Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Arrow question

  • ronhockett8@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 5, 2011
      No. I use whatever range that is available at the time. This range is in Balboa Park.
      Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

      From: brett wilson <locm66801@...>
      Sender: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 10:18:37 -0800 (PST)
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com<SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Arrow question

      SCA members using carbon arrows?!

      LoCM

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 5, 2011
      Sorry to confuse anyone. I was using a private range in San Diego that is open to the public (it has to be open to public because it is on the park grounds) in Balboa Park, San Diego. They were not SCA, both were shooting #50 recurves. Both changed to carbon after having cedar shatter on impact of the target butt. I was shooting a #52 long bow @ 28", 11/32 cedar shafts. I make my own arrows and got the shafts from 3 Rivers, I haven't had any trouble with them before or since. But now I shoot the sitka spruce.

      From: brett wilson <locm66801@...>
      Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 10:18:37 -0800 (PST)

      Message 3 of 14 , Dec 6, 2011
        "I have started using Sitka Spruce for their durability.<snipped>In
        San Diego I shot into wet cedar compressed targets at the achery range
        and some of the shafts shattered (5 out of 12), the shafts were less
        than a year old with no other issues. Not so with the sitka spruce. I
        ask a couple of the members there if they had issues and they replied
        they had and they had switched to carbon."

        ****
        Salutations!

        How is sitka durable? Did you shoot compressed cedar shafts? And which
        ones shattered? Did the arrows (less than a year old) suffer
        temperature changes, get straightened and checked regularly, or get
        shot frequently? I'm also confused about the 'members switched to
        carbon' comment. I find that carbon shoots differently from wood and
        that if I practice with arrows that I can't compete with, I have to
        'get used to' my SCA shafts again. Which defeats the purpose of me
        practicing as I am tired of unlearning bad habits of coping with
        crappy shafts.

        At the beginning of this year, I started shooting with Sitka Spruce
        arrows. Combined with my acquisition of a wonderful and old recurve
        (Ventura), I have attained a royal round average of 90 in the Kingdom
        of AnTir in the open category for 2011. I shot a 35 for 2010. I did
        enjoy shooting sitka as they are light and fly superbly off of a 30#
        bow. Unfortunately, I've shot the spine weight out of 3 dozen sitka
        spruce arrows this year. I would shoot well, then peak, and then my
        accuracy would decline past the month or two of shooting well.

        I kept making excuses for my decline, then buy another dozen shafts
        only to repeat the process. It was only last month when I had my most
        recent set spine weight tested. They had lost about 10# of spine
        weight. I had 6 arrows when I was to start participating in the Winter
        Challenge, when one arrow became suddenly soft behind the point. The
        rest of the (dozen) arrows had either split through the nock or
        shattered or were 'robin hooded'. Between that and the issue with
        brass points, I have since decided to not go with Sitka again. Also,
        brass does not like to stick to wood. In fact, during the defender
        tourney I won, I spent a good deal of time in between ends reglueing
        points back onto my arrows as the targets kept 'eating' them.

        I shot between 2-5 times a week for 20 min to 3 hours this year. This
        does not seem like an extreme amount of practice to me. I would also
        have some rest periods when my health would not be well. I also tried
        switching to a different recurve. This was a mystery that I needed to
        solve. I noticed that my arcuarius brother has been shooting the same
        8-12 arrows all year with no issues. He uses old growth/high altitude
        port orford cedar (from David). Then I found that Master David
        McDougalls, while not in the SCA, is selling arrows from his 'old
        Rivendell stock'. After a few weeks of not shooting during November, I
        shot the arrows David made for me and didn't exceed my 'best scores at
        20 yds' but I did get a beer shot and the arrows clustered fairly
        well. We have some more tuning to do to my bow, but I expect that I
        shall not have equipment issues anytime soon like I have with the
        Sitka Spruce arrows this year.

        --
        YIS,
        Signora Caterina Fortuna
        Message 4 of 14 , Dec 7, 2011
          Since I make arrows a have a spline tester, and check them often. I
          live in the Seattle area and flew to San Diego for work and shot
          there. The arrows were in my bow case in luggage. I have spoken to
          several long time bowyers and arrowsmiths and they said that the cedar
          bales were most likely the reason. The arrows were made for the bow
          and had been shot only couple months prior even though they were made
          a year before (I have several hundred arrows made up for my bows, I
          have 8). I have been using the sitka spruce arrows since and had no
          issues, in fact I am back in San Diego and have my bow with me and
          will be shooting this week. No, I have not noticed any change in the
          spline of the spruce (and I do check).