RE: [SCA-Archery] Question About Crossbows

  • Harry Billings
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
      Sir Jon do you span that by hand or use a cocking aid? I have a 120 lb prod and it is all I can cock by hand.

      plachoya
      Ansteorra

      Yes, I did.  I used the Delrin because machining  metal is something I am not set up to do in my garage.  And the Delrin contact surfaces are very smooth and gives a good smooth release. The crossbow is 150 lb.  I do not know if I would try it on anything over 200.

      Jon

      ExternalClassecxygrp-mkpd8d8d8;font-family:Arial;padding:010pxExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpecxads10pxExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClass10px10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassff7900ExternalClassecxunderlineExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassecxdiv#ygrp-mlmsgecxygrp-msg10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClasssize:77ExternalClasssize:77ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClasstextareafont:99ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClassecxygrp-msgExternalClassecxygrp-msgExternalClassff7900ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClasssize:77ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass
    • Siegfried
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
        The only real difference that moving to a claplock did for me, was add a
        little speed over my previous rolling nut.

        To the order, once I was used to it, of adding 1 shot in a speed round.

        Therefore, RR score jumped, potentially, in the order of 5 points.
        (More likely, 4 on an average shoot *grin*)

        Siegfried

        On 10/31/11 4:34 PM, James Koch wrote:
        > Gentlemen & Ladies,
        > >
        > How many crossbow shooters are using a claplock mechanism? If so,
        > when you made the switch, how many points did you gain on your Royal
        > Round or IKAC score?
        > >
        > Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
        >

        > ------------------------------------

      • Caley
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
          >> How many crossbow shooters are using a claplock mechanism?

          Is a claplock a strip of bent metal designed to keep the arrow in the
          groove? Mine was so loose I finally took it off since I couldn't tighten it.

          Caley
        • Siegfried
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
            No, that's a bolt clip. A claplock is a crossbow lock mechanism.
            Different from a rolling nut, or a notch lock.

            Wherein there is a notch in the crossbow that the string 'wants to
            leave'. And a capture mechanism that 'claps' down on top of the string,
            and holds it in place.

            Here is a picture of one variation of said mechanism:
            http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/Todd1arrow/claplock1242.jpg

            Siegfried

            On 11/1/11 9:43 AM, Caley wrote:
            >>> How many crossbow shooters are using a claplock mechanism?
            >
            > Is a claplock a strip of bent metal designed to keep the arrow in the
            > groove? Mine was so loose I finally took it off since I couldn't tighten it.
            >

            > Caley

          • John Edgerton

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 2, 2011
                Where can I find a diagram of how to make a claplock or to even by one?

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 2, 2011
                  You can buy one here: http://alcheminc.com/crossbow.html