Re: [SCA-Archery] Question About Crossbows

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 31, 2011
      Yes, I did.  I used the Delrin because machining  metal is something I am not set up to do in my garage.  And the Delrin contact surfaces are very smooth and gives a good smooth release. The crossbow is 150 lb.  I do not know if I would try it on anything over 200.

      Jon
      On Oct 31, 2011, at 6:14 PM, James Koch wrote:

      Jon,

      Did you make the mechanism yourself?  Why Delrin instead of metal?

      Jim "Gladius The Alchemist"

      >At 06:24 PM 10/31/2011, you wrote:

      I am using a three axle claplock made of Delrin with a Delrin lever and trigger.
      RR went up about 5 points.

      Jon, West
      On Oct 31, 2011, at 1:34 PM, James Koch wrote:

      Gentlemen & Ladies,

      How many crossbow shooters are using a claplock mechanism? If so,
      when you made the switch, how many points did you gain on your Royal
      Round or IKAC score?

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

    • Harry Billings
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
        Sir Jon do you span that by hand or use a cocking aid? I have a 120 lb prod and it is all I can cock by hand.

        plachoya
        Ansteorra

        Yes, I did.  I used the Delrin because machining  metal is something I am not set up to do in my garage.  And the Delrin contact surfaces are very smooth and gives a good smooth release. The crossbow is 150 lb.  I do not know if I would try it on anything over 200.

        Jon

        ExternalClassecxygrp-mkpd8d8d8;font-family:Arial;padding:010pxExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpecxads10pxExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClass10px10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassff7900ExternalClassecxunderlineExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassecxdiv#ygrp-mlmsgecxygrp-msg10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClasssize:77ExternalClasssize:77ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClasstextareafont:99ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClassecxygrp-msgExternalClassecxygrp-msgExternalClassff7900ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClasssize:77ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass
      • Siegfried
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
          The only real difference that moving to a claplock did for me, was add a
          little speed over my previous rolling nut.

          To the order, once I was used to it, of adding 1 shot in a speed round.

          Therefore, RR score jumped, potentially, in the order of 5 points.
          (More likely, 4 on an average shoot *grin*)

          Siegfried

          On 10/31/11 4:34 PM, James Koch wrote:
          > Gentlemen & Ladies,
          > >
          > How many crossbow shooters are using a claplock mechanism? If so,
          > when you made the switch, how many points did you gain on your Royal
          > Round or IKAC score?
          > >
          > Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
          >

          > ------------------------------------

        • Caley
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
            >> How many crossbow shooters are using a claplock mechanism?

            Is a claplock a strip of bent metal designed to keep the arrow in the
            groove? Mine was so loose I finally took it off since I couldn't tighten it.

            Caley
          • Siegfried
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
              No, that's a bolt clip. A claplock is a crossbow lock mechanism.
              Different from a rolling nut, or a notch lock.

              Wherein there is a notch in the crossbow that the string 'wants to
              leave'. And a capture mechanism that 'claps' down on top of the string,
              and holds it in place.

              Here is a picture of one variation of said mechanism:
              http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/Todd1arrow/claplock1242.jpg

              Siegfried

              On 11/1/11 9:43 AM, Caley wrote:
              >>> How many crossbow shooters are using a claplock mechanism?
              >
              > Is a claplock a strip of bent metal designed to keep the arrow in the
              > groove? Mine was so loose I finally took it off since I couldn't tighten it.
              >

              > Caley

            • John Edgerton

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 2, 2011
                  Where can I find a diagram of how to make a claplock or to even by one?

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 2, 2011
                    You can buy one here: http://alcheminc.com/crossbow.html