Period Target

  • i_griffen
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 18, 2011
      Good day Archers

      I just uploaded a pic of a period target face. Does any one know how this target should be scored? I lost my notes and haven't used this target in many years.

      Ian griffen the archer
    • Craig Holder
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 18, 2011
        8,4,2,... And 4 for bounces and unidentified pass throughs
        In An Tir anyways
        :)
        Balinor

        Sent from my iPhone

        On 2011-12-18, at 9:21 AM, "i_griffen" <i_griffen@...> wrote:

        Good day Archers

        I just uploaded a pic of a period target face. Does any one know how this target should be scored? I lost my notes and haven't used this target in many years.

        Ian griffen the archer

      • James of Odo
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
          Thanks. Looks good. Sorry you lost your notes. What do you remember about it?

          JoO

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "i_griffen" <i_griffen@...> wrote:

          > Good day Archers
          >

          > I just uploaded a pic of a period target face. Does any one know how this target should be scored? I lost my notes and haven't used this target in many years.
          >

          > Ian griffen the archer

        • i_griffen
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
            I only have one of these targets on paper and from that one we made a couple on fabric. The one in the Pic is one of the fabric ones.

            I wanted to find out how it might have been scored in period.

            thanks

            Iain Griffen the archer
            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "James of Odo" <pickette@...> wrote:

            > Thanks. Looks good. Sorry you lost your notes. What do you remember about it?
            >
            > JoO
            >

            > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "i_griffen" <i_griffen@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Good day Archers
            > >

            > > I just uploaded a pic of a period target face. Does any one know how this target should be scored? I lost my notes and haven't used this target in many years.
            > >

            > > Ian griffen the archer

          • John Edgerton
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
              One of the most likely ways it would have been scored in period would have been one point for hitting the black circle.  The outer white area would not count as any points nor would the inner white count for extra points.  Sometimes the archer hitting the closest to the center would get one point and the other archers would get no points for that end. It is possible that the inner white, which could represent the peg  or pin that held the target face to its backstop could count for more points.  There is at least one example of a drawing of a late 16th century target face with multiple rings that could have been used for different scoring values.

              For more information see: "European Medieval and Renaissance Archery Contests and Targets"   at:www.zateev.net/ontarget/download/Sir%20Jon%20article.pdf

              Jon

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
                For some reason, known only to Yahoo, the address was not included in the post. The paper can be found at several sites, including:

                www.modaruniversity.org/Archery8.doc

                Jon

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 20, 2011
                  Greetings to All. I've been following this Period target stuff for a while now. I have come across some woodcuts of bowmen and crossbowmen shooting at birds! One was of an archer shooting what seems to be a rooster on a perch. One was a crossbowman shooting a  bird sitting in a small tree about chest high? The one above also shows about the same height off the ground. The third picture is a scene of crossbowmen shooting at a large round butt in front of a long building. There is a man standing next to the butt,REAL close, obviously scoring the shots. There are 3 shafts in a round target. No design is visible on the target. These pics were found on Wikipedia. If someone were to put a drawing of a rooster on a 60 cm circle, I'm sure it would do the job! It would difinately be unusual. Remember the wreath shoot? A picture of a wild non-endangered wreath, 1/8" black line inside of circle for scoring in/out. In good-out not. Maybe small center ring, gold?, just for fun? Wreath could be done on 60cm. face, scoring 2-4-8, as on normal trad scoring? Wreath itself-2 pts, inside circle-4 pts, and an 8 point center. If it was done in black and white, I think it would look good. If it was in color, green wreath, white inner circle, and a red inner circle. Or maybe gold? Red apple?  Of course this are only my ideas. The pictures of the shooters are there for all to see. I designed a period target face, 60 cms, around a double headed eagle. It looks good. I believe there is a copy at Jos. de la Tours house. If he would care to send a copy of it on to Sir Jon, I would be pleased. Maybe it will be of interest. Thank you All. YIS, Abner de Plunkett. Archer and Crossbowman. West Kingdom.
                • John Edgerton
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 21, 2011
                    Abner

                    I have seen  your double headed eagle target, it is quite good.  I would like to see the eagle colored in that would be most attractive.

                    I believe that the drawings you mentioned can also be seen in my paper on Medieval and Renaissance archery targets and contests in the files section of this group.

[...]
                  • Joe LaTorre
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 21, 2011
                      For those interested in seeing what we're talking about, I've uploaded a photo of Abner's target to Yahoo groups (file name "Double headed eagle target"):

                      Joseph de la Tour, West KIngdom