Re: Horn strike plate/arrow rest

  • duncan_of_carmarthen
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2011
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "duncan_of_carmarthen" <rdavis1971@...> wrote:

      > I have a bow purchased from stick-bow.com, and I would like to add a horn arrow rest/strike plate to it. I have seen one place online that sold them, sadly, I saw it at 3am one morning, and have never been able to find it again. Any leads on where I might find one?

      addendum:
      The bow is going to be used for period shooting, and so the basic shape would be more oval that would be an insert into the wood, with a shelf that protrudes outside the bow, so the arrow rests in-line with the side of the bow, and resting on the protruding shelf.
    • frode_kettilsson
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 11, 2011
        Duncan,
        Here are some pics of a deer antler (have any hunter friends?) strike plate I put on a hickory/elm longbow about a year ago.  No shelf, as the owner wanted to shoot off the hand, but it would be easy to carve a combination strike plate/shelf out of a bit of deer antler.  I made mine with a small hand saw, the pull type, and a couple of files, medium and fine.  Maybe some sand paper, I don't recall now, but that would work too.  I recommend hand tools, power tools cut too fast, making a lot of stink (think burning hair) and dust, which you shouldn't breathe.  This was secured with a 5 minute epoxy, and since it's in a non bending area, it has worked out fine.  The pictured plate was about 3/32" thick.  Just go slow and easy while forming the piece, and it works fine!
        Cheers,
        Frode

        http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/frode_bucket/strike%20plate/PB280005.jpg

        http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/frode_bucket/strike%20plate/PB280003.jpg