Re: [SCA-Archery] Question About Crossbows

  • Siegfried
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
      The only real difference that moving to a claplock did for me, was add a
      little speed over my previous rolling nut.

      To the order, once I was used to it, of adding 1 shot in a speed round.

      Therefore, RR score jumped, potentially, in the order of 5 points.
      (More likely, 4 on an average shoot *grin*)

      Siegfried

      On 10/31/11 4:34 PM, James Koch wrote:
      > Gentlemen & Ladies,
      > >
      > How many crossbow shooters are using a claplock mechanism? If so,
      > when you made the switch, how many points did you gain on your Royal
      > Round or IKAC score?
      > >
      > Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
      >

      > ------------------------------------

    • Caley
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
        >> How many crossbow shooters are using a claplock mechanism?

        Is a claplock a strip of bent metal designed to keep the arrow in the
        groove? Mine was so loose I finally took it off since I couldn't tighten it.

        Caley
      • Siegfried
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
          No, that's a bolt clip. A claplock is a crossbow lock mechanism.
          Different from a rolling nut, or a notch lock.

          Wherein there is a notch in the crossbow that the string 'wants to
          leave'. And a capture mechanism that 'claps' down on top of the string,
          and holds it in place.

          Here is a picture of one variation of said mechanism:
          http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/Todd1arrow/claplock1242.jpg

          Siegfried

          On 11/1/11 9:43 AM, Caley wrote:
          >>> How many crossbow shooters are using a claplock mechanism?
          >
          > Is a claplock a strip of bent metal designed to keep the arrow in the
          > groove? Mine was so loose I finally took it off since I couldn't tighten it.
          >

          > Caley
          >

          > ------------------------------------

        • John Edgerton
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
            I use a cocking level.  However, before I reached my current advanced age ;-), I could cock my 150 pound Barnet by hand.

            Jon

            On Nov 1, 2011, at 5:19 AM, Harry Billings wrote:

            Sir Jon do you span that by hand or use a cocking aid? I have a 120 lb prod and it is all I can cock by hand.

            plachoya
            Ansteorra

            Yes, I did.  I used the Delrin because machining  metal is something I am not set up to do in my garage.  And the Delrin contact surfaces are very smooth and gives a good smooth release. The crossbow is 150 lb.  I do not know if I would try it on anything over 200.

            Jon

            ExternalClassecxygrp-mkpd8d8d8;font-family:Arial;padding:010pxExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpecxads10pxExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClass10px10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassff7900ExternalClassecxunderlineExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassecxdiv#ygrp-mlmsgecxygrp-msg10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClasssize:77ExternalClasssize:77ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClasstextareafont:99ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClassecxygrp-msgExternalClassecxygrp-msgExternalClassff7900ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClasssize:77ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass

          • Edward deWitt
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 2, 2011
              Where can I find a diagram of how to make a claplock or to even by one?

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 2, 2011
                You can buy one here: http://alcheminc.com/crossbow.html