Re: [SCA-Archery] Question About Crossbows

  • Caley
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
      >> How many crossbow shooters are using a claplock mechanism?

      Is a claplock a strip of bent metal designed to keep the arrow in the
      groove? Mine was so loose I finally took it off since I couldn't tighten it.

      Caley
    • Siegfried
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
        No, that's a bolt clip. A claplock is a crossbow lock mechanism.
        Different from a rolling nut, or a notch lock.

        Wherein there is a notch in the crossbow that the string 'wants to
        leave'. And a capture mechanism that 'claps' down on top of the string,
        and holds it in place.

        Here is a picture of one variation of said mechanism:
        http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/Todd1arrow/claplock1242.jpg

        Siegfried

        On 11/1/11 9:43 AM, Caley wrote:
        >>> How many crossbow shooters are using a claplock mechanism?
        >
        > Is a claplock a strip of bent metal designed to keep the arrow in the
        > groove? Mine was so loose I finally took it off since I couldn't tighten it.
        >

        > Caley
        >

        > ------------------------------------

      • John Edgerton
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
          I use a cocking level.  However, before I reached my current advanced age ;-), I could cock my 150 pound Barnet by hand.

          Jon

          On Nov 1, 2011, at 5:19 AM, Harry Billings wrote:

          Sir Jon do you span that by hand or use a cocking aid? I have a 120 lb prod and it is all I can cock by hand.

          plachoya
          Ansteorra

          Yes, I did.  I used the Delrin because machining  metal is something I am not set up to do in my garage.  And the Delrin contact surfaces are very smooth and gives a good smooth release. The crossbow is 150 lb.  I do not know if I would try it on anything over 200.

          Jon

          ExternalClassecxygrp-mkpd8d8d8;font-family:Arial;padding:010pxExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpecxads10pxExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClass10px10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassff7900ExternalClassecxunderlineExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassecxdiv#ygrp-mlmsgecxygrp-msg10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClasssize:77ExternalClasssize:77ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClasstextareafont:99ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClassecxygrp-msgExternalClassecxygrp-msgExternalClassff7900ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClasssize:77ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass

        • Edward deWitt
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2011
            Where can I find a diagram of how to make a claplock or to even by one?

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 2, 2011
              You can buy one here: http://alcheminc.com/crossbow.html