Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Arrow question

  • Bill Tait
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 5, 2011
      On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 10:18 AM, brett wilson <locm66801@...> wrote:

      SCA members using carbon arrows?!

      LoCM

      Umm, Nowhere did he say they were sca archers. See, he _travels for work_ ...

      AND

      Using carbon arrows for training is not against the rules. Only at events and for scoring purposes.

      William Arwemakere
    • ronhockett8@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 5, 2011
        No. I use whatever range that is available at the time. This range is in Balboa Park.
        Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

        From: brett wilson <locm66801@...>
        Sender: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 10:18:37 -0800 (PST)
        To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com<SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Arrow question

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 5, 2011
        Sorry to confuse anyone. I was using a private range in San Diego that is open to the public (it has to be open to public because it is on the park grounds) in Balboa Park, San Diego. They were not SCA, both were shooting #50 recurves. Both changed to carbon after having cedar shatter on impact of the target butt. I was shooting a #52 long bow @ 28", 11/32 cedar shafts. I make my own arrows and got the shafts from 3 Rivers, I haven't had any trouble with them before or since. But now I shoot the sitka spruce.

        From: brett wilson <locm66801@...>
        Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 10:18:37 -0800 (PST)

        Message 4 of 14 , Dec 6, 2011
          "I have started using Sitka Spruce for their durability.<snipped>In
          San Diego I shot into wet cedar compressed targets at the achery range
          and some of the shafts shattered (5 out of 12), the shafts were less
          than a year old with no other issues. Not so with the sitka spruce. I
          ask a couple of the members there if they had issues and they replied
          they had and they had switched to carbon."

          ****
          Salutations!

          How is sitka durable? Did you shoot compressed cedar shafts? And which
          ones shattered? Did the arrows (less than a year old) suffer
          temperature changes, get straightened and checked regularly, or get
          shot frequently? I'm also confused about the 'members switched to
          carbon' comment. I find that carbon shoots differently from wood and
          that if I practice with arrows that I can't compete with, I have to
          'get used to' my SCA shafts again. Which defeats the purpose of me
          practicing as I am tired of unlearning bad habits of coping with
          crappy shafts.

          At the beginning of this year, I started shooting with Sitka Spruce
          arrows. Combined with my acquisition of a wonderful and old recurve
          (Ventura), I have attained a royal round average of 90 in the Kingdom
          of AnTir in the open category for 2011. I shot a 35 for 2010. I did
          enjoy shooting sitka as they are light and fly superbly off of a 30#
          bow. Unfortunately, I've shot the spine weight out of 3 dozen sitka
          spruce arrows this year. I would shoot well, then peak, and then my
          accuracy would decline past the month or two of shooting well.

          I kept making excuses for my decline, then buy another dozen shafts
          only to repeat the process. It was only last month when I had my most
          recent set spine weight tested. They had lost about 10# of spine
          weight. I had 6 arrows when I was to start participating in the Winter
          Challenge, when one arrow became suddenly soft behind the point. The
          rest of the (dozen) arrows had either split through the nock or
          shattered or were 'robin hooded'. Between that and the issue with
          brass points, I have since decided to not go with Sitka again. Also,
          brass does not like to stick to wood. In fact, during the defender
          tourney I won, I spent a good deal of time in between ends reglueing
          points back onto my arrows as the targets kept 'eating' them.

          I shot between 2-5 times a week for 20 min to 3 hours this year. This
          does not seem like an extreme amount of practice to me. I would also
          have some rest periods when my health would not be well. I also tried
          switching to a different recurve. This was a mystery that I needed to
          solve. I noticed that my arcuarius brother has been shooting the same
          8-12 arrows all year with no issues. He uses old growth/high altitude
          port orford cedar (from David). Then I found that Master David
          McDougalls, while not in the SCA, is selling arrows from his 'old
          Rivendell stock'. After a few weeks of not shooting during November, I
          shot the arrows David made for me and didn't exceed my 'best scores at
          20 yds' but I did get a beer shot and the arrows clustered fairly
          well. We have some more tuning to do to my bow, but I expect that I
          shall not have equipment issues anytime soon like I have with the
          Sitka Spruce arrows this year.

          --
          YIS,
          Signora Caterina Fortuna
          Message 5 of 14 , Dec 7, 2011
            Since I make arrows a have a spline tester, and check them often. I
            live in the Seattle area and flew to San Diego for work and shot
            there. The arrows were in my bow case in luggage. I have spoken to
            several long time bowyers and arrowsmiths and they said that the cedar
            bales were most likely the reason. The arrows were made for the bow
            and had been shot only couple months prior even though they were made
            a year before (I have several hundred arrows made up for my bows, I
            have 8). I have been using the sitka spruce arrows since and had no
            issues, in fact I am back in San Diego and have my bow with me and
            will be shooting this week. No, I have not noticed any change in the
            spline of the spruce (and I do check).