Re: [SCA-Archery] xbow string slipping

  • George Bottorf
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 22, 2012
      Greetings Jon. A few questions first. What is the span of the prod? What is the draw length of the prod? What is it mounted on? A picture of the xbow might be helpful. How is prod mounted to stock? Tied on or irons,etc.? Where did you obtain the prod? What is the string made from and number of strands. Is this the xbow you made a couple of years ago? Pictures in SCA-West files? What is pro made out of? Laminated wood/glass skin, or solid f/glass? I have a few possible fixes in mind, but need more info. Please to let me know if you will. YIS, Abner.
    • kolrbogsveigir
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 23, 2012
        Try increasing the brace height. A longbow will do the same thing if you get the brace height too low.

        Kolr
      • John Edgerton
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 23, 2012
          My thanks to all those that replied to my request for help.

          When I sent my request to this list, I also emailed Elk Ridge Archery.  I had an very fast response from the owner, who explained what I needed to do and said to call him if I needed further explanation.  I did call and he was most helpful.

          What needed to be done was was to lightly file out, with a small round file, the top grove of the string nock in the horn overlay.  Sometimes the finish he paints on the nocks can fill in the grove a bit, so it just needs to be filed out.  When I looked and compared both nock groves, I could see the slight difference between them.  This allowed the string to roll over the edge of the grove and slide up the prod.

          He said that if I had a problem doing this, just to mail him the prod and he would fix it for me.  I am very pleased with the quick response and service that he provides.

          He makes handsome laminated prods, mine has birds-eye maple (you have your choice of woods) on both sides and throws my heavy bolts down range at about 220 fps. My prod is not set up for its full 10 inch draw, it is only 8.5 inches.  So it is not drawing its full 147 pounds.

          When the string came off in the IKAC, I had just put five bolts in a three inch circle, even with my fading olde eyesight.

          Jon, West

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 23, 2012
            elkridge, are great people , they have donated  items to our shire ,numerus  times for childrens tournys, very nice and generus.
            christopher

            --
[...]

            =======
            http://www.pctools.com
            =======

            =======
            http://www.pctools.com
            =======
          • James Koch
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 23, 2012
              Check the diameter of the nock serving relative to the nocks.  If you have re-served it, the diameter will likely have increased.  Usually though decreasing the size of the loops helps.  I'd string and draw it slowly to see what the nock ends do as you approach full draw.

              Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"