Re: [SCA-Archery] another Question About Crossbows

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2011
      William,

      If it has an original prod, it is Aluminum.  Powermasters never came with steel prods.  Later, circa 1975, Whamo sold Powermaster to another sporting goods manufacturer and they switched to a composite prod.  The composites pretty much all quickly broke.  Hence the demise of Powermaster crossbows circa 1976.

      The original prods were straight and had no tip rise which would have reduced string drag.  Theoretically this was done intentionally to brake the prods motion.  The aluminum prods would snap with no string drag after only a couple accidental or intentional releases with no projectile in the rails.  It was better to frequently buy a new string than to have to frequently purchase a new prod.

      To reduce string drag you have three options.  The first is to use plenty of beeswax on the center serving of the string and on the rails.  The second is to angle the prod slightly forward which will raise the end nocks and reduce the downward force of the center serving of the string on the rails.  This will require you to custom manufacture a replacement for the L bolt that holds the prod in place.  The third option is to buy a replacement steel prod from me.  The prods I make have some tip rise.  You can keep the original Al prod as a spare .

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

      >            At
      09:26 AM 11/2/2011, you wrote:

      This makes wonder about my Powermaster, It has a oem steel prod on it. I thought it was an aftermarket but Master Iolo said it was a original piece. The bad part about it is that rides real heavy on the stock and I am looking for a way to get the string to sit just above the stock to lessen string wear and increase speed.
      Also does anyone know where to get a replacement rear peep site? The LW marshalls at gulf wars a few years back had me remove it and now its lost.

      -William Arthur of Huntington

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, J C Ronsen <jcronsen@...> wrote:

      > The powermasters came with a 75# aluminum prod. The were made from the mid 50's until 1981 or '82. I own several and have broken many of the prods (nine in five years). Two years ago I bought a steel prod from Alchem and I have been very happy with it. Compared to buying a "new" powermaster in Ebay just for the prod, it was worth the money. I would highly reccomend replacing the prod with something new: the youngest the OEM prods are is 29 year old. If the crossbow was never used, great; keep it. However, from personal experience, the OEM prods can go from "works fine" to "SNAP!" without any notice.
      >
      > I don't mean to frighten you: it isn't a death trap, but getting a replacement steel prod will save you the heartache of having the thing snap in the middle of a competition (mine rarely broke at practice).
      >

      > Baron Caleb Reynolds
      > Scarlet Guard of AEthelmearc.
      >

      > Nov 1, 2011 12:54:27 PM, SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      >

      > Most were around 60#

    • James Koch
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 2, 2011
        Ld. Eduard,

        What you are describing sounds like a Crossbowman crossbow.  Of course it could be a very early model Powermaster.  The first Powermasters back in the late 40s had push up releases as did later Powermaster pistol crossbows.

        Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

        >At 10:29 AM 11/2/2011, you wrote:

        Christian,  I have one of the Power-Master bows also.  Mine still has the steal cable for a string.  The trigger is has a double hook holding the cable which would probably destroy a fiber type of string.  The guide rails for the bolt are also aluminum.

        Ld. Eduard deWitte