arrow shafts

  • joy
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 11, 2011
      thankyou to those who helped me out still looking unfortunately work interferes with life.
    • richard johnson
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2016
        When we make our own arrows, we have a tendency to shatter a few.  Sometimes they hit a rock, or a steel support or they simply weaken with use... but we tend to loose arrows which causes us to constantly seek to replace them.
        We can purchase our arrows from a maker or we can make our own.

        As I have the tools and skills needed, I prefer to make my own so I will have some consistency in fletching, nock, head, crest...

        Unfortunatly, I tend to shot at a Desert Range where the target support is often a pile of carpet scraps swollen and hardened by weather mounted upon a frame made of welded angle-iron and placed in a bit of desert bulldozed to make a berm but leaving so many large rocks that you must wear boots when fetching lost arrows.
        A typical walk to recover said shafts identifies a large number of broken heads and nocks and pieces of shaft, mostly aluminum and graphite.

        Thus I am always in the market for a source of affordable shafts for my arrows.

        Now buying from Asia generally gives me decent shafts but... they measure in metric and an 11/32" shaft in metric= 8.731mm.
        BUT, no one males shafts in 8.731mm, they make them in 9mm or MAYBE 8.5mm IF you are lucky.  Thus Asian shafts are too thick or too thin.  Same with their heads.
        So I buy American and I know a place in Oregon with whom I do business.

        Etsy!  That e-service where artists and craftsmen can sell their wares and works without the hassle of ebay or amazon, is  ahaven for goods that we reenactors enjoy.
        So when I did a casual search for cedar arrow shafts, I found someone selling a dozen at a good price!
        My mistake.
        In my zeal to increase my shaft supply, I never thought to ask about warranty.  Unlike 3-Rivers or Sagittarius which depends on customer service and will work hard to fix a problem, the individual artist on Etsy tends to come and go with no real recourse.  Yes you can file a complaint and perhaps the person will be banned, only to reappear under a new name.
        What I ordered was a dozen 11/32" cedar shafts spined to 35-40#.
        What I got was a mixture of shafts that looked like they came from a number of dowel bins.  Colors and size and length and weight differed tremendously.
        I ended us using them as display arrows, mounting various heads from my collection.

        I won't bother you with my efforts to fix the problem, but the theme her is to be careful of what you buy and from whom.
        Sometimes you get a deal but just as often, you get the shaft.

        --
        Rick Johnson
        http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2016
          I get all my shafts from Kellswood Krafts.  If you email them, they will send you a list of the matched sets they have and how much they are.  The sets are very closely matched.  Their web site is:  http://www.kellswood.com/krafts/index.htm

          Rupert the Unbalanced
          drosen105@...

[...]

        • Oscar Van Loveren 000724 recon
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2016
            Kellswood is THE source. They have a pile of ten thousand
            or so shafts and spend hours making VERY closely matched
            sets. Worth every penny.

            http://www.nni.com/