarian archers who were able to actually accomplish the task.
        >
        > cog
        >

        > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "mike" <mike_94088@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I need to come up with some...

      • Dawn Ratz
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2012

          I like the edible targets~ we used matzo crackers in Trimaris for targets. We had very happy birds.

          They are also much cheaper to reset then the balsa wood. ~ I had forgotten about that.

          YIS,
          Gio

          On Feb 2, 2012 10:58 AM, "The Greys" <cogworks@...> wrote:

          For targets that shatter one issue is the after shoot clean up. HOWEVER, if you use rice cakes, available in the grocery stores, or make some "cookies" out of flour and water you can leave them for the critters to eat.

          cog

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Dawn Ratz <dawn.ratz@...> wrote:

          > Maybe try an unmounted ya...

          > On Feb 1, 2012 8:32 AM, "The Greys" <cogworks@...> wrote:
          >
          > **

          > Here's two that most archers have a great time with.
          >
          > Water bag shoot - Make a T with a...

          > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "mike" <mike_94088@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I need to come up with som...

        • logantheboweyder
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 6, 2012
            6"X6"X6" foam block (wrapped in brown paper, if you wish, for appearance's sake) stuck on a stick in the ground, so it is a few feet up off the ground, but sufficiently in front of a backstop.

            Elimination tournament. 2 archers, "ready, set, draw", and first one to hit the target continues on in the tournament.

            It probably is wise to have several blocks made, in case the first one gets too badly damaged during the tournament.

            You can even have 3 targets, and the first archer to hit 2 continues on in the tournament.

            Logan

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "mike" <mike_94088@...> wrote:

            > I need to come up with some shoots this year and while I have done this in the past I am looking for some other ideas for possible period simple but creative and fun shoots.
            > If you have any please let me know and I will try to incorporate them later in the year when I organize the shoots.
            >
            > Master Michael of Worcester, Baronial Champion, Archery Champion of Sundragon.

          • The Greys
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 7, 2012
              Here's a variation on Logan's suggestion. Same set up but the objective is to "nick" the target. That is a hit or total miss does not count. All that counts is moving the target without actually sticking it. This is actually much harder than it sounds.

              A slight variation on that variation is to make cubes. I use foam shipping boxes that are about 10 inches square stuffed with plastic bags then taped shut. Toss them out at say 15 yards. The object is to put a shaft in each side of the target/cube. Multiple hits on one side do not count. Maximum score would be 6. You could limit the archers to 8 shafts. Obviously the cubes will move after each hit, but that's the challenge/fun!

              cog

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "logantheboweyder" <logantheboweyder@...> wrote:

              > 6"X6"X6" foam block (wrapped in brown paper, if you wish, for appearance's sake) stuck on a stick in the ground, so it is a few feet up off the ground, but sufficiently in front of a backstop.
              >
              > Elimination tournament. 2 archers, "ready, set, draw", and first one to hit the target continues on in the tournament.
              >
              > It probably is wise to have several blocks made, in case the first one gets too badly damaged during the tournament.
              >
              > You can even have 3 targets, and the first archer to hit 2 continues on in the tournament.
              >
              > Logan
              >
              > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "mike" <mike_94088@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I need to come up with some shoots this year and while I have done this in the past I am looking for some other ideas for possible period simple but creative and fun shoots.
              > > If you have any please let me know and I will try to incorporate them later in the year when I organize the shoots.
              > >
              > > Master Michael of Worcester, Baronial Champion, Archery Champion of Sundragon.

            • J C Ronsen
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 7, 2012
                I ran a Kingdom Champions shoot a number of years ago using a block of broadhead-target foam hanging from a rope. I used a square-ish block with a hole drilled through it with a rope running through it with a loop at one end. The block was hung from a horizontal rope infront of an archery net. 1 point for the hitting the front or back of the block (the largest sides), 2 points for the sides and 3 for the top and bottom sides. It was a 45 second times shoot with two archers going head to head. The first shot was easy, but once the target was hit, it swung and spun everywhere.

                I actually made two of these targets so that a clean one could be hung while the archers pulled their arrows and bolts out of the other one.

                Caleb Reynolds
                Scarlet Guard of AEthelmearc
              • ronan morton
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 8, 2012
                  I set up a shoot once to determine the Kingdom champion where I tried to simulate battlefield conditions.  I placed a target on the archery field at a random distance.  Practice, warm ups, and checking the distance was not allowed.  The archers had to carry their arrows on their person, and the shoot was whatever you could get off in a 1 minute speed round.  As an extra, the crowd could yell, heckle the archer, bang pans, or have heavy fighters practice behind them while shooting to simulate the sounds of war.  It was a great bit of fun and Her Majesty had the best time taunting the archers.

                  THL Ronan MacMorton, DEMLW Meridies

                  An archer is never outnumbered, he just has a lot of targets.