Re: [SCA-Archery] Question About Crossbows

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 31, 2011
      Gentlemen & Ladies,

      How many crossbow shooters are using a claplock mechanism? If so,
      when you made the switch, how many points did you gain on your Royal
      Round or IKAC score?

      Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
    • John Edgerton

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 31, 2011
          Jon,

          Did you make the mechanism yourself?  Why Delrin instead of metal?

          Jim "Gladius The Alchemist"

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 31, 2011
            Yes, I did.  I used the Delrin because machining  metal is something I am not set up to do in my garage.  And the Delrin contact surfaces are very smooth and gives a good smooth release. The crossbow is 150 lb.  I do not know if I would try it on anything over 200.

            Jon
            On Oct 31, 2011, at 6:14 PM, James Koch wrote:

            Jon,

            Did you make the mechanism yourself?  Why Delrin instead of metal?

            Jim "Gladius The Alchemist"

            >At 06:24 PM 10/31/2011, you wrote:

            I am using a three axle claplock made of Delrin with a Delrin lever and trigger.
            RR went up about 5 points.

            Jon, West
            On Oct 31, 2011, at 1:34 PM, James Koch wrote:

            Gentlemen & Ladies,

            How many crossbow shooters are using a claplock mechanism? If so,
            when you made the switch, how many points did you gain on your Royal
            Round or IKAC score?

            Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

          • Harry Billings
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
              Sir Jon do you span that by hand or use a cocking aid? I have a 120 lb prod and it is all I can cock by hand.

              plachoya
              Ansteorra

              Yes, I did.  I used the Delrin because machining  metal is something I am not set up to do in my garage.  And the Delrin contact surfaces are very smooth and gives a good smooth release. The crossbow is 150 lb.  I do not know if I would try it on anything over 200.

              Jon

              ExternalClassecxygrp-mkpd8d8d8;font-family:Arial;padding:010pxExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpecxads10pxExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassecxygrp-mkpExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClass10px10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassff7900ExternalClassecxunderlineExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassecxdiv#ygrp-mlmsgecxygrp-msg10pxExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClasssize:77ExternalClasssize:77ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClasstextareafont:99ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass10pxExternalClassExternalClassecxygrp-msgExternalClassecxygrp-msgExternalClassff7900ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClasssize:77ExternalClassExternalClassExternalClassExternalClass
            • Siegfried
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
                The only real difference that moving to a claplock did for me, was add a
                little speed over my previous rolling nut.

                To the order, once I was used to it, of adding 1 shot in a speed round.

                Therefore, RR score jumped, potentially, in the order of 5 points.
                (More likely, 4 on an average shoot *grin*)

                Siegfried

                On 10/31/11 4:34 PM, James Koch wrote:
                > Gentlemen & Ladies,
                > >
                > How many crossbow shooters are using a claplock mechanism? If so,
                > when you made the switch, how many points did you gain on your Royal
                > Round or IKAC score?
                > >
                > Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"
                >

                > ------------------------------------

              • Caley
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
                  >> How many crossbow shooters are using a claplock mechanism?

                  Is a claplock a strip of bent metal designed to keep the arrow in the
                  groove? Mine was so loose I finally took it off since I couldn't tighten it.

                  Caley
                • Siegfried
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
                    No, that's a bolt clip. A claplock is a crossbow lock mechanism.
                    Different from a rolling nut, or a notch lock.

                    Wherein there is a notch in the crossbow that the string 'wants to
                    leave'. And a capture mechanism that 'claps' down on top of the string,
                    and holds it in place.

                    Here is a picture of one variation of said mechanism:
                    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/Todd1arrow/claplock1242.jpg

                    Siegfried

                    On 11/1/11 9:43 AM, Caley wrote:
                    >>> How many crossbow shooters are using a claplock mechanism?
                    >
                    > Is a claplock a strip of bent metal designed to keep the arrow in the
                    > groove? Mine was so loose I finally took it off since I couldn't tighten it.
                    >

                    > Caley

                  • John Edgerton

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 2, 2011
                        Where can I find a diagram of how to make a claplock or to even by one?

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 2, 2011
                          You can buy one here: http://alcheminc.com/crossbow.html