Bow Recommendation

  • Colonel
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 27, 2011
      I am new to SCA and I would like to ask for advise from those of the list as you are experienced in period bow shooting. I have a traditional 72" longbow without arrow rest already which was the reason I looked into SCA archery. However, it is a 70 pounder at 28". I used to handle it just fine, but a riding accident last June has left me with leg surgery, a noticeable limp, and a weakened left arm. I can now only shoot a 35 pound bow or something within that range. I want to get another traditional English longbow, however, I find that the choices that appear on the net are too many for me to judge. I would rather not spend a fortune on a hand crafted bow, as mine is, and would be very content with something seviceable for just target shooting. I have looked at the traditional bows being offered by Medieval Collectables and would appreciate your opinions and advise concerning that dealer or others like it. I would like to spend between $130 - $150 for a new bow and that is within the range that the store I mentioned offers. I will probably try to find a buyer for my bow as I don't believe I will ever be able to shoot it anymore.

      Thank you for your help

      Tom Moore
    • richard johnson
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 27, 2011
        I like http://www.GIBow.com  .  He can make you a longbow in pretty much whatever length and weight you like.
        These are basic no-frills longbows and I own a couple of these and am very happy with them.
        U-Finish-Bows (you do a final sanding and stain) are about $50. Finished and backed go up to a few hundred dollars.

        But then, i am prejudiced towards the company.

        I have head other people here mention other places that are equally good though we all would love to own a Richard Head longbow<g>.

        --
        Rick Johnson
        http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 27, 2011
          I have seen this site ( http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/ ) in the past, as well as others that use the same web design (different artwork) and same products. I have never dealt with any of these.

          Personally, I would stay away from sites that also sell "Dark Elven" armor, and angel statues and the like. The site just feels rather "cheesy". I would recommend Elk Ridge Archery, from personal experience. They have a good selection of bows, and stand behind their products.

          William Arwemakere

[...]

        • Edward deWitt
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 27, 2011
            Tom,  Many of the ebay bows are fairly good and reasonable in price.  I bought mine in 2005 and it is a 40# 72" longbow.  I shoot off my hand without an arrow rest.  I do have to wear a glove for protection from the fletches though.  It has served me well, but it is now finicky about the weather, it does not shoot well anymore in hot weather.    Most of these bows are red oak, but mine is pecan.  It is a Bitter Root bow out of Texas.  I have heard that the hickory ones are pretty good also.  Some of the archery suppliers, such as 3 Rivers, have kits with the bows roughed out and you can finish them for $120-190.  Most are backed but that is still in the traditional realm.  I will be at Boar Hunt Saturday, so you can try mine out if you like.

            Serving,
            Eduard deWitte
            Archery Marshal, Barony of Sacred Stone
            Order of the Yeoman of the Sacred Stone
            Order of the Kings Missiliers
            House Askoldssonn

[...]

          • Hiroshi Thomas
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 27, 2011
              I bought my bow on ebay from http://myworld.ebay.com/kpkpparson/&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754
              it's a great hickory bow very plain and basic. very durable. I love mine.
              all his bows are $30-$60 and like I said, great bow for the price.

              -Thomas Tegwen
              Trimaris, Barony of Wyvernwoode

              On 10/27/2011 10:32 AM, Colonel wrote:

[...]

            • Renny Ridgway
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 27, 2011
                Tom,
                Have you considered having your long bow tillerd down to a weight that you might be able to handle. You of course would want to find someone to either help you do this (learning experience) or pay to do it for you. Just another option.
                Ren / Tristan deVer

                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 27, 2011
                  Thank you all for your advice and web information. I will look at the sites you have given me. Regarding "till down", I did not know such a process could be effected, however, I would really hate to change, or perhaps hurt, my bow. She is such a beautiful thing. Someone should get to use her as she is.

                  Edward, I very much appreciate your offer to try your bow. I will be at the Boar Hunt on Sat. and expect to arrive around 10 AM. I just received my correct wooden arrows from Northwest Archery today. I tried them out on my range and they perform wonderfully. Too bad I can't bring my, er, fiberglass 35 on Sat. lol. I will be carrying my longbow for looks. Perhaps you would like to try her out. I am very much looking forward to meeting the other archers in the Barony.

                  Again, my thanks to all of you for the information. I will be considering all of your ideas.

                  Oh, one more thing, would someone tell me what all of your titled acronyms stand for? Royal Round I get; it makes sense. I do not know the others.

                  Tom

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Edward deWitt <sagebowman@...> wrote:

                  > Tom,  Many of the ebay bows are fairly good and reasonable in price.  I bought mine in 2005 and it is a 40# 72" longbow.  I shoot off my hand without an arrow rest.  I do have to wear a glove for protection from the fletches though.  It has served me well, but it is now finicky about the weather, it does not shoot well anymore in hot weather.    Most of these bows are red oak, but mine is pecan.  It is a Bitter Root bow out of Texas.  I have heard that the hickory ones are pretty good also.  Some of the archery suppliers, such as 3 Rivers, have kits with the bows roughed out and you can finish them for $120-190.  Most are backed but that is still in the traditional realm.  I will be at Boar Hunt Saturday, so you can try mine out if you like.
                  >
                  > Serving,
                  > Eduard deWitte
                  > Archery Marshal, Barony of Sacred Stone
                  > Order of the Yeoman of the Sacred Stone
                  > Order of the Kings Missiliers
                  > House Askoldssonn
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Taslen
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 27, 2011
                    It looks like a nice bow for the price for sure i will bookmark the site!

                    Gaelen O'Grady

                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 27, 2011

                      Gaelen,

                      In Ayreton, Richard bought a 50#.version from the same seller. It shoots well, but the nock grooves needed a little reworking...the string slipped at full draw. That said, for the price its a great value...thinking of picking up one of their 60# bows myself.

                      Aengus O'Nolan

                      On Oct 27, 2011 11:19 PM, "Taslen" <taslen2000@...> wrote:

                      It looks like a nice bow for the price for sure i will bookmark the site!

                      Gaelen O'Grady

                        Nice to hear I would expect to need to do a little tinkering to it for the price. I'm trying to decide whether to do this way or to start from a hickory bare stave.

                        Gaelen

                          The tillering and balance was fine, the grooves were just a bit uneven and shallow. It may have been a fluke...only bow I've seen of theirs. So, theres a CHANCE it may need some tinkering, not a certainty. But for $40 + shipping? Even with tinkering, that's intriguing :-)

                          Aengus O' Nolan

                          Aengus

                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 28, 2011
                              Where do you live? I have a splendid 35 lb. long bow I can no longer use
                              due to shoulder injuries (years ago it was dislocated by a horse!). It is
                              not new, but in fine shape. These days I use a crossbow, but so far I
                              haven't been able to make myself sell my beloved longbow to 'just anyone'.
                              In reading your post, I feel it has 'found' it's new owner; someone who will
                              appreciate it and cherish it. It is yours, for free, if you wish it.

                              Caoilainn De Bhulbh, She-wolf of Limerick

                              AKA

                              Caley Woulfe
                            • Colonel
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 28, 2011
                                Caley,
                                Your post did not show to whom you were responding. If it was to me, I live in Monroe, NC which is near the large city of Charlotte.
                                My injuries were also from a horse riding fall. Apparently, my left knee just gave out causing me to fall which resulted in a completely ruptured knee, a broken right leg, and (which I am now finding out) damage to the strength of my left arm. My horse, Velvet, did nothing wrong and stood over me as I lay unable to stand.
                                Again, if the message was for me, my things are like "living friends" also, each of which carries memories, i.e. my various period uniforms, my muskets and swords, my saddles and tack, and of course, my old long bow.

                                Tom

                                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Caley" <caoillainn1@...> wrote:

                                > Where do you live? I have a splendid 35 lb. long bow I can no longer use
                                > due to shoulder injuries (years ago it was dislocated by a horse!). It is
                                > not new, but in fine shape. These days I use a crossbow, but so far I
                                > haven't been able to make myself sell my beloved longbow to 'just anyone'.
                                > In reading your post, I feel it has 'found' it's new owner; someone who will
                                > appreciate it and cherish it. It is yours, for free, if you wish it.
                                >

                                > Caoilainn De Bhulbh, She-wolf of Limerick
                                >

                                > AKA
                                >

                                > Caley Woulfe

                              • Caley
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 28, 2011
                                  > Caley,
                                  > Your post did not show to whom you were responding. If it was to me, I
                                  > live in Monroe, NC which is near the large city of Charlotte.
                                  > My injuries were also from a horse riding fall. Apparently, my left knee
                                  > just gave out causing me to fall which resulted in a completely ruptured
                                  > knee, a broken right leg, and (which I am now finding out) damage to the
                                  > strength of my left arm. My horse, Velvet, did nothing wrong and stood
                                  > over me as I lay unable to stand.
                                  > Again, if the message was for me, my things are like "living friends"
                                  > also, each of which carries memories, i.e. my various period uniforms, my
                                  > muskets and swords, my saddles and tack, and of course, my old long bow.
                                  >
                                  > Tom

                                  Indeed I was, since you were the original poster looking for a new bow. If
                                  you contact me off list with your street address, I will mail it to you. I
                                  can't do it this weekend (tons of Stuff to do), but I will definitely be
                                  able to do it week after next (Nov 7th - 11th), since I'll be on vacation.
                                  I'm not going anywhere, so I'll have the whole week to do more Stuff.

                                  I didn't injure my shoulder from falling off a horse; it was a fractious,
                                  ill behaved boarder's horse who zapped himself on an electric fence while I
                                  was leading him out of the pasture back into the barn. He pulled back so
                                  fast I didn't have time to let go of the lead rope. My arm was yanked up and
                                  backwards in an instant. It didn't actually come all the way out of the
                                  socket, it teetered for a few seconds while I regained my wits and a glaring
                                  flash of pure white obliterated my surroundings. My vision came back and I
                                  sort of 'jerked' my shoulder, which made my arm come back down, and somehow,
                                  back into the socket. Don't ask me how! I went and caught him again, and
                                  lead him out successfully, with my left hand, told my boss what had
                                  happened, and drove my manual shift truck to the hospital. Driving home was
                                  more difficult, since by that time it had swollen and become quite stiff and
                                  *very* painful.

                                  The next year I fell off one of the school horses, shattered my upper left
                                  arm into 6 pieces, broke my pelvis, got completely knocked out for about 5
                                  minutes, and partly dislocated both hips. Ain't horses fun??? LOL!

                                  Back to archery now...

                                  Caley
                                • Colonel
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 28, 2011
                                    Caley,
                                    Whenever I try to hit "send e-mail" my message winds up on the Yahoo messages for the group. I tried your name and just yahoo.com but it came back. As you can tell, I'm not much good with computers.

                                    Tom

                                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Caley" <caoillainn1@...> wrote:

                                    > > Caley,
                                    > > Your post did not show to whom you were responding. If it was to me, I
                                    > > live in Monroe, NC which is near the large city of Charlotte.
                                    > > My injuries were also from a horse riding fall. Apparently, my left knee
                                    > > just gave out causing me to fall which resulted in a completely ruptured
                                    > > knee, a broken right leg, and (which I am now finding out) damage to the
                                    > > strength of my left arm. My horse, Velvet, did nothing wrong and stood
                                    > > over me as I lay unable to stand.
                                    > > Again, if the message was for me, my things are like "living friends"
                                    > > also, each of which carries memories, i.e. my various period uniforms, my
                                    > > muskets and swords, my saddles and tack, and of course, my old long bow.
                                    > >
                                    > > Tom
                                    >

                                    > Indeed I was, since you were the original poster looking for a new bow. If
                                    > you contact me off list with your street address, I will mail it to you. I
                                    > can't do it this weekend (tons of Stuff to do), but I will definitely be
                                    > able to do it week after next (Nov 7th - 11th), since I'll be on vacation.
                                    > I'm not going anywhere, so I'll have the whole week to do more Stuff.
                                    >
                                    > I didn't injure my shoulder from falling off a horse; it was a fractious,
                                    > ill behaved boarder's horse who zapped himself on an electric fence while I
                                    > was leading him out of the pasture back into the barn. He pulled back so
                                    > fast I didn't have time to let go of the lead rope. My arm was yanked up and
                                    > backwards in an instant. It didn't actually come all the way out of the
                                    > socket, it teetered for a few seconds while I regained my wits and a glaring
                                    > flash of pure white obliterated my surroundings. My vision came back and I
                                    > sort of 'jerked' my shoulder, which made my arm come back down, and somehow,
                                    > back into the socket. Don't ask me how! I went and caught him again, and
                                    > lead him out successfully, with my left hand, told my boss what had
                                    > happened, and drove my manual shift truck to the hospital. Driving home was
                                    > more difficult, since by that time it had swollen and become quite stiff and
                                    > *very* painful.
                                    >
                                    > The next year I fell off one of the school horses, shattered my upper left
                                    > arm into 6 pieces, broke my pelvis, got completely knocked out for about 5
                                    > minutes, and partly dislocated both hips. Ain't horses fun??? LOL!
                                    >
                                    > Back to archery now...
                                    >

                                    > Caley

                                  • aharndts67
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 30, 2011
                                      I would have to concur with this, gibow. even has a youtube channel.
                                      He will tiller the bow to what you want and let you do as Richard states finish the bow how you want. And you really can't beat the prices.