Re: Draw Weights?

  • Laura
    Message 1 of 67 , Jan 1, 2012
      Greetings!
      We heard about this discussion on the Atlantian Horse & hound list. My background is an Archery MIT and a regional Equestrian marshal in Atlantia. I have leaned on my husbands knowledge of archery and safety as he was a marshal in the Mid before we moved to Atlantia.
      I am very interested in seeing mounted archery go forward safely. we have been practicing with my husbands gelding for a couple of years now (we need a lane for him to go straight tho). Due to Mac(TB gelding) being so easy to work with we can work on our archery with a lane. My husband uses a recurve and I use a horse bow with no shelf. I am interested in learning different set-ups for targets as well as how to train out horse to go straight without a physical barrier. My new mare is just getting used to the games patterns and is ok with me holding a stick in my hand, we work at it slowly....
      I am not sure of including flying object & horses (like the war scenarios) I see too many opportunities for things to go horribly wrong. Another issue that goes hand in hand is space, we aren't able to get enough room at events for the space we need for our animals, keeping enough of a safety area for animals & a war scenario I don't see happening here in our area.
      We have practiced that if any equipment in our hand is a problem or the horse needs more attention, the equipment gets discharged safely and we deal with the animal.
      Thanks for this discussion!
      YIS,
      Alienor
    • Taslen
      Message 67 of 67 , Jan 3, 2012
        ty I just had to ask my daughter the horsey person in the family

        From: Taslen <taslen2000@...>
        To: "SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com" <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Saturday, December 31, 2011, 6:22 AM

        For those of us who don't know what is the "poll"? And it does seem like a unlikely occurance. Als can't the "poll" be protected? Sorry just woke up.

        Gaelen