Re: rapid shooting video

  • okami49
    Message 1 of 53 , Jan 25, 2012
      Agreed on all accounts. I always try to relate things to their place on the historical battlefield. I think these videos are great, but there are three things that put me off immediately. The pinch draw, the use of very light weight bows, and shooting targets at 10 yards.

      Variations of pinch draws are great for super fast shooting as they allow the archer to grab an arrow, nock, and draw without changing the hand position much. The issue with this draw is that it doesn't allow the archer to have as solid a hold on the string as some of the other methods (three finger, thumb ring). Try this draw out on a light bow then switch to a hunting bow and you will see what I mean. Now imagine trying it on a war weight bow.

      In the doublet video:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_VUW6_SpmQ

      From the same group I think, the guy in the foreground with no shirt (I guess a shirt slows you down) is shooting a 40# bow but he is barely getting to 1/2 normal draw length (btw, look at the comments and you can see the poster claim he is going to full draw but going so fast you can't see it, fascinating). Very little power to the shot and low accuracy at very short range

      If the battlefield were a professional basketball game these guys would be the Harlem Globetrotters. It looks super cool, but a lot of the practicality gets lost to achieve it.

      -Eógan
      Archery Captain, Shire of Mynydd Seren
      http://www.wix.com/rangersofmynyddseren/archery

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Egil" <eagleclaws_skyrider@...> wrote:

      > The same here, I am always interested in new quiver designs.
      >
      > As for the videos, a couple points of note that were not discussed earlier.
      > 1) She uses very small fletchings, almost no feathers at all, they also looked like the plastic type, I could be wrong but what it looked like.
      >
      > 2) Her accuracy, which was mentioned was way off given she was shooting what looked like 10 yards and was all over the place. SO the question must be asked, are 6-8 well placed (4-5) scoring arrows better than 12 (2-3) scoring arrows??
      >
      > 3) Her quiver has what appears to be a roll between it and her back, is this a "period" item, in other words within the SCA would it be a period look??
      >
      > 4) Her release, I draw and hand position. I tried it statically, drawing and setting the arrow, it does appear to be easier, however if you notice, she does not have a full draw, the same thing was noticed in the video with the young man and woman in it. Both had a reduced draw. So with the assumption of shooting at 10 yards that would be fine, however at 20-30-40 yard speed rounds that would become an issue on distance.
      >
      > Just some observations, I look forward to more discussions on this as we all try and get more arrows down range and on target.
      >

      > thanks for the video,
      >
      > Egil
      >

      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Taslen <taslen2000@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Aye, same here let us test it for you!
      > >
      > > Gaelen
      > > Who desperately needs a new quiver

    • John Edgerton
      Message 53 of 53 , Jan 29, 2012
        That is how I envisioned it from your description.

        Thanks

        Jon

        On Jan 29, 2012, at 10:25 PM, James Koch wrote:

        Jon,

        I have posted 4 photos of the quiver.  You can see them at the bottom of my crossbow page at http://www.alcheminc.com/crossbow.html

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"