Re: [SCA-Archery] Bow Recommendation

  • Caley
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 28, 2011
      Where do you live? I have a splendid 35 lb. long bow I can no longer use
      due to shoulder injuries (years ago it was dislocated by a horse!). It is
      not new, but in fine shape. These days I use a crossbow, but so far I
      haven't been able to make myself sell my beloved longbow to 'just anyone'.
      In reading your post, I feel it has 'found' it's new owner; someone who will
      appreciate it and cherish it. It is yours, for free, if you wish it.

      Caoilainn De Bhulbh, She-wolf of Limerick

      AKA

      Caley Woulfe
    • Colonel
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 28, 2011
        Caley,
        Your post did not show to whom you were responding. If it was to me, I live in Monroe, NC which is near the large city of Charlotte.
        My injuries were also from a horse riding fall. Apparently, my left knee just gave out causing me to fall which resulted in a completely ruptured knee, a broken right leg, and (which I am now finding out) damage to the strength of my left arm. My horse, Velvet, did nothing wrong and stood over me as I lay unable to stand.
        Again, if the message was for me, my things are like "living friends" also, each of which carries memories, i.e. my various period uniforms, my muskets and swords, my saddles and tack, and of course, my old long bow.

        Tom

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Caley" <caoillainn1@...> wrote:

        > Where do you live? I have a splendid 35 lb. long bow I can no longer use
        > due to shoulder injuries (years ago it was dislocated by a horse!). It is
        > not new, but in fine shape. These days I use a crossbow, but so far I
        > haven't been able to make myself sell my beloved longbow to 'just anyone'.
        > In reading your post, I feel it has 'found' it's new owner; someone who will
        > appreciate it and cherish it. It is yours, for free, if you wish it.
        >

        > Caoilainn De Bhulbh, She-wolf of Limerick
        >

        > AKA
        >

        > Caley Woulfe

      • Caley
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 28, 2011
          > Caley,
          > Your post did not show to whom you were responding. If it was to me, I
          > live in Monroe, NC which is near the large city of Charlotte.
          > My injuries were also from a horse riding fall. Apparently, my left knee
          > just gave out causing me to fall which resulted in a completely ruptured
          > knee, a broken right leg, and (which I am now finding out) damage to the
          > strength of my left arm. My horse, Velvet, did nothing wrong and stood
          > over me as I lay unable to stand.
          > Again, if the message was for me, my things are like "living friends"
          > also, each of which carries memories, i.e. my various period uniforms, my
          > muskets and swords, my saddles and tack, and of course, my old long bow.
          >
          > Tom

          Indeed I was, since you were the original poster looking for a new bow. If
          you contact me off list with your street address, I will mail it to you. I
          can't do it this weekend (tons of Stuff to do), but I will definitely be
          able to do it week after next (Nov 7th - 11th), since I'll be on vacation.
          I'm not going anywhere, so I'll have the whole week to do more Stuff.

          I didn't injure my shoulder from falling off a horse; it was a fractious,
          ill behaved boarder's horse who zapped himself on an electric fence while I
          was leading him out of the pasture back into the barn. He pulled back so
          fast I didn't have time to let go of the lead rope. My arm was yanked up and
          backwards in an instant. It didn't actually come all the way out of the
          socket, it teetered for a few seconds while I regained my wits and a glaring
          flash of pure white obliterated my surroundings. My vision came back and I
          sort of 'jerked' my shoulder, which made my arm come back down, and somehow,
          back into the socket. Don't ask me how! I went and caught him again, and
          lead him out successfully, with my left hand, told my boss what had
          happened, and drove my manual shift truck to the hospital. Driving home was
          more difficult, since by that time it had swollen and become quite stiff and
          *very* painful.

          The next year I fell off one of the school horses, shattered my upper left
          arm into 6 pieces, broke my pelvis, got completely knocked out for about 5
          minutes, and partly dislocated both hips. Ain't horses fun??? LOL!

          Back to archery now...

          Caley
        • Colonel
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 28, 2011
            Caley,
            Whenever I try to hit "send e-mail" my message winds up on the Yahoo messages for the group. I tried your name and just yahoo.com but it came back. As you can tell, I'm not much good with computers.

            Tom

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Caley" <caoillainn1@...> wrote:

            > > Caley,
            > > Your post did not show to whom you were responding. If it was to me, I
            > > live in Monroe, NC which is near the large city of Charlotte.
            > > My injuries were also from a horse riding fall. Apparently, my left knee
            > > just gave out causing me to fall which resulted in a completely ruptured
            > > knee, a broken right leg, and (which I am now finding out) damage to the
            > > strength of my left arm. My horse, Velvet, did nothing wrong and stood
            > > over me as I lay unable to stand.
            > > Again, if the message was for me, my things are like "living friends"
            > > also, each of which carries memories, i.e. my various period uniforms, my
            > > muskets and swords, my saddles and tack, and of course, my old long bow.
            > >
            > > Tom
            >

            > Indeed I was, since you were the original poster looking for a new bow. If
            > you contact me off list with your street address, I will mail it to you. I
            > can't do it this weekend (tons of Stuff to do), but I will definitely be
            > able to do it week after next (Nov 7th - 11th), since I'll be on vacation.
            > I'm not going anywhere, so I'll have the whole week to do more Stuff.
            >
            > I didn't injure my shoulder from falling off a horse; it was a fractious,
            > ill behaved boarder's horse who zapped himself on an electric fence while I
            > was leading him out of the pasture back into the barn. He pulled back so
            > fast I didn't have time to let go of the lead rope. My arm was yanked up and
            > backwards in an instant. It didn't actually come all the way out of the
            > socket, it teetered for a few seconds while I regained my wits and a glaring
            > flash of pure white obliterated my surroundings. My vision came back and I
            > sort of 'jerked' my shoulder, which made my arm come back down, and somehow,
            > back into the socket. Don't ask me how! I went and caught him again, and
            > lead him out successfully, with my left hand, told my boss what had
            > happened, and drove my manual shift truck to the hospital. Driving home was
            > more difficult, since by that time it had swollen and become quite stiff and
            > *very* painful.
            >
            > The next year I fell off one of the school horses, shattered my upper left
            > arm into 6 pieces, broke my pelvis, got completely knocked out for about 5
            > minutes, and partly dislocated both hips. Ain't horses fun??? LOL!
            >
            > Back to archery now...
            >

            > Caley

          • aharndts67
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
              I would have to concur with this, gibow. even has a youtube channel.
              He will tiller the bow to what you want and let you do as Richard states finish the bow how you want. And you really can't beat the prices.