Re: [SCA-Archery] Arrow question

  • Taslen
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 5, 2011
      Hmm would make for some interesting "flaming arrows".

      Gaelen O'Grady
      Midrealm archery marshal of the field

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 5, 2011
        For the amount of money involved, I think I would stay with cedar. 3 Rivers has the Port Orford Cedar shafts
        on sale BTW

        http://www.3riversarchery.com/Arrows+Shafting+Wood_c58_s158_p213_thumb.html

        The newspaper article for compressed shafts is from 1958.

        I'd like to try the yellow cedar shafts mentioned on Stickbow and see how durable they are!

        Dirk Edward of Frisia

        Dearg,
        The only references I can find about pressed (compressed) wood arrows is Ramin and Forgewood. They may not
        be the same as what you are referring to.

        http://www.alaskafrontierarchery.com/ and

        http://www.stickbow.com/FEATURES/ARROWMAKING/wood.cfm and this
        http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1310&dat=19581023&id=ovRVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=cuIDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6691,4459085

        You can run a shaft through a compression sleeve to get a harder shaft of PO Cedar or Sitka and they are
        acceptable. I believe you can use laminated shafts. Several archery suppliers sale the Ramin as kids arrows.
        If they are acceptable, just make sure they are safe for the bow poundage.

        Ld. Eduard deWitte
        Order of the Kings Missiliers, Atlantia
        Order of the Yeoman of the Sacred Stone
        Archery Marshal, Barony or Sacred Stone
        House Askoldsson
      • Ron Hockett

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 5, 2011
            SCA members using carbon arrows?!

            LoCM

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 5, 2011
              On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 10:18 AM, brett wilson <locm66801@...> wrote:

              SCA members using carbon arrows?!

              LoCM

              Umm, Nowhere did he say they were sca archers. See, he _travels for work_ ...

              AND

              Using carbon arrows for training is not against the rules. Only at events and for scoring purposes.

              William Arwemakere
            • ronhockett8@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 5, 2011
                No. I use whatever range that is available at the time. This range is in Balboa Park.
                Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                From: brett wilson <locm66801@...>
                Sender: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 10:18:37 -0800 (PST)
                To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com<SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 5, 2011
                Sorry to confuse anyone. I was using a private range in San Diego that is open to the public (it has to be open to public because it is on the park grounds) in Balboa Park, San Diego. They were not SCA, both were shooting #50 recurves. Both changed to carbon after having cedar shatter on impact of the target butt. I was shooting a #52 long bow @ 28", 11/32 cedar shafts. I make my own arrows and got the shafts from 3 Rivers, I haven't had any trouble with them before or since. But now I shoot the sitka spruce.

                From: brett wilson <locm66801@...>
                Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 10:18:37 -0800 (PST)

                Message 8 of 14 , Dec 6, 2011
                  "I have started using Sitka Spruce for their durability.<snipped>In
                  San Diego I shot into wet cedar compressed targets at the achery range
                  and some of the shafts shattered (5 out of 12), the shafts were less
                  than a year old with no other issues. Not so with the sitka spruce. I
                  ask a couple of the members there if they had issues and they replied
                  they had and they had switched to carbon."

                  ****
                  Salutations!

                  How is sitka durable? Did you shoot compressed cedar shafts? And which
                  ones shattered? Did the arrows (less than a year old) suffer
                  temperature changes, get straightened and checked regularly, or get
                  shot frequently? I'm also confused about the 'members switched to
                  carbon' comment. I find that carbon shoots differently from wood and
                  that if I practice with arrows that I can't compete with, I have to
                  'get used to' my SCA shafts again. Which defeats the purpose of me
                  practicing as I am tired of unlearning bad habits of coping with
                  crappy shafts.

                  At the beginning of this year, I started shooting with Sitka Spruce
                  arrows. Combined with my acquisition of a wonderful and old recurve
                  (Ventura), I have attained a royal round average of 90 in the Kingdom
                  of AnTir in the open category for 2011. I shot a 35 for 2010. I did
                  enjoy shooting sitka as they are light and fly superbly off of a 30#
                  bow. Unfortunately, I've shot the spine weight out of 3 dozen sitka
                  spruce arrows this year. I would shoot well, then peak, and then my
                  accuracy would decline past the month or two of shooting well.

                  I kept making excuses for my decline, then buy another dozen shafts
                  only to repeat the process. It was only last month when I had my most
                  recent set spine weight tested. They had lost about 10# of spine
                  weight. I had 6 arrows when I was to start participating in the Winter
                  Challenge, when one arrow became suddenly soft behind the point. The
                  rest of the (dozen) arrows had either split through the nock or
                  shattered or were 'robin hooded'. Between that and the issue with
                  brass points, I have since decided to not go with Sitka again. Also,
                  brass does not like to stick to wood. In fact, during the defender
                  tourney I won, I spent a good deal of time in between ends reglueing
                  points back onto my arrows as the targets kept 'eating' them.

                  I shot between 2-5 times a week for 20 min to 3 hours this year. This
                  does not seem like an extreme amount of practice to me. I would also
                  have some rest periods when my health would not be well. I also tried
                  switching to a different recurve. This was a mystery that I needed to
                  solve. I noticed that my arcuarius brother has been shooting the same
                  8-12 arrows all year with no issues. He uses old growth/high altitude
                  port orford cedar (from David). Then I found that Master David
                  McDougalls, while not in the SCA, is selling arrows from his 'old
                  Rivendell stock'. After a few weeks of not shooting during November, I
                  shot the arrows David made for me and didn't exceed my 'best scores at
                  20 yds' but I did get a beer shot and the arrows clustered fairly
                  well. We have some more tuning to do to my bow, but I expect that I
                  shall not have equipment issues anytime soon like I have with the
                  Sitka Spruce arrows this year.

                  --
                  YIS,
                  Signora Caterina Fortuna
                  Message 9 of 14 , Dec 7, 2011
                    Since I make arrows a have a spline tester, and check them often. I
                    live in the Seattle area and flew to San Diego for work and shot
                    there. The arrows were in my bow case in luggage. I have spoken to
                    several long time bowyers and arrowsmiths and they said that the cedar
                    bales were most likely the reason. The arrows were made for the bow
                    and had been shot only couple months prior even though they were made
                    a year before (I have several hundred arrows made up for my bows, I
                    have 8). I have been using the sitka spruce arrows since and had no
                    issues, in fact I am back in San Diego and have my bow with me and
                    will be shooting this week. No, I have not noticed any change in the
                    spline of the spruce (and I do check).