Re: [SCA-Archery] Archers Knives And Short Swords

  • richard johnson
    Message 1 of 58 , Nov 4, 2011
      I agree.
      Most short-swords are either long knives or short broadswords and way too heavy.

      I see a short-sword for an archer as a last-ditch defence weapon, NOT a combat weapon.  Something that is small and light and effecticve but does not get in the way.

      An archer isn't about to attack a mounted knight or a trained soldier in maile. He is a sniper who sees defence as running away and letting the soldiers protect him so he can do his job... taking out the enemy from a distance.

      So it would have a blade between 18-20" and fairly light.  NOT a Gladius.  Not a Celtic Leaf-blade.  Possibly a Kindjal.

      On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 4:54 AM, Caley <caoillainn1@...> wrote:

      Truth be told, I'm been considering buying an archer's short
      sword, but the ones I've found online were all too long. The
      manufacturers obviously don't know what a short sword *is*.
      From what I've read, they were rarely more than 24" long,
      since anything longer would interfere with their ability to shoot
      their arrows. Having tried to do archery while wearing a long
      sword, I must agree with this. Please contact me off list,
      although I'm going to an event straight from work this evening
      and won't get back til around noon on Sunday.

      Caley

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
      Message 58 of 58 , Nov 8, 2011
        hopefully we can drum up some buisness you way,

        Gaelen